AANABAY01

i guess it's nothing new to say "i'm proud of my music and wish more people had something to say about it"... i'm hitting many dead ends finding anyone willing to look over my stuff and write something, anything about it. i've noticed most of the people who have success in this area have spent a great deal of time playing live, which is discouraging - i don't think my tunes would really suit the stage. anyone got any tips about this? i'm happy to hear myself played on a podcast now and then but what I really crave is reviews!

Tokyo, Japan
Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

i don't think my tunes would really suit the stage. anyone got any tips about this?

I disagree with this! Get on stage man!

BOSTON

reviews are generally about putting together a bunch of hyperbole and convincing some music journos that you are cool enough to warrant their attention. from my experience, it doesnt REALLY effect anything much unless its in a really large circulation magazine / blog / whatever. but, the only way to do that is, of course,  to have been the focus lots of other smaller articles. just think how many millions of random band reviews there are, and how little you care about those.

honestly: meh. its good for the ego and some sense of self-justification, but you would be much better served by just putting effort into making your own fans happy. the best publicity is for people to be genuinely psyched about your music.

montreal, qc

in my decade-long career of putting out music and pushing it as best i can, i have got to say, this is the #1 hardest thing. from what i can see, it has nothing at all to do with the quality of the music. ask kaneel about how hard it is to get simple blog reviews of an admittedly fantastic album. it seems like what's lacking here is a pool of writers who have a passion for the material - in essence, proto-music journalists who are more inclined to expound on the virtues of sound art than seek a promotion towards a paid writing position at a hypemachine-focused blog which places adsense dollars and distro feature placement payola above actual music journalism.

...i guess you can say this topic makes me angry, a bit.

There a gap here.  I've been looking for weeks, for some hours each day for good blogs reviewing chip music and have found maybe... 2.

Seriously.

México, DF.

Shot videos of yourself playing. But good and well-produced music videos, not shitty ones with the laptop camera and external audio.
Make an image to sell, you have to enter to the market, make people notice you. Contact designers and people that can make that for you, but under your specifications.
PLAY LIVE. No matter how, that's the best publicity, if people don't hear you, they won't see you either, not talking about them to write about you. Play as live as you can. You have some friends on a semi-pro electro rock band? Ask them if you can open their show, do something.
Imagery is like 70% of the music industry these days. Most of the people won't even notice the music, they'll know you because of your DMGs and awkward sound.

vancouver, canada

there is always the "write reviews of your own music under a pseudonym and hope others follow suit" route.

"bryface's music traverses the incalculable rifts between the tangible and the intangible; a veritable smorgasboard of melody and harmony that takes the listener on rides simultaneously rollercoastery and helicoptery.  The raw, elemental chiptune-inspired tones evoke the works of Death Cab For Cutie, Tchaikovsky, and Katy Perry all at once."
- Peter Longshoe, Associate Music Reviewer, SEMIQUAVER magazine

and that is how it is done

Tokyo, Japan
Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

what I really crave is reviews!

Assuming this isn't just a troll, I am going to take a more serious swing at this and PLEASE don't think I am trying to be negative here but you did ask.

1 - You seem to be going out of your way to keep your self anonymous, this isn't really conducive to serious blogs going out of their way to review you. Also you seem to do it in kind of a petty / silly fashion for example. In your cm.org profile:

"no more uploads to 8bc or chipmusic. try and find me =F"

and your about page is absolutely content free, beginning with the rather off putting

"Zan-zan-zawa-veia is a one jerk chiptune project"

Lets compare another site by someone with a recent good album. I can find out Kaneel's name, general location, music history in under two minutes and use this as a basis for an article.

Reviews are partly going to be a critique of your music and partly an introduction to you as a musician. Pretending to be Banksy doesn't make you more appealing, just more work for a potential reviewer when there are acres of chipmusicans who have all this information readily available.

2 - Your online presence is badly organised. for example

- Your website doesn't link to your bandcamp page
- your website and cm.org profile both link to a dead twitter account.
- Your current twitter http://twitter.com/#!/zanzanzawaveia isn't linked to by anything and has (I assume) a fake name and location on it.
- Your website looks awful, but judging by your EP covers you have contacts with some good graphics people.

3 - You don't play live, this isn't essential but it does drastically reduce the amount of exposure you get. Trust me if people will watch 2 1/2 hours of the Mars Volta they will watch 1/2 an hour of you.

So I think in conclusion, if you want to be reviewed more often present a much more coherent and professional front to the media, play a few shows and put up some personal information for reviews to use as a basis for article. Hope that helps!

England

I would like to write chip music reviews but if I expressed my opinions I know that I would just end up hating on a lots of popular things and I cant be bothered wasting the energy on hating on popular things.

I think that I would have problems even listening to more than 10 seconds of a lot of the inexplicably popular chiptunes musics in the first place to even review them.

England

You could always make some sickeningly uplifting music and maybe Feryl will review it.

You might even get into the 8bc charts if you compromise your artisic vision in order to appeal to a larger audience but then you would cease to be an artist.

Last edited by Jellica (Nov 4, 2011 9:23 am)

Unsubscribe

TCTD doesnt really do reviews, just because I don't personally have a lot of time to get it done, but if someone wanted to submit well written reviews, Id find a way to get them posted.

Jellica wrote:

I would like to write chip music reviews but if I expressed my opinions I know that I would just end up hating on a lots of popular things and I cant be bothered wasting the energy on hating on popular things.

I think that I would have problems even listening to more than 10 seconds of a lot of the inexplicably popular chiptunes musics in the first place to even review them.

Fair enough, but that's exactly the kind of site that is needed.

Abandoned on Fire

Put together a press pack with some kunaki CDs and mail them out to your favorite electronic music mags/blogs?

Unsubscribe
egr wrote:

Put together a press pack with some kunaki CDs and mail them out to your favorite electronic music mags/blogs?

sweden

The impression Ive got is that most blogs/mags are just annoyed with physical media. And want digital instead.

Gosford, Australia

e: nevermind me, i get what you're saying jellica smile

Last edited by Victory Road (Nov 4, 2011 12:50 pm)