In addition to Wizball and Flash Gordon in that Hrvatski track, am I hearing Arkanoid and MSSIAH drum samples?

kitsch wrote:

beck too, right?  i think i recall something chippy he did last year maybe...  i don't care for beck, so forgot quick...

Yeah, this.

Primitive waveforms seem pretty big in pop and dance music at moment. My theory is it's because they can clip with very little noticeable difference (pulse waves can go to 0 dBFS without sounding different) providing artillery for the loudness war. The first 25 seconds of TiK ToK's backing track are basically chipmusic as are a few of the later synths, though it's not for loudness reasons here so maybe it's caught on for aesthetic reasons by now?

Unsubscribe
sergio wrote:

. My theory is it's because they can clip with very little noticeable difference (pulse waves can go to 0 dBFS without sounding different) providing artillery for the loudness war.

+1

Westfield, NJ

This thread is the same old news really... if you listen to Black Eyed Peas, Calvin Harris, David Guetta, etc. it's all chip all the time. These are top 10 hits, sometimes even #1s. It's not hard to imagine that the same waveforms we all love so much would have mainstream appeal. These days if you are running any kind of synthesis software in the studio, you can make these sounds.

I think the real separation between mainstream electronic music and chip music is the drums. Sometimes the bass too, but mostly the drums. That's why the most successful acts combine gameboys with a real drum set, or do some kinda fakebit setup with drum machines or drum samples. It's the one thing your average chip synth can't do well on its own.

Decktonic wrote:

I think the real separation between mainstream electronic music and chip music is the drums. Sometimes the bass too, but mostly the drums. That's why the most successful acts combine gameboys with a real drum set, or do some kinda fakebit setup with drum machines or drum samples. It's the one thing your average chip synth can't do well on its own.

lame

IL, US
Battle Lava wrote:
Decktonic wrote:

lame

That and I'm not sure how using a drum machine along with real chip hardware would make something "fakebit" either

New York City

Why are people still calling any tune they hear that contains a simple waveform "chip music"?
I'm really curious, how after so many years, so many misconceptions and disagreement still occur between those who are involved into what I call the "new wave" of chipmusic. This topic can go on forever. Nobody seems to agree to reach any point of consensus.

Meanwhile I still think: read Chipflip.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Nov 7, 2011 3:43 pm)

Matthew Joseph Payne

If fakebit has any usable definition, I'm pretty sure it would be something like "music utilizing waveforms common to chipmusic without regard for the limitations inherent to the original hardware that generated those waveforms".

My experience with drums + chip has been that one does best by taking advantage of both interplay and doubling between the two percussion styles. This seems obvious, but I hear a lot of straight doubling or completely absent chip drums, as well as a lot of "I use my gameboy for my drums except for the kick drum".

Maybe that doesn't change much though - I do know that for The Glowing Stars, the human energy of the two of us on our instruments, jumping around, yelling, making mistakes, is definitely a source of appeal for our fans.

The loudness war thing is one of the best explanations I've heard - obviously there's also a touch of gaming for nostalgia there too. I'm always amazed at how easily lay people - who have never heard or thought of chipmusic - can recognize the waveforms and techniques we use from their childhood and place them. The fact that anyone can even think to say "Mario at a rave" when they hear a recording is almost impressive in a way.

San Diego, CA

the idea of chipmusic as mainstream/public comes down to what you define chipmusic as, which is probably an annoying thing to say considering that hella people have said it already smile

honestly, the only way to think about chipmusic (aesthetically) as being underground/not mainstream is to stick to the idea of a chipmusic medium in that you're still composing on video game hardware. it's an easy label for outsiders who need to categorize this kind of music, but it's a really terrible label for us as musicians trying to parse our way through it because it's a label that doesn't refer to just the aesthetic NOR the method of creation. aesthetically, it's mainstream, medium-wise, it's not, culturally, it is/isn't? it's just a tough label to work through.

I guess it's just really surprising for us (or me) because they've already embraced what chipmusic as a culture is just getting to grips with -- namely, video game hardware NOT being in the center of the music's image. it's like a simultaneous crossing over of us into mainstream-ish territory and them into underground-ish territory.

kind of like when that britney spears dubstep song dropped! all the dubstep heads lost their shit because their image of dubstep music being underground was shattered when the aesthetic got rebranded as a "Britney Spears song with dubstep in it", instead of a "Dubstep song with Britney Spears in it." when your aesthetic isn't the main idea/image/thing being portrayed in the music, you've become "pop" music. replace "dubstep" with "chipmusic" and you've pretty much got the same thing happening.

Los Angeles

1. There is no such thing as fakebit. It was a word constructed in 2009 and it should go away.
2. Primitive waveforms have been around since the beginning of audio synthesis, just because something has a primitive waveform does not means it's chip music / chiptune etc.
3. There is no such thing as fakebit.
4. Your gameboy sounds like shit.

trash80 wrote:

1. There is no such thing as fakebit. It was a word constructed in 2009 and it should go away.

agreed

trash80 wrote:

2. Primitive waveforms have been around since the beginning of audio synthesis, just because something has a primitive waveform does not means it's chip music / chiptune etc.

agreed

trash80 wrote:

3. There is no such thing as fakebit.

agreed

trash80 wrote:

4. Your gameboy sounds like shit.

Philly, PA, USA

chip music is an aesthetic and an intent, if it's not made as chip music, it is not chip music. if you make something and call it chip music, it probably is.

Unsubscribe

pfft.. college kids.

Matthew Joseph Payne
trash80 wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I think fakebit is a shitty word too, but a lot of the stuff I hear with VSTs fails to utilize those waveforms in an interesting way, and a big part of that is that they fail to utilize techniques inherent to the original medium, usually because they lack the necessary background to understand them.

There's been a million and a half "what is chiptune" discussions of course, but I still think it's a combination of primitive digital waveforms, techniques specific to synths with limited numbers of monophonic voices (fast arpeggios, voices changing roles quickly, etc etc) and noisy audio. Is there anything else that anyone would argue is absolutely essential to chipmusic?

Connecticut USA

Basic wave forms are dope. I'd rather here a commercial song utilizing a square wave then like some god awful detuned mega trance saw.

Connecticut USA

Also I don't think most major artists using basic wave forms are trying to be like chiptune or steal from it. They are just like... ooooh square wave sounds nice : ]

Los Angeles
kineticturtle wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I think fakebit is a shitty word too, but a lot of the stuff I hear with VSTs fails to utilize those waveforms in an interesting way

Or more that it seems the most popular vsts generally suck and miss the mark. Re: magical 8bit