45 responses, 4 of which suggested mainstream sounds probably influenced by chip music, 41 of which bitched about what is or isn't mainstream or chip music.

As a scene you're probably lacking in groupies.

Unsubscribe

Congrats on being the voice of reason! Myopic threads of the world salute you!

cue

"it's not a groupie if they had fake breasts"

etc...

San Francisco

so.... what the hell is adding an s to chiptune?

uhajdafdfdfa

the plural of tune is tunes

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩
The Handle wrote:

The term "chip music" is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I would call those examples "Dance music" more than anything else. Chiptune, to me, will always be associated with sounds from the classic gaming consoles and computers.

Well whatever you say man

om wrote:

45 responses, 4 of which suggested mainstream sounds probably influenced by chip music, 41 of which bitched about what is or isn't mainstream or chip music.

Because we don't give a shit about your stupid thread?

Los Angeles
Reteris wrote:

Don't know about that, a discussion is a discussion. Think there have been some useful things posted here.

om wrote:

Precisely what music hasn't been influenced by other forms of music?
I'd argue it's just as relevant to ask what chiptunes/music tracks have been directly influenced by mainstream music. Countless? Everything is connected, welcome to the future. wink

Bring on the Vengabus!

Reteris wrote:

You (both ? royal ?) read 3 pages to type that ?

That's like Zen and Tantric and stuff.

Sweden

To get back on topic, there was a swedish TV ad maybe a year ago that was made to look like a cracktro, complete with a scroller and a 4-channel chiptune. I think they've finally found my weak spot!

Calling Calvin Harris or anything like that chipmusic seems like quite a stretch, though. I don't think that chipmusic is so much about the sounds; it's how the sounds are utilized and to some extent the technology behind them that matters.

Westfield, NJ

Getting back on topic:

Gwen Stefani "Harajuku Mini" for Target stores.

trash80 wrote:

Or more that it seems the most popular vsts generally suck and miss the mark. Re: magical 8bit

Ahaha dear god that one was a piece of crap

And the phrase "fakebit" definitely needs to die.

Last edited by The Handle (Nov 8, 2011 12:54 pm)

New York City
kineticturtle wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I think fakebit is a shitty word too, but a lot of the stuff I hear with VSTs fails to utilize those waveforms in an interesting way, and a big part of that is that they fail to utilize techniques inherent to the original medium, usually because they lack the necessary background to understand them.

That sounds to me like I could replace "VSTs" with "Game Boy", and the cause is not the tool used but who is behind it.

San Diego, CA
akira^8GB wrote:
kineticturtle wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I think fakebit is a shitty word too, but a lot of the stuff I hear with VSTs fails to utilize those waveforms in an interesting way, and a big part of that is that they fail to utilize techniques inherent to the original medium, usually because they lack the necessary background to understand them.

That sounds to me like I could replace "VSTs" with "Game Boy", and the cause is not the tool used but who is behind it.

2 things:

1. I think Matt has a point about inherent techniques though -- it's a lot more difficult to produce good music on a VST because there's just a lot more to know. Not that anyone isn't capable of producing good music, it's just difficult, and people really dislike difficulty sad

2. However, "original medium" in this case is a lot more complex and ambiguous than I'd like to tackle in these couple minutes I have left, so that says something. I don't know what it says but it definitely says something.

CHIPTUNE

re:linde, this was the cracktro-commercial that was on national swedish tv. (i guess it's OT, sorriii)

Los Angeles
goto80 wrote:

re:linde, this was the cracktro-commercial that was on national swedish tv. (i guess it's OT, sorriii)

hahaha awesome. So bad it's great!