Playboy Man-Baby
Insert Joint wrote:
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

I said it once, and I'll say it again:
(lsdj)
Step 1: Create rough bare bones of the song, with various melodies/basslines/drum beats/etc. at the ready, to be triggered nonlinear...ly. This ensures unique (albeit occasionally batshit nonsensical) performances of the song.
Step 2: Spread out some empty chains and surround them with breakdowns/bridges, so that you can actively place notes into them and smoothly build up a melody/beat/whatever you subtracted, as the pattern plays out (Timing this requires some practice)
Step 3: Alternate endings or something
Step 4: Cry and give up and use lsdj keyboard (or famitracker's keyboard mode on a laptop)

That's exatly what I do. As I'm first of all a techno artist, that use to play live with machines and synths, I instinctively (not sure about this word ... sorry) make music by creating patterns and arranging them live.

I just prefer it because I don't see the appeal of essentially lying to a crowd of people by jumping up and down and doing nothing. At the very least, people could solo/mute channels and change parameters/octaves/etc.

Step 2 was really fucking hard to get good at, but the practice pays off when you can just have pentatonic arpeggios and shit rip into the track out of nowhere. Having perfect pitch kind of helps too, since you basically have to write stuff into chains without being able to hear it while you're writing.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Jun 12, 2013 3:08 am)

Nothing wrong with solo-laptop performances.

Matthew Joseph Payne

There's a LOT wrong with SOME solo-laptop performances, but nothing wrong with others.

kineticturtle wrote:

There's a LOT wrong with SOME solo-laptop performances, but nothing wrong with others.

Step 1: press function (fn) key with other button to disable keyboard
Step 2: press play with mouse
Step 3: act like you are cuing shit up with keyboard, playing samples in real time, etc
Step 4: ???
Step 5: profit

Last edited by thebitman (Jun 13, 2013 3:27 am)

Louisville Ky
thebitman wrote:
kineticturtle wrote:

Step 3: act like you are cuing shit up with keyboard, playing samples in real time, etc

Step 6:???
Step 7: World Domination

Garland, Tx.
thebitman wrote:
kineticturtle wrote:

Woah, this guy has it all figured out.

Aha, but the only way I could even think of beginning to do a song live would be to do it from a mobile platform. I just (just meaning like literally an hour ago) finally got my psp to run on custom firmware, and immediately copied over my version of LSDJ and could FINALLY use it with controls I understood. Freaking emulators make it harder to learn the button combinations, like holding sel and whatever else to enter live mode (having issues with live mode). But if you're using a computer, and all you're using is a tracker like FamiTracker or SunVox, I doubt you'd get much of a "live" performance out of it (yay restating previous points)

Sweden

You can always spice things up with some outboard effects. I don't even press play in a tracker. I just grabbed all my old 192 kbit mp3 renders and play them in itunes, and use an outboard effect thingie to actually do some things live. It doesn't have to be a lot, people are content with seeing you do anything. You can add stutters with it, delay, filter sweeps etc. We put on good shows by dancing and playing good music, and no one ever comes up to me questioning the way I perform.

Brunswick, GA USA

Creating special one-off mixes for manipulation or one particular event is okay too. Bonus peace of mind for not having to worry about beer being poured on a C64 or some urchin stealing your guitar.

Last edited by chunter (Jun 13, 2013 9:55 pm)

yuh wrote:

i like how 10k handles his business

I agree.

At the very least, people could solo/mute channels and change parameters/octaves/etc.

At least people think I do things, right? tongue

Last edited by DESUMATE (Jun 14, 2013 1:16 am)

Detroit

usually I just stream my songs over youtube and tell everyone the low bitrate sound is intentional

Playboy Man-Baby
DESUMATE wrote:
yuh wrote:

i like how 10k handles his business

I agree.

At the very least, people could solo/mute channels and change parameters/octaves/etc.

At least people think I do things, right? tongue

Psht. I seen you soloin' dem channels last time.

Montreal, Canada

1. Press play
2. Hip thrust
3. Stardom

it's basically this.

hardcore, Australia

deleted

Last edited by godinpants (May 14, 2020 11:12 pm)

Montreal, Canada
4mat wrote:

it's basically this.

There's way too many people in that crowd to be a real chip event.

n00bstar wrote:
4mat wrote:

it's basically this.

There's way too many people in that crowd to be a real chip event.

Also they're probably not other chip musicians.