London, Ontario

one time i was playing at a bar, a real artsy one at that. this guy who makes noise (literally, he takes chicken wire to a magnet and gets mad cred from the crowd) asked me if i was playing zelda, and then later told me i was just using an mp3 player.

Holland

It's more fun when you have to explain what 'chiptunes' are. And how they sound like.

Lots of people I know in real life think it's 'fun' and that's it. They can listen to a song or two and then are done with it.

I just play 'm some covers of songs they know, like Take on Me by loonie or Ella by cerror.

Last edited by xylo (Jan 6, 2012 9:34 am)

me: I make music with gameboys...
woman: Because piano is for nerds?

I loved that, she kind of meant it.

nashville,tn
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

I made this guy dance:

no shiz? holy shizz you win! one of my heroes,  well done. he's playing in nastyville at the end of the year.

peeps like what i do or dont. no real grey area

Austin, Texas
Jotie wrote:

Are you guys married yet?? :3

Joliette, QC, Canada
xylo wrote:

Ella by cerror.

I'm totally listening this song a lot these days ! smile

CHIPcinnati Ohio

I've gotten all sorts of reactions. I had this jamband guy tell me it isn't music. Most jam band assholes who don't know what a song is. I'm not here to jack off with notes, sorry ain't my style, may work for phish but not me. The best reaction was from a 50 or so year old woman tell me that my music was somthing special and truly amazing. This woman never played a video game or knew what a gameboy was, to hear that from her was unreal.

AANABAY01

once i showed someone an NSF and I promised them it was a song but they acted all confused because they couldn't see an album cover

oh wait that was HERE

sweden
Telerophon wrote:
Jotie wrote:

Are you guys married yet?? :3

Because marriage is for nerds.

Austin, Texas

All of the cutest married couples I know are super nerds. big_smile

The rest of us are too crazy to stay together. sad

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I got some great reactions recently from a house party I did. A lot of people freaked out, even the ones who didn't know about chiptunes. Really refreshing.

Basic reaction: "are those gameboy advance sps? Are you about to chiptune? ARE YOU ABOUT TO CHIPTUNE?! FUCK YEAH"
me: "FUCK YEAH I AM" *plays epic drum groove intro*

Good times.

Puerto Rico
spOOked wrote:

I've gotten all sorts of reactions. I had this jamband guy tell me it isn't music. Most jam band assholes who don't know what a song is. I'm not here to jack off with notes, sorry ain't my style, may work for phish but not me. The best reaction was from a 50 or so year old woman tell me that my music was somthing special and truly amazing. This woman never played a video game or knew what a gameboy was, to hear that from her was unreal.

One of the best compliments I got was from my friend's mom who mostly thought it was the same as most of the "crazy" music him and me like (Noise/Rock/Punk/Industrial/Whatever), until I told her I made it myself on the gameboy. She said I was really smart and talented and called me a genius and lots of stuff.

Holland
XyNo wrote:
xylo wrote:

Ella by cerror.

I'm totally listening this song a lot these days ! smile

You should, it's awesome. And 4 channel! \o/

Chicago IL, USA

"this is fucking annoying and boring and if you don't turn it off I'm breaking up with you"
-my girlfriend the first time I exposed her to chipt00nz

Austin, Texas

So, you turned it up, right?

Iowa
SadPanda wrote:

"this is fucking annoying and boring and if you don't turn it off I'm breaking up with you"
-my girlfriend the first time I exposed her to chipt00nz

Chipmusic, Boobs, or GTFO