San Diego

I'm not posting anything for sale....yet. I'm looking for feedback if anyone would be willing to buy these if I were to post them for sale first. Mainly because I might be getting a bunch of SNES controllers soon so I wanted to see if people would possibly be interested. It would only be for the A&B buttons of course. Sadly the D-pad is to big out of the SNES controller. Obviously they'd have some minor wear and tear being that they're originals and all. They do require a small modification (rather they need a small guide tab cut off) which I'd do prior to selling. Any feedback would be appreciated, not to mention let me know how they look. wink

Sorry they're not on a finished Game Boy, I'm waiting on parts.

Milwaukee Area, WI

I never thought of doing this, I really want to try this now. My local Goodwill gets a SNES controller or two every few months. Will have to pick one up and try this.

Fargo

Are they a bunch of broken controllers?  Otherwise I'd say don't destroy them.

matt's mind

(or you could get in touch with me about having a run of buttons made in those two colors, and not destroy your controllers...  i'm more than open to custom orders in bulk, might be cheaper too)

San Diego

Mostly they were broken controllers that I'd be getting. Wouldn't want to destroy a bunch of working controllers for something so minor. I had an old one that was trashed so I decided to try this out. The guide tabs are almost identical. These however have a 3rd tab that needs to be cut off to fit into the Gameboy but for the most part it's a direct fit. I was just curious about it since I never really saw anyone else try it out (at least to my knowledge). Not to mention if I were to get some broken controllers I'd have more then enough of these suckers laying around since there would be 2 sets per controller. smile BTW kitsch, I know you're the man for cool stuff, you're my dealer for mods as it is. To be honest these colors wouldn't be a bad addition to your line up, of course I know you'd want the peoples opinion first before investing into them. wink  I will say I like the recessed X&Y buttons (lavender), same as the original NES buttons, but I've noticed everyone that sells buttons don't have that mold type.

Gosford, Australia

Oh man, looks pretty sweet! I wonder if the "shape" buttons in a PS1 controller would fit a game boy...

San Diego

I'm not sure but I could check for you. wink I think I've got one laying around somewhere.

Gosford, Australia

Duuuuude that'd be great!

Fargo
kitsch wrote:

(or you could get in touch with me about having a run of buttons made in those two colors, and not destroy your controllers...  i'm more than open to custom orders in bulk, might be cheaper too)

Kitsch, I think it'd be a fantastic idea if you sold SNES colored buttons.  I have a gameboy myself that has some SNES buttons from a broken controller, and it can be a pain to get the plastic tabs cut down to the right size.  But it was worth it because it looks great!  Vile, you're right about the recessed buttons being desirable too.  If these become available, whether it be through you, Vile, or through Kitsch's store, I'd be more than willing to buy some.  I think Kitsch's idea of buying in bulk from him may be best because 1. people will be assured no working controllers were destroyed to make their gameboy prettier and 2. they'll be shiny and new!

Last edited by Krubbz (Jan 8, 2012 8:52 am)

San Diego

So I took a look at the Playstation buttons online, sadly I couldn't find my old controllers anywhere. But the buttons are roughly the same size as the Gameboy buttons. The main issue is they have 4 guide tabs total. 2 of the smaller ones can be cut off easily. The other 2 main tabs however are different sizes, so you'd have to trim them down to get'm to fit. Another issue is they don't look like they'd line up correctly. So even if you were able to cut/trim down the tabs the shapes wouldn't line up straight with the Gameboy. If I find a crappy PS1 controller at my local thrift store I'll give it a try though just to see how hard it would be. You've sparked my interest to give it a shot. wink

Playstation buttons are really difficult to use in a DMG. I got the Dpad in one, but not the buttons. They'd need to be heavily modified just because of their length.

San Diego

I love this community, if you think you're the first to try something you almost always find out you're not. tongue At least it keeps you from trying something out and it being a waste. The Dpad sounds interesting though. If I knew where to go to get the mold and casting for these buttons I'd be all over it. Not to mention I have a few other ideas of buttons/parts for the DMGs I'd love to get made and sell. Not trying to be competition or anything, more like the love that kitsch and Apeshit have with selling some of the same stuff and each others parts. wink

Fargo

Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea.  I didn't mean to be a buzzkill.  You may not be the first one ever to  put SNES buttons into a gameboy, but you'd be the first I know of to offer them for sale all ready to use.  I think you should go for it.

San Diego

Nah, no buzzkill for me, I love seeing that I'm not the only one with these ideas. The comment was on the PS1 buttons for the most part. Yet again, it was only if I was able to get these broken controllers in the first place since I'd have WAY more then I'd need. Just wanted opinions on the matter if it came to be. wink

Gosford, Australia
Apeshit wrote:

Playstation buttons are really difficult to use in a DMG. I got the Dpad in one, but not the buttons. They'd need to be heavily modified just because of their length.

Challenge Accepted.

Victory Road wrote:
Apeshit wrote:

Challenge Accepted.

Good luck.  The best way to do it would be to graft pieces onto the buttons, otherwise they're just fall out after they're filed down. Even if it works, the chances are the buttons will be unstable, have a bad response, and will look pretty bad.

But I'd like to be proven wrong, so I could finish my PS2 boy.