St. Louis
Apeshit wrote:

This is awesome! Couldn't you carve the guide slots out of the case rather than the buttons?

Cleveland, OH

Super awesome, ASM!

And not only do you need to cut the tabs off on SNES buttons, you need to drill the back of them a little bit or the buttons simply wont work.

San Diego
justinthursday wrote:

Super awesome, ASM!

And not only do you need to cut the tabs off on SNES buttons, you need to drill the back of them a little bit or the buttons simply wont work.

This is true. A little Dremel work takes care of that for the most part. If you have a Dremel you'll want something like one of the Carbide Cutter bits. Just realized I didn't mention this in the first few posts. If anyone is going to try the SNES buttons make sure you don't drill down to far as well, it really is only about 1-2mm that needs to be shaved out of the middle part.

Last edited by Vile (Jan 9, 2012 8:09 am)

Gosford, Australia

So I had a go with the PS2 buttons and I think it turned out okay. They feel a little stiff and stick out all goofy like, but otherwise function perfectly!

Had to file away the A/B slots because the PS2 buttons are a fraction of a millimeter too wide. I haven't doctored the buttons themselves other than the guide tabs. I snapped the tiny tabs off and then for the super wide ones I chipped the sides and then clamped together with pliers. Someone mentioned there being four guide tabs, but for whatever reason mine had only three. Might be regional differences playing a part, or perhaps we got the buttons from different types of controllers (mine were sourced from a broken silver model which didn't come out here until 2004/2005).

Last edited by Victory Road (Jan 9, 2012 8:02 am)

San Diego

Possibly my mistake. I only had an online pic to go by and it looked like they had 4 tabs total. This looks really badass by the way.

Gosford, Australia

I think it would look way better with a glossy black case like the one ASM has done, though! Blue backlight and backlit start/select... yummy!

San Diego

With one of ASMs new blue screen covers as well. Give the look of the fat PS2 face plate! ASM might finish that project after all. wink

San Diego

So I went out and got a PS1 controller for less then $3 USD at a Goodwill. This is a little bit of a better view of how far they stick out with only modifying the guide tabs. A little handy blade work on the tabs and they fit right in. Oh, and my buttons had 4 tabs on them so maybe it is a regional thing or possibly the difference between PS1&2. I'm also wondering if the PS1 buttons are smaller or not, the buttons fit perfectly without any further modifying other then the guide tabs.

Last edited by Vile (Jan 10, 2012 2:35 am)

Cleveland, OH

Lol. I was going to try those buttons once. As soon as I got the controller open and saw how tall they were I threw it out(it was broken anyway).
Would of course look amazing if anyone was willing to take the time to cut them down to sit like stock buttons. But I'd rather just draw an X and an O on PIL buttons wink

Gosford, Australia

The height of them as they are really doesn't look that bad imo. All you'd need to make them sit flush is a guillotine, a file and some superglue anyway.

Oh, the PS2 buttons FIT, but in the same way that a size 10 foot can fit into size 9 shoes. The response would've been dreadful I think, which is why I bothered to file the holes away at ll.

Louisiana

I love that people are doing this. I slapped some SNES buttons is a purple painted DMG last year. It all started when I realized a few years back NES buttons could be slapped into a DMG so I got curious with my SNES controller and turned out they fit too. So this triggered a whole series of questions by me and my band mate. What other buttons can we throw in there...and is it possible to have a joystick replace the dpad. So far I've managed to get Pocket buttons in a Color, very easy actually. I managed the SNES in a DMG, without having to file down or drill the buttons the purple one feels like its not pushing down when it really is but it is amazing to use if your a Tetris freak like I am..it helps with flipping the bricks over faster lol. PS1 and PS2 buttons in a DMG, I've filed them down a reattached the legs using Gorilla glue and it worked amazingly. And I'm currently working on getting a PS2 joystick top attached to a dpad so it looks like a legit joystick sticking out it. I've done some test runs but i have to figured out a way to more securely attach the joystick to the dpad. I'm thinking a screw or bolt and a very small washer may work. I just hollowed out the little O that's in the middle of a DMG style Dpad it was simple and is kinda fun to use with fighting games or Pokemon and Tetris of course. My goal is to make a DMG painted a modded to look like a classic arcade system.

Louisiana

Also when it comes to the PS1 and 2 buttons I find they have a better response all in all if you actually cut the DG shell to fit ALL the button tabs rather than just cut the buttons tabs down to two. For some reason it seems to help with the balance of them. You can cut the shell using a very sturdy heavy duty razor blade or even really sharp wire cutters. And then just slowly rock the piece youve cut with a pair of tweezers or needle nose pliers and you'll get a clean break off.

Gosford, Australia

Awesome! Good tips.
Gonna do a black internal paint job on the clearboy I think. Got it for free anyway and I don't like how clear looks so I'm not fussed about it.

San Francisco

honest opinion.... i dont really give a fuck.

Gosford, Australia

Cool. Thanks for the input bro!

Louisiana

For anyone interested. This is something I've been working on. This is just a a very basic idea of what I'm going for thrown together in about 15 minutes using a DMG Dpad and a N64 controllers joystick. Over all goal is to have Somewhat normal looking dpad that has a screw hole in it then have joy sticks made that have a screw end that can be put on or removed whenever desired. I am currently working with a close friend of mine to get a rough mold made so we can cast a few and test them. Also we are planning on making them in all sorts of color options including clear with matching A B buttons. Hoping to have a rubber top or atleast a smoother top for the joystick for grip and comfort. It is actually very comfortable to play with. I've tested it with Tetris, PacMan and LSDJ so far. Thank you guys for checking it out. I'm going to actually make a thread about this in a minute i just thought this would be a good place to throw it also.