Milwaukee Area, WI

Catch-All Thread for people who wanna know how to replicate a certain type of sound on their Gameboy that they've heard others use in their songs.

I'll go first. How do I get that low rumbling wah-ing kind of sound in the opening of this song? A Song for the Girl - Faking Amnesia

Seattle, WA

Sounds like it's the wave channel cycling through different waveforms each frame.

rochester, ny

faking amnesia was fucking awesome at that show.

Milwaukee Area, WI
nickmaynard wrote:

faking amnesia was fucking awesome at that show.

I wish I still lived in ROC. I would love to have semi-regular chip shows here in Miltown.

tadpole wrote:

Sounds like it's the wave channel cycling through different waveforms each frame.

Could you please be a little more specific?

Last edited by Moriokun (Jan 18, 2012 5:23 am)

brooklyn!

wav channel, volume drop, potentially phase dropping too

Milwaukee Area, WI

Awesome thanks. I'll have to experiment!

Tokyo, Japan

As others have said, sounds just like the wave channel doing its thing going through a wave table. Try setting the synth to anything but MANUAL, playing with the start and end cut offs, volumes etc. to hear some changes as like what you have shared here.

Bumping this thread, for it is a good thread.
I'm looking for the typical Thunderdome Gabber keyboard/synth.

Wikipedia: "The second frequently used component of gabber tracks is the "hoover", a patch of the Roland Alpha Juno synthesizer. A "hoover" is typically a distorted, grainy, sweeping sound which, when played on a low key, can create a dark and brooding bass line. Alternatively, when played at higher pitches, the hoover becomes an aggressive, shrieking lead."

So, does somebody know "How To - Roland Hoover"?

Thx

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkurnBpq … re=related The synths at 1:35, for example.

Last edited by Jotie (Jan 26, 2012 12:13 am)

A gray world of dread

Easy!

1. You take three of your Gameboy's OSCs and set them to saw. Offset them one octave each.
2. You can detune each channel a little
3. You split the resulting three octave saw channels into four frames
4. Set your Gameboy's LFO to sine, modulating pulse-width
5. Multiplex the LFO signal to the four frames to assign different LFO frequencies and phases to each
6. Fade in vibrato
7. Create a pitch envelope that starts the attack bellow the note, fast rises above it and slowly decays to the note
8. Add portamento
9. Give it some chorus

Tada!

Now, without being a dick: You can't easily synthesize this on most chip hardware. You're better off to emulate it, in the wave channel for example, by mimicking the resulting waveform. However, I'll say the easiest way to do it would be using a sample. wink

Last edited by µB (Jan 26, 2012 12:47 am)