Tokyo, Japan

I have some advice

- Listen to lots of different genres of music, try some  blues or classical or funk, it might give your music a twist which helps it stand out.

- Back up regularly and keep at least one back up off site.

- Take at least one spare cart and gameboy to all your shows. One or both will fuck up eventually.

- Gig often and not just at chip shows.

- STAND UP STRAIGHT ON STAGE!!!, there are a couple of occasions when I like nothing more than a view of the top of someones head, when they are playing live isnt one of them.

- Move around on stage, you stay pretty much in one spot the whole time.

- Write a lot of song. Writing 50 songs in a year might be more helpful than only writing 5.

- Try chipmusic that isn't gameboy based. Simply using something other than a gameboy will help you stand out.

- Develop a thick skin, chip musicans are loveable but can get a bit vicious from time to time.

Good luck!

Impressive so far, I am looking forward to what you will come up with in the future. Would be nice, if you try to write something more melody based. Keep the good work!

Last edited by Wheely (Feb 2, 2012 2:56 pm)

Are you using Prosound mod?

AANABAY01
Lazerbeat wrote:

- Listen to lots of different genres of music, try some  blues or classical or funk, it might give your music a twist which helps it stand out.

this especially. in fact I'd say while you're in the creative mood I'd suggest not listening to other people's chiptune whatsoever

São Paulo, Brazil

I read this thread and look like a grampa.

orange county, CA
Vile wrote:

You know what I think? I think you need a 2nd Gameboy for double DMG awesomeness! wink

I'm currently looking for another locally to do that! Hahaha, thanks though man. smile

orange county, CA
Lazerbeat wrote:

I have some advice

- Back up regularly and keep at least one back up off site.

- Take at least one spare cart and gameboy to all your shows. One or both will fuck up eventually.

- Gig often and not just at chip shows.

- STAND UP STRAIGHT ON STAGE!!!, there are a couple of occasions when I like nothing more than a view of the top of someones head, when they are playing live isnt one of them.

- Move around on stage, you stay pretty much in one spot the whole time.

- Write a lot of song. Writing 50 songs in a year might be more helpful than only writing 5.

- Try chipmusic that isn't gameboy based. Simply using something other than a gameboy will help you stand out.

- Develop a thick skin, chip musicans are loveable but can get a bit vicious from time to time.

Good luck!

Wow, this is amazing advice Lazerbeat!
Thanks alot man, i really appreciate it man! Take care, hope all is well!

orange county, CA
Wheely wrote:

Impressive so far, I am looking forward to what you will come up with in the future. Would be nice, if you try to write something more melody based. Keep the good work!

Thanks bro!
Yeah i figured i need to work on that, thankyou though!
smile

orange county, CA
Jcomp wrote:

Are you using Prosound mod?

Nope, i have no mods at all.

orange county, CA
Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:
Lazerbeat wrote:

this especially. in fact I'd say while you're in the creative mood I'd suggest not listening to other people's chiptune whatsoever

This is great to do. I'll definitely do this when i start up a new track soon.
Thanks! smile

orange county, CA
PULSELOOPER wrote:

I read this thread and look like a grampa.

Hello Grandpa Pulse. big_smile
Lololol, justkidding man! But hey, it's awesome that your out doing chiptune!

Abandoned on Fire

Pulselooper, you're still doing chip at your age?  For shame...  lol

Madison, Alabama

The most obvious LSDJ tip I can give is this: if your wave channel isn't loud enough, turn down your pulse and noise channels.  It seems obvious, but that fact didn't occur to me for awhile.  Turn down everything else to really pump up the bass.  (drawback to this is the panning clicks will be more noticeable.  Making them less noticeable takes some artful masking.)

-Work on panning. I hear so many LSDJ tracks that are mono.

-Backup your .sav. Backup your .sav. Backup your .sav.

-Whenever you listen to an LSDJ tune, think critically about it. Try and imagine how it was programmed.

-Check out other people's .sav file for nifty tricks!  You can snag some nice files at http://lsdsng.com/ (I recommend this one, because it's extra tasty: http://lsdsng.com/song/colour-television )
My EP includes my .sav: http://www.archive.org/details/Pb046Rob … BeenErased  So does Zef's: http://www.noisechannel.org/posts/1033  Danimal Cannon included his .savs, though that release isn't free. (it's worth the $$ though.)

buffalo, NY

Echo everything everybody said but I wanted to tell Roboctopus that I loved "Virga"

orange county, CA

Great tips man, thanks for that! I'll check out those files as well as your EP and .sav files to see what i may need to work on and such.
Again, thanks for the tips and help, much appreciated!
smile

San Diego
DataFix wrote:

I'm currently looking for another locally to do that! Hahaha, thanks though man. smile

If you're really looking keep hitting up the local thrift stores. Almost daily, those things tend to go rather quickly once they've been put out. At least where I am they do. hmm  Another option, if you're not into buying one that's already modded from someone here, is to scan ebay regularly as well. I picked up a DMG and MGB for $10 with shipping once. Also got a huge box of accessories and 2 DMGs for about $25 with shipping included. The deals are there, just gotta keep checking. Get the ebay app if you've got a smart phone. Awesome way to kill time if you can't play with LSDJ. wink