Matthew Joseph Payne

Alright, straight up: I hate "steampunk" shit with gears glued onto it - but otherwise this is really nice! Looks like you dyed a clear case a dark color and are letting the light shine through, which is a great and unique look, and the mismatched clear buttons are nice. This would have been great minus the gears, imo.

Did you paint over the text on the front by hand? Also curious why your prosound jack is on the front and not the bottom.

Green unit up above looks very nice, btw.

Louisiana

I guess technically is a Clock style rather than "Steampunk" to be honest. I usually post it as "Clock/SteamBoy", Just didn't feel like typing it this time. And to be honest this dye job was my first try on a clear case and I dyed it with black dye hoping it would give me a very dark case that could barely be seen through unless I case lit it. Original goal was a clear black case with clear buttons, Green Leds behind the buttons and a green backlight. But it turned out a Dr. Pepper color. I honestly hated it with a passion. I was very pissed it didn't turn out how I had hoped. It sat on my "shelf of shame" for quite some time, then I saw Thretris' Steam Punk Gameboy and it gave me the idea, "what if some one did something kinda similar with a clear boy, that would be cool" and I looked at the case and said what the hell, I'd give it a shot. And yes I've seen LOADS of shit people have done with gears glued on it and it looked really really tacky and horrible. I actually wanted to make all the gears attach with little pistons with little hole drilled in the case so they could actually rotate freely and hopefully hook them to a pitch shift knob so they would rotate when the pitch shift was rotated, but finding a drill bit that is that small is freaking impossible so that dream was thrown out the window. I was able to make some free moving parts though, which I think helps it be more unique. The watch hands near the select button move along with the knob above the screen and a few others parts as well. The speaker area is my favorite with the little month dial from a pocket watch that fit in there perfectly makes it look kinda vintage to me. I honestly like how it turned out. It's a great social piece, and I think it stands out from other "Steampunk" mods that have been done in the past. The other thing that I think is freaking hilarious is it actually matches the Skull Candy "Aviator" Headphones perfectly, which my sister owns, and every time I'm at her house I use them to compose with while wearing her top hat and sitting in a corner. We all have things that make us a dork, that's one of mine. lol

And yes I painted all the text by hand, along with the buttons you are so fond of. And the reason the prosound is on the front instead of the bottom is honestly just because I wanted to make it a little more unique and the way I hold a gameboy it's not in the way at all. I actually installed it on the bottom first and didn't like it there on this particular DMG, and luckily I happened to have a watch knob that snapped in the old hole perfectly lol.

And thank you for the compliment on the GreenBoy. I actually just ordered a green backlight from kitsch about 30 minutes ago to get it almost finished. Then I'll be saving up to buy a board mounted prosound from Apeshit.

Also, I appreciate the CC, to be honest you're the first person to criticize it in any way, in the whole 9 months I've been posting about it lol. I honestly thought the first negative CC I'd ever get on this thing would be about the hand painted lettering lol.

Thanks for the comments man.

Last edited by Vex (Feb 25, 2012 1:28 pm)

Louisiana

New pics of the GreenBoy with its new backlight.

Cleveland, OH
Vex wrote:

New pics of the GreenBoy with its new backlight.

THAT IS AMAZING.
Call it the TMNT Boy.

Louisiana

Haha thanks man. And naw it will remain the GreenBoy maybe AcidBoy. I actually have plans for a TMNT themed gameboy. Well actually 7 of them. Lol I want to do all the ninja turtles, well all four boys, Shredder, Splinter, and paint one to look like a slice of pizza.  All te turtles will be painted on the back of theyre own gameboy and buttons and backlight to match their bandana color. Shredder I'm going to do cobalt grey with black detailing and black buttons with a red backlight. Splinter will be brown probably. Not sure about his backlight color yet. I'll figure that out later. Ad te pizza will obviously be a pizza probably a yellow backlight. And do a mix of brown, yellow and red buttons to look like pepperoni cheese and sausage. I've been wanting to do this for awhile just haven't taken the time to do it yet. I'll be more inclined to do it if I had buyers for atleast 2-3 of them. But I'd want to paint then all before i sent any of them out because I want a pic of them as a set.

Cleveland, OH

That sounds pretty cool man.

But I wouldn't call it the GreenBoy. It's such a vague term. Any green Game Boy is usually called a Green Boy.

Gotta think of something else it looks like and come up with a clever name... Acid Boy definitely isn't bad but I think you can do better. wink

Louisiana

I was just thinking AcidBoy cause the screen is an old acid wash screen. If I was younger I might call it the Weed Boy lol. But those days are far behind me. Hell I might just call it the VexBoy lol. I'm never going to sell it and my favorite color is green.

Tokyo, Japan

Acid boy is fucking amazing! Is it pro-sounded too?

Who cares about the gears. That ClockBoy looks simply amazing.

Louisiana

Haha thanks guys. And no the Green Boy is not prosounds yet. I'm going to install one of Apeshits board mounted prosounds. Mainly I want it cause i really want to try one out and it's green lol. Thanks for the comment on the Clockboy, it was fun to make it.

Just a note I'm taking commissions for custom paint jobs or case mods like the Clockboy.

San Diego

I'll tell you first hand, the Apeshit PCB is awesome. I have one on my personal Gameboy.

Tokyo, Japan
Vile wrote:

I'll tell you first hand, the Apeshit PCB is awesome. I have one on my personal Gameboy.

Could you go into a bit more detail? SNR really good?

San Diego

I really like the look of it personally. On the level of pro-sound it's just as good as anything else I've used but it's just a nice clean board. Not to mention if you're into jamming a bunch of mods into your Gameboy, arduinoboy, 1/4" and RCA, MIDI ports etc. etc. It really helps keep the inside of you case clean. If you're familiar with Nex's mod blog he actually puts a 1/8" jack in about the same location as Apeshits would be located. Only difference is he builds his own board and Apeshits is already assembled, just need to do a bit of solder work and drill/smooth out a hole and you're done.

Just to show how it looks after it's installed.

Last edited by Vile (Mar 5, 2012 8:36 am)

Louisiana

You should post that image to ASMs facebook page. I remember awhile back he was asking people to post pics of them installed. It looks very clean. Awesome job dude!!! Its making me want one even more now. And Nex is a bad ass. I follow his stuff like crazy. I'm friends with him on facebook and check in on him from time to time and I run ideas by him sometimes too. I wish he would honestly do more. He's a freaking genius and has some badass ideas I'd love to see him do.

Matthew Joseph Payne

Oh, I missed that request - I have like 6 of these guys installed now, I love them so much!

San Diego

Yeah me too, I'll have to send him a better pic then.