Louisiana

Just my feeble attempt at case lighting. Thought I'd post a pic.

I didn't want to drill holes in the buttons and have the LEDs shining directly in my face because I do plan on backlighting it and using it in the dark. And LEDs in te face would hurt like hell after about 10minutes of use.

Last edited by Vex (Mar 2, 2012 10:59 am)

Fargo

Looks cool!  I've always wanted to do this.

Yuma, AZ

NICE. Want. lol

matt's mind

purdy wink

blue LEDs w/ clear buttons,

or

white LEDs with clear blue buttons?

Louisiana
kitsch wrote:

purdy wink

blue LEDs w/ clear buttons,

or

white LEDs with clear blue buttons?

Its actually your clear teal buttons with blue leds. xP I like the look of the teal on this case when the lights are off and the blue looks good also so I combined the two lol. I originally did it with green but it made the buttons look horrible.

matt's mind

awesome.  looks great with that combo!

Louisiana

With lights turned off.

And yes that's a white Darth Vader in the top right hand corner... <_<

Louisiana
10spd wrote:

NICE. Want. lol

If you're really interested I will be selling this thing eventually. I just have to get a backlight installed and I plan on doing a lot of "weird" case mods to it. I'm going for a Fallout styled damaged look overall.

orange county, CA

this looks really nice man. great work!

Louisiana
DataFix wrote:

this looks really nice man. great work!

Thanks man. The pictures don't give it justice at all. The buttons are Teal which is a blue with a hint of green so it glows blue but has this really cool highlighted green effect around the inner edges of the buttons it's really cool to see in person.

Cleveland, OH

What makes this case lighting? I'm curious as to how you did it. Did you notch the button stays and glue LEDs in place pointing towards the buttons?

Louisiana
justinthursday wrote:

What makes this case lighting? I'm curious as to how you did it. Did you notch the button stays and glue LEDs in place pointing towards the buttons?

Well I guess it it technically button lighting by definition..but yes I cut away at the button stays so they light from the bottom pointing up at the buttons. I used flat panel LEDs attached to a small board that i salved from some light up shudder shades i bought from work, so i didnt glue them in place the way they sit is actually very secure and they do not move at all even when shaking the gameboy around vigorously. They will probably be glued down eventually but as stated i have quite a bit more i plan on doing to the case and having to pull them out after gluing them down would be a pain in the ass. Also they have a button switch that changes settings on the lights. Press it once they flash fast..twice they flash slower and third they are just solid and stay on. I wired them into the DMG battery source so they do not work when the DMG is powered off. I was debating on using it's own battery source but decided against as it would just waste more space in the case.

Here's a pic of the LEDs i salvaged and used:

Not sure exactly what they would be called. But I laid a little hot glue bubble on them to distribute the light more and it helped a ton. I guess it would sort of be like diffusing of a normal led lol.

Yuma, AZ

I'm horrible with leds. I tried to do my own backlight kit once. Wrecked it lol. Soldering isn't a sport for me it seems. REALLY nice work on this thing man. Love the weathering.

Louisiana
10spd wrote:

I'm horrible with leds. I tried to do my own backlight kit once. Wrecked it lol. Soldering isn't a sport for me it seems. REALLY nice work on this thing man. Love the weathering.

Yea soldering takes practice man. I'm still not the best at it but I've gotten better over time. I used to have giant blobs on my connections, it was bad and I mean really bad lol. As for the weathering effect, all that is is a failed dye job. I didn't stir the black dye in all the way so I put the case in and it sat directly on the dye crystals and gave it that effect lol.

Louisiana

A few recent project updates.

First the Green Boy:

featuring a green power LED, diffused because when I turned it on it literally blinded me in my left eye.
and green LED behind Start/Select bars
green backlight to come and pcb mounted prosound by Apeshit...once I get around to buying them. lol

Second, The SteamBoy or ClockBoy:

I've shown this thing off quite a bit because I'm very proud to be the owner and creator of this thing.
Reason I'm posting pics of it again now is because I ordered a orange backlight and a new gold screen for it from kitsch-bent and I'm looking forward to having them both in just a few days. I actually already have the screen ready to put the backlight in. All i have to do it slap the backlight in and solder it and it will be done. And I'm seriously hoping the gold screen matches well...if not I'll be buying a silver one..lol. Might buy a silver one just to have multiple screens i can change between. Updated pictures to come once the backlight gets here. xD

thanks again guys and let me know what you think

Last edited by Vex (Feb 17, 2012 12:39 pm)

Louisiana

(UPDATE) Steam/Clockboy with new screen and backlight from Kitsch..I altered the screen a little of course...Very happy with the backlight, take a look!

Last edited by Vex (Feb 25, 2012 10:55 am)