Philadelphia, PA
herr_prof wrote:

If it was Cougar Town, THEN id be impressed.

I would pay for a Peter Swimm comment quote day-by-day calendar.

New York City
Bit Shifter wrote:

Logo use on TV is a big grey area to me, so I have no idea if they're obligated to do more or not. Not really too bothered either way.

Yeah this is what I meant. Also 10k's feelings. People are really way too gung-ho about lawsuits, "plagiarism" and the like.

As pixls said, usually people pay for product placement like that big_smile

Unsubscribe
chipocrite wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

If it was Cougar Town, THEN id be impressed.

I would pay for a Peter Swimm comment quote day-by-day calendar.

I could just text you one a day, i need the cash.

Whoa whoa, don't get me wrong here guys...I'm not some suehappy dork. I just think it's at least worth a bit of research, if nothing else. Intellectual property theft is a real thing...I give my chiptunes away for free just like the rest of you, but if one of them was used without permission on a tv show where cast members are being paid yearly salaries per episode, you bet I would be talking to a lawyer in about 5 seconds.

Last edited by cak (Feb 22, 2012 9:08 pm)

Earth
cak wrote:

Whoa whoa, don't get me wrong here guys...I'm not some suehappy dork. I just think it's at least worth a bit of research, if nothing else. Intellectual property theft is a real thing...I give my chiptunes away for free just like the rest of you, but if one of them was used without permission on a tv show where cast members are being paid yearly salaries per episode, you bet I would be talking to a lawyer in about 5 seconds.

That would really only make sense if they were profiting from the use of the logo. What damages could be claimed from this? Even if they used a song I'd be damn happy about it.

Brooklyn NY US

I don't really understand what laws / interests govern logo use on television. You have cases like this, and then you have cases where record labels are obligated to blur out logos that might appear in their music videos and things like that. I guess a music video is considered a "product" in a sense, and a logo's appearance there could arguably suggest endorsement. Although I guess a TV show can be considered a "product" as well, and yet in those cases you have companies aggressively seeking to insinuate themselves there, via product or logo placement. Don't really get it.

Fucking logos. How do they work.

Westfield, NJ
Bit Shifter wrote:

I don't really understand what laws / interests govern logo use on television. You have cases like this, and then you have cases where record labels are obligated to blur out logos that might appear in their music videos and things like that. I guess a music video is considered a "product" in a sense, and a logo's appearance there could arguably suggest endorsement. Although I guess a TV show can be considered a "product" as well, and yet in those cases you have companies aggressively seeking to insinuate themselves there, via product or logo placement. Don't really get it.

I thought they blurred out the logos *because* they charge a lot of money for endorsements and they don't want to give them away for free. Not a copyright issue, but a "why give this away for free" issue.

Earth
Decktonic wrote:
Bit Shifter wrote:

I thought they blurred out the logos *because* they charge a lot of money for endorsements and they don't want to give them away for free. Not a copyright issue, but a "why give this away for free" issue.

Yeah that's what I've heard. It would be free advertising, so they don't like that.

Brooklyn NY US

Companies don't charge for endorsements, they pay for them. If a company endorses a musician (for example), with the interest of associating the musician with their brand, the company pays the musician (or gives him/her free product). Not the other way around.

So in the music video example, if a company (Coca-Cola, Ford, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems) wants to associate their brand with the music video's artist -- or even just wants to sneak in some product placement -- the company would ordinarily pay a lot of money to make that happen.

So one would think that when logos appear incidentally / accidentally in music videos, in backgrounds, publicly visible signage, the companies in question would get big old boners because they're getting product placement essentially for free.

But obviously there's more to the story that I don't know, because I think that's generally not how it works (in the music video context, anyway).

Westfield, NJ
Bit Shifter wrote:

Companies don't charge for endorsements, they pay for them. If a company endorses a musician (for example), with the interest of associating the musician with their brand, the company pays the musician (or gives him/her free product). Not the other way around.

So in the music video example, if a company (Coca-Cola, Ford, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems) wants to associate their brand with the music video's artist -- or even just wants to sneak in some product placement -- the company would ordinarily pay a lot of money to make that happen.

So one would think that when logos appear incidentally / accidentally in music videos, in backgrounds, publicly visible signage, the companies in question would get big old boners because they're getting product placement essentially for free.

But obviously there's more to the story that I don't know, because I think that's generally not how it works (in the music video context, anyway).

Just keep in mind that in this example, 8bp is the company and Big Bang Theory is the music video.

Unsubscribe

Ooh can I be music video's key grip??

buffalo, NY

You can be the gaffer in my next BDSM adventure

Unsubscribe

I'll have to check with my union rep.

Brooklyn NY US
Decktonic wrote:

Just keep in mind that in this example, 8bp is the company and Big Bang Theory is the music video.

No, Big Bang Theory is a TV show. I was using the music video example (where record companies seem to be apparently obligated to blur logos out) as a contrast / counterexample to a TV show, where (seemingly) there's no similar obligation. The rules seem to possibly differ between the two usage contexts. I was highlighting the apparent different simply to illustrate: whatever the rules are, they confuse me.

ANYWAY, option C, which I think is the likeliest scenario here, is that they thought the 8BP computer logo was just a cool nerdy design, didn't realize it was a logo, and saw no issue in using it in the show.

edit: clarifying confusing phrasing, originally typed semi-drunkely

Last edited by Bit Shifter (Feb 24, 2012 5:15 am)

Joliette, QC, Canada
Bit Shifter wrote:
Decktonic wrote:

No, Big Bang Theory is a TV show. I was using the music video example (where record companies seem to be apparently obligated to blur logos out) as a contrast / counterexample to a TV show, where (seemingly) there's no similar obligation. The rules seem to possibly differ between the two usage contexts. I was highlighting the apparent different simply to illustrate: whatever the rules are, they confuse me.

ANYWAY, option C, which I think is the likeliest scenario here, is that they thought the 8BP computer logo was just a cool nerdy design, didn't realize it was a logo, and saw no issue in using it in the show.

edit: clarifying confusing phrasing, originally typed semi-drunkely

Thing is...option C is a little bit hard because the t-shirts are available at chip shows and 8BP.....right ?!

Lexington, KY

Blip Fest themed episode of The Big Bang Theory. Let's make it happen! *clap clap*