Costa Mesa

So I'm planning on painting my gameboy but I've noticed something on other custom paint jobs, particularly those by vex (the harlene quinzel job especially).
The logo is kept intact, is this done by a certain technique that I am unable to locate or fathom myself or do you guys simply copy the logo back on there?

England

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/161/p … ring-text/

Costa Mesa

Saw this post on an unrelated search o.O
but it still doesn't answer my question. Did vex repaint the logo on his harley quinn DMG himself or is there something I'm missing out on. (Because his logo is alternating black white black at one point, so modification of the logo HAD to have happened, but it looks perfect, hence my question)

St. Louis

I'm pretty sure Vex hand paints those logos, which is extremely hard to do.

matt's mind

hand painted

I've done it with decals, but you get a faint clear outline.

Costa Mesa

faint clear outline is fine by me! I don't trust my hands, I'm no wizard like vex. I could try but I know it would come out like *insert favorable word of exressing terribleness*
Where do you get these decals or did you get them printed somewhere?

San Diego

Yep, Vex does hand paint the letters. He's currently working on a paint job for a friend/customer of mine doing that.

TrebleChild wrote:

faint clear outline is fine by me! I don't trust my hands, I'm no wizard like vex. I could try but I know it would come out like *insert favorable word of exressing terribleness*
Where do you get these decals or did you get them printed somewhere?

Those ones I printed off myself. Search "water decals".

matt's mind

you can get printable decal sheets in the model car section of your local hobby shop, or where they keep the paint for plastic models.  they should have inkjet types there, they aren't too expensive at all.  'testors' paint company makes some i believe (testers possibly, i don't remember)

Louisiana

Yes I hand paint all my gameboys. Even the lettering. The lettering on my Harley Quinn gameboy. It is extremely difficult and takes a load of patience but its worth it in my opinion. Decals are cool and stuff but as an artist I see it as an easy way out. You do get a very clean look from decals though. I say go with what you're comfortable with man. And yes it's Testors, they make some really nice decal sheets you can grab at any hobby store. Or we can talk and I'll hook you up with a good deal. Either way you go, good luck and can't wait to see what you paint. @Apeshit That dyed boy still blows my mind. I want a case that color its freaking epic!

Louisiana
Apeshit wrote:

I've done it with decals, but you get a faint clear outline.

Actually i have a question about this. The issue with the clear outline. Couldn't you just use a crafting knife after you lay it down to cut very carefully around the lettering as to get rid of clear blocky out line? Then maybe run a clear coat of spray paint over it so it's actually painted into the gameboy and not just a sticker or series of small sticker that can peel off over time? Seems logical to do this on a clear boy, maybe not any other DMG model though if you like to keep the texture of the gameboy in tact. But if you are going to custom paint the whole case anyway I'd suggest a clear coat just to help prevent scratching and paint peeling or chipping issues. So maybe it'd work on both clear and normal DMGs depending on what look and feel you are going for.

Costa Mesa
Vex wrote:

Actually i have a question about this. The issue with the clear outline. Couldn't you just use a crafting knife after you lay it down to cut very carefully around the lettering as to get rid of clear blocky out line? Then maybe run a clear coat of spray paint over it so it's actually painted into the gameboy and not just a sticker or series of small sticker that can peel off over time? Seems logical to do this on a clear boy, maybe not any other DMG model though if you like to keep the texture of the gameboy in tact. But if you are going to custom paint the whole case anyway I'd suggest a clear coat just to help prevent scratching and paint peeling or chipping issues. So maybe it'd work on both clear and normal DMGs depending on what look and feel you are going for.

Its probably what I would do in the situation. Anyway, so I'll post my designs in a bit I have a few running designs and some decent means of getting them started (as clearboy shells are low atm, unless kitsch is getting some soon?) but as soon as my paycheck comes in I'm going to get started getting some of this rolling cus I got some sweet heck of designs to roll out.
(spoilers-Flynnboy, Rinzlerboy, 501stBoy, shocktrooperboy)

Vex wrote:

The issue with the clear outline. Couldn't you just use a crafting knife after you lay it down to cut very carefully around the lettering as to get rid of clear blocky out line? Then maybe run a clear coat of spray paint over it so it's actually painted into the gameboy and not just a sticker or series of small sticker that can peel off over time

That's exactly what I had done, but there will always be an outline.

Louisiana
Apeshit wrote:
Vex wrote:

The issue with the clear outline. Couldn't you just use a crafting knife after you lay it down to cut very carefully around the lettering as to get rid of clear blocky out line? Then maybe run a clear coat of spray paint over it so it's actually painted into the gameboy and not just a sticker or series of small sticker that can peel off over time

Did you put the lettering on before you dyed the case?

Vex wrote:
Apeshit wrote:

Did you put the lettering on before you dyed the case?

After, The dying process probably would have removed the decal.