Chicago IL

i just want you guys to be like 'it's on like kony dong'

STARDRAIN, CA
Saskrotch wrote:

i just want you guys to be like 'it's on like kony dong'

hahaha

FlashHeart

I was in Uganda year before last. Kony is still a problem but not like he was a few years ago. They've had him on the run for a while, especially because the US has put some serious diplomatic pressure on the Islamist government in Khartoum who were giving him a safe haven in Sudan to operate from in order to use him and his child army as a proxy and continual thorn in the side of Uganda. But the North of the country, where my family runs several tea plantations, is still filled with refugee camps populated by boys who were forced to smash their parents' skulls open and little girls who've known nothing but rape and childbirth for their teenage years.

But Uganda, which was the most prosperous country in East Africa does have a lot of other problems these days. Christian fundamentalism (largely fueled by American missionaries,) has increased its hold in the past year, which has resulted in a spike in AIDS and harsh new anti-homosexuality laws with capital sentences. On top of that, there's still a prevalent belief in witchcraft, particularly the idea that children are demonically posessed, and it's not uncommon to hear reports of entire villages gripped by superstitious hysteria going so far as to poison their own children with battery acid or herd them into a communal building and then set it on fire to purge the demons.

Still, President Museveni, for all his downsides (especially listening to his idiot Christian fundamentalist wife's advice on policy) has actually done a lot to combat the LRA over the past 10 years, and he deserves some credit, especially for creating a military coalition involving several not-always-friendly East and Central African countries. The idea of a coordinated military operation involving, just to give one example, Uganda and the DRC would have been unthinkable a few years ago. If they can cooperate on an operation like trying to either kill Kony or land him in the Hague, then they should be applauded for that. And if the US can help, then we absolutely should.

I think people like Downstate, who seem to adopt a "well, everything sucks and if we fix one problem another will just appear so we shouldn't even bother fighting," attitude rather annoy me. There are a lot of Bosnians, Kurds, Afghanis and Libyans who are very glad that stronger nations, after much appeal on their part, finally did something to help them. Obviously there will always be more problems, and obviously no country is perfect, but I think that people in places like Somalia, Pakistan, Iran, and North Korea deserve a better life and if countries with the financial and military means to help them can use their power carefully (which they obviously don't always do,) to help them, I'm all for it. And people who try to draw moral equivalencies between genuine totalitarian movements and Western democracies, flawed though they may be, are just flat out misinformed, if not deliberately ignorant.

Last edited by Natty (Mar 9, 2012 3:58 am)

FlashHeart

Also... Chip Music?

FlashHeart

Also, whenever people take the anti-interventionist position (which I see as rather anti-cosmopolitan and anti-humanist,) that their concerns end at their country's borders, I'm always reminded of Philip Larkin's poem "Homage to a Government."

Also - isn't the new ExileFaker EP fucking awesome?

STARDRAIN, CA
Natty wrote:

Also, whenever people take the anti-interventionist position (which I see as rather anti-cosmopolitan and anti-humanist,) that their concerns end at their country's borders, I'm always reminded of Philip Larkin's poem "Homage to a Government."

Also - isn't the new ExileFaker EP fucking awesome?

haha as lame as my replies havve been to these comments, thank you for being one of few people who weren't "Hey kool skull thats dumb"

FlashHeart

I just think these conversations are interesting to have and I think lots of Americans and Europeans are often unaware of serious problems around the world until they've been going on for years.  It's especially worrying because many of these problems are, unfortunately, only likely to be solved by diplomatic and possibly military intervention (disastrously mishandled as it might be, as we saw in Iraq,) from outside by nations who actually have the means to do it. Frankly, I'm really surprised that Kony is only getting attention now. I guess every cause has its day, huh? Here's hoping the international community gets serious about Kashmir and stops mollycodling Pakistan.

When is J. Arthur Keenes going to release a new album? He's the fucking man.

Chicago IL

the only thing i have to say about this raising awareness is that since the idea didn't happen until after 50% of everyone's facebook friends started posting it, it'll be a completely moot point once it actually comes out. i mean, i'm seeing people posting this TODAY and saying to myself 'psh old news'.

FlashHeart

Yeah, now that I've left Facebook and try not to spend too much time online I didn't even know about this campaign until I saw this post. I'm sure that if I saw 50% of people suddenly posting this stuff they didn't know about till yesterday when some celebrity mentioned it I'd be just as annoyed as you, Nigel.

Chicago IL

i mean i'm not annoyed, i just don't think a comp is gonna do a ton for awareness. but seriously though if any one wants to fight, about ANYTHING, i'm totally a dick about things.

b4by f4c3
Saskrotch wrote:

i mean i'm not annoyed, i just don't think a comp is gonna do a ton for awareness. but seriously though if any one wants to fight, about ANYTHING, i'm totally a dick about things.

FB taught me how to balance brooms wink lol

Puerto Rico
herr_prof wrote:

Whats a kony.

ant1 wrote:

my little kony, my little kony, isn't the world a lovely place
my little kony, my little kony, everywhere you go a smiling face

Saskrotch wrote:

'it's on like kony dong'

Most of the best quotes in this thread should be recorded as spoken samples and inserted before brostep drops in every track of this comp.

Melbourne, Australia

bad idea

Chicago IL
8BiT404 wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

FB taught me how to balance brooms wink lol

what

New York City
Kool Skull wrote:

guys.. it wont solve anything. who cares i get it. but imma jsut do a compo wid konyz face awn it. so whateva. its just mainly for fun. im not supporting them "inv. Childs INc." humans,... so whatea

If you don't care, you shouldn't even be talking about a delicate subject where people dying are involved. You might as well do a compo with Hitler's face on it too, while you are at it.

Thank you Natty for your detailed sum up of -real- events.
I'm tired of people promoting "campaigns" on Facebook, Twitter etc., 'click here and help this', 'share this link and help that', 'if 1000000000 of us join this event they will listen''... It's all bullshit, a fake way for people to dismiss their guilt for not doing anything in reality.

Milwaukee, WI

Hey everybody! Remember what happened last time America tried to eliminate an international boogyman?

Boy, that shit was fun huh?