brighton

i'd like to point out im a second year student studying music production, so in reality i should be able to solve this on my own...but i just cant!

right. i recently bought a usb interface, roland quad capture, so i can finally record my DMG in good quality. however when i set it all up, for some reason 1) all sounds without panning come out super quiet and all panned come out super loud
                           2) there actually is no panning heard from each monitor....

i know that each jack input on the interface is in mono and the gameboy is in stereo, so i decided to buy a 1/8" splitter that connects to each input, of course with 1/4" adapters. but again, no luck. im recording into logic pro and i have checked and messed around with each channel in mono and stereo...and no avail. i do get sound but even if the pan option in lsdj is set to either sides it only comes out of one monitor (always the right one?)

im almost at my wits end and am slightly regretting my purchased interface...whats more annoying is that i have a massive project to complete by may, which i havent started yet, because i cant get the recording right!

well, i should probably stop this rant. but please if anyone could help i would be forever grateful.

many thanks

STARDRAIN, CA

well, this sounds insane. I've never experienced anything like this..sucks bro.

Matthew Joseph Payne

What you're hearing is phase cancellation - somewhere along the line (probably with your adapter), the two channels are being merged, one is canceling the other out - until something is panned, then there is no inverse signal to cancel, so it's extremely loud.

It's hard to say exactly what's going on without seeing your adapter chain.. but if you plug a stereo jack into a mono input it will often have this effect.

What you really want is something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP159-Feet- … mp;sr=8-10

edit: in fact, you know I've had this exact thing happen when I was desperate and plugged a stereo signal into a mono input. I have a feeling that's what's going on. You need a Y cable like above to split the two signals from your stereo output, as opposed to just splitting the stereo output.

Last edited by kineticturtle (Mar 13, 2012 8:40 am)

BOSTON

I'm inclined to agree with kinecturtle, and if that's not the case there is def something weird with your interface.

this cheap thing : http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202- … B000KW2YEI plus a stereo 1/8" to dual RCA is what I recommend to anybody who wants to get started. silly cheap, impossible to fuck up, and it sounds great if you're going into DAW with it anyways

Last edited by BR1GHT PR1MATE (Mar 13, 2012 8:57 am)

San Diego
kineticturtle wrote:

What you're hearing is phase cancellation - somewhere along the line (probably with your adapter), the two channels are being merged, one is canceling the other out - until something is panned, then there is no inverse signal to cancel, so it's extremely loud.

Hit the nail on the head. That Y cable he linked, or something similar should fix your problem. Like he also said in his edit, your 1/8" splitter is just splitting it into 2 stereo jacks, which you're then plugging into mono inputs.

Last edited by Vile (Mar 13, 2012 9:04 am)

brighton

wow well thats was a very fast reply, so thanks guys. i reckon ill try kinecturtle's idea first just to check its all working...if not well sucks for me as i bought the interface off amazon a while back so i cant get a refund...i just dont wanna have to record into my PC's line out like old times....i bought a mac, and logic, and an interface, and monitors for a reason sad x

New York City

MAke sure you are not inputting it as two MONO channels.

That Roland interface will do just fine!
Sounds like your using stereocables with monojacks.

You need a cable like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP159-Feet- … y_MI_img_b

EDIT: Oops, already been posted. Oh well. smile

Last edited by _-_- (Mar 13, 2012 9:36 am)

brighton

hmm well i have an array of jacks and cables but annoyingly maplins (UK) doesnt sell the cable you've posted in any of the shops ive been into, they even misinformed me...bastards....

basically im using a stereo 1/8" splitter which is plugged into separate stereo 1/4" adapters which are plugged into inputs 1 and 2 on the interface...

bloody technology...ill buy the cable later on.

and once again thanks for the quick replies...chipmusic.org members much nicer than 8bc.org...

Gosford, Australia

Try mono 1/4" adapters.

New York City
IAMERROR. wrote:

hmm well i have an array of jacks and cables but annoyingly maplins (UK) doesnt sell the cable you've posted in any of the shops ive been into, they even misinformed me...bastards....
basically im using a stereo 1/8" splitter which is plugged into separate stereo 1/4" adapters which are plugged into inputs 1 and 2 on the interface...

Input 1 and Input 2 are probably MONO, you need to PAN them each to L or R on the DAW. What audio interface is it?
Buy your cables from Amazon. I recommend you this seller in the UK:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aag/main?ie= … 3GIMD0800K

D D D Detroit, not the burbs

PHASING!  you guys are brilliant

New York City

Hahaha

Last edited by akira^8GB (Mar 13, 2012 1:47 pm)

Riverside, CA

HEY!
...you're not peet.

Seattle, WA US
The Silph Scope wrote:

HEY!
...you're not peet.

sad I miss that shit

Cleveland, OH
The Silph Scope wrote:

HEY!
...you're not peet.

My thoughts exactly.

And to Boa: Pete still makes some incredible music!