Hi there! First post on the forums... been filling my brain with chiptunes for quite some time, and now I'm looking to try my hand at making some sweet bleeps of my own. smile I'm tooling around with LSDJ on my nifty YellowBoy, and I'm really enjoying the results. Naturally, I'm already completely taken with the idea of modding this sucker up big_smile and will be looking into a couple of choice augmentations.

First things first... I'm quite interested in a backlight. The new EL panels kitsch is making look incredible, but I think for my first DMG mod I'm gonna go with an LED panel to avoid the possible whine, and also to possibly get a cool color. Right now, my question for anyone who'd care to answer is: which color of LED panels are the most readable/easy on the eyes? I tried my best to google this, and it looks like green, yellow and white are preferred? I'm headed towards green (LemonLimeBoy?), if it's between the three, but I was also thinking about blue. I think bibin said somewhere that blue was not as readable, though. Any advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated. smile

Oh, and I will be biverting, for sure!

Tacoma, WA

If you have got a YellowBoy already, then I think a Blue LED would look really cool... (Inverted or Normal is up to you)...

St. Louis

I think red and blue are the hardest to read. I'd suggest white or orange.

San Diego

If you're looking for clarity from what I've gathered Green is one of the best. Out of the 5 colors I've installed I will say Orange and Green are really easy to read.

Fargo

I don't find blue all that hard to see.  I have a blue and a teal (Kitsch RGB backlight).  Teal is really nice.  I have a purple one also, (nonfinite RGB using blue and red only) but that one is pretty hard to see.

*edit*
If you're worried about clarity, why not get it biverted?

Last edited by Krubbz (Mar 27, 2012 11:20 am)

Krubbz wrote:

I don't find blue all that hard to see.  I have a blue and a teal (Kitsch RGB backlight).  Teal is really nice.  I have a purple one also, (nonfinite RGB using blue and red only) but that one is pretty hard to see.

*edit*
If you're worried about clarity, why not get it biverted?

I'd go for just inverted and then change the colour scheme in LSDJ to inverted. same effect, easier to do.
Also, Biversion can sometimes generate a hum in the DMG.

San Angelo, TX

I have an orange backlight on my yellowboy and it is quite easy to see smile

STARDRAIN, CA

i say solder a full screen 1080i monitor to your DMG, you'll get any colors you want.

Thanks all. smile I think that I'll probably be going with a biverted green on this one... anyone have 2 cents on whether to go Nonfinite or Kitsch/ASM?

USA

I have White, Orange, and Pink backlights and they all look fantastic!

http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/ledx3
(this LEDx3 backlight in pink is easier on the eyes than every other pink backlight that I've seen, its kind of a peach color)

But, this is the next backlight that I'm personally getting -

http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/el_dmg

If the EL hums too much for LSDJ I'll just use it for playing games.

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (Mar 27, 2012 7:00 pm)

.FILTHadelphia

Here's a picture of the white and green backlights I received yesterday from Apeshit. You can definitely see where the three LEDs are emitting light. The light distribution is great but aesthetically it's not so appealing but they are very easy to install. This picture doesn't do it much justice but they look much better to the naked eye.

These are the older versions from Nonfinite. The light placement seems to be much more fluid and even but I'm not sure that anyone offers them still. These are a little bit tougher to install and wouldn't recommend them for first time modding. They're a bit thicker, you have to install a resistor, and you have to take out the battery LED.

Left - biverted
Right - normal

That should give you an idea of what different colors will look like.

Just some added advice, modding usually makes people nervous about screwing stuff up but it's pretty straight forward and it's not as nerve wracking as people make it out to be. Take your time and be sure  to read over the instructions before installing and follow along. If you notice my Black DMG you can see a large veritcal line going down the middle. This is because I had to yank out a screen from another DMG while doing this mod because I sliced the ribbon on the right of the screen because I decided to cut the film out entirely with a razor blade rather than cutting the left corner and pulling it off. Long story short, follow instructions and good luck. Modding is a lot of fun and the results make your DMGs look rad.

Matthew Joseph Payne
defiantsystems wrote:

...modding usually makes people nervous about screwing stuff up but it's pretty straight forward and it's not as nerve wracking as people make it out to be. Take your time and be sure  to read over the instructions before installing and follow along.

This is my eternal advice.

Thanks for the pictures, defiantsystems! The ASM screens look super bright... what do you mean exactly when you say that they're less aesthetically pleasing?

The nonfinite ones also look pretty good, though perhaps these models just photograph better. Does anyone have experience with the newer nonfinites? As opposed to the newer ASM screens that defiant linked?

.FILTHadelphia
DragonBot wrote:

what do you mean exactly when you say that they're less aesthetically pleasing?

What I mean is that you can see each individual LED emitting light from the bottom (or the left depending on which version you buy.) It create three "hot spots" where the light is much brighter than the rest of the screen and for some people that might not look as good as the older versions of backlights or even the newest one from Kitsch-Bent, el-dmg (which I ordered so I'm stoked to see how that's going to look.) It doesn't bother me at all since I'm just glad to have easy to install backlights but it could be a deal breaker for others.

USA

If you want to see LSDJ even better try applying my LSDJ+ graphics patch to LSDJ.

Here is a download link to the .ips patch MN_LSDJ4_6_4+ -

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2vprr663edajjgi

(Apply this patch to a copy of LSDJ version 4_6_4 using Lunar IPS - http://fusoya.eludevisibility.org/lips/)

You can make requests for different fonts in the thread linked below -

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/4916/ … atch-more/

And if you need help or want something extra special just send me a PM with your request(s)

> > > http://www.mediafire.com/surfacedragon < < <

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (Mar 27, 2012 7:46 pm)

Melbourne, AU

I love kitch-bent's inverted green backlights, and I think they are the best in terms of brightness and contrast (not including EL backlights)

White is also good for brightness and contrast, but the pixels will be blue. This is why people recommend green, the pixels will be more black because there's less blue light passing through them.

Here's a tip for biverting: http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/6031/ … -mount-ic/