Los Angeles

So I've been working on a synth on and off for the last 2 years. It's finally starting to take shape and once I finish sourcing parts and figuring out the audio opamp/output circuit and interface I'll be releasing it.

Thought I'd share my progress so far:

It's a 4bit synth that doesn't use a static sample rate frequency to generate the synthesis sound- therefor it doesn't have the usual artifacts from low sample-rate dsp so that no aliasing is generated, and no anti-aliasing algorithm is needed.

Originally built on the Arduino- I moved it to the ARM-based Leaflabs Maple to take advantage of the faster clock for higher pitches. 

It currently has 3 synthesis types:
1. 32 step wave synth with digital filter (kind of like the LSDJ wav synth)
2. 128 step PWM synth
3. 256 step LFSR noise generator (like a gameboy or NES noise- only the pitched noise is in tune)

All modes have a sub oscillator & oscillator sync to give it some extra tonal quality. I really liked the idea of a LFSR noise generator with oscillator sync. big_smile

I'm just about done with main synthesis code and am about to start on an interface. Been thinking about using a 4dsystems tiny tiny OLED display module and a single pushbutton/encoder knob, as well as 4bit sample playback and storage using a micro sd reader.

Here is the demo of it I recorded this weekend, be sure to download the original waveform- soundcloud/mp3 conversion added artifacts. http://soundcloud.com/trash80/codename-sqrt-synth-test

\o/

Los Angeles, CA

\o/ O-o \o/

Los Angeles

oh and I'm gonna add LAZERZ. pewpewpepwpewpew

San Francisco

you sir are awesome.

sweden

Wow really nice! Really excited to follow this!

I think I recall you posting something about this long time ago when it was still on arduino and you were controlling it via arduinoboy or something. Or was that something i dreamt?

DEAR LORDDD

I wish there was an LSDJ style interface for this, basically like 3 channels of wav and one of noise...sooooo good

Unsubscribe

Preorder?

Los Angeles
herr_prof wrote:

Preorder?

New Order.

Texas

This sounds awesome. Can't wait to see what it looks like. \O,o/

Los Angeles
HolyNegative0 wrote:

Well right now it's just a sparkfun midi shield and a resistor network for the DAC soldered to it. big_smile

I can't want to start on the tiny interface using this guy:

São Paulo, Brazil

Sounds great!! Looking forward to this.

Matthew Joseph Payne

so good

Unsubscribe
trash80 wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

Preorder?

New Order.

To treat me like you do.

shanghai

goodie

Texas
trash80 wrote:
HolyNegative0 wrote:

Well right now it's just a sparkfun midi shield and a resistor network for the DAC soldered to it. big_smile

I can't want to start on the tiny interface using this guy:

Looks pretty badass to me. big_smile

Rhode Island

Sooo we can controll it with just midi CCs? Who do I give my money to, because I'm just waving it around in the air right now.