celsius wrote:

IMO the Pioneer DJ mixers have garbage pre amps. I'd steer clear of them if you intend to both record and gig with one mixer. If a cross fader isn't absolutely essential to your setup I'd go with what people are suggesting and get a small Mackie desk or something similar.

Yeah coming from turntables I guess I just unconsciously wanted to default to Pioneer, but you're right. It probably won't give me everything I need either. I'm just gonna search for some effects! Thanks a lot! smile

celsius wrote:

Also, I've never used anything by Numark that'd I'd ever recommend.

Heard!!

ultraturducken wrote:

considering what it does and at what price yeah it's pretty much The Shit. it sounds pretty much the same through my monitors as my mackie did.
and nobody needs 14 channels. go for the 402-vlz3 if you're interested in that particular line, it's pretty much perfect in every way (just lacking a usb/firewire interface)

I just can't hear enough good things about Mackie! The 402 looks so great, but I'm worried if I wanted to bring an extra piece of equipment. I think I've narrowed down my choices to the 802, or the 1202 with it's sexy alternate outputs :3

Last edited by xombiexplox (Apr 12, 2012 8:46 am)

Tokyo, Japan

Myself, Herrprof and ESC all used the 1202 so if you have any questions fire away!

Lazerbeat wrote:

Myself, Herrprof and ESC all used the 1202 so if you have any questions fire away!

Thank you so much! Do you have any major complaints about it? Was it a problem not knowing which tracks were muted or not? Would you recommend getting a 1402 simply because of the faders and the Mute LED lights? I don't remember where I heard it, but apparently the 1202 doesn't have indicators that a track is a muted and the 1402 does? I'm worried 14 channels might be too much, and make the thing a hassle to bring to a gig.

Did any of you guys have trouble lugging it around? Also, what kind of setup were you putting through the thing?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just burning with them! Hahahaha.

Los Angeles, CA

i used to rock the behringer xenyx 1202fx...it was alright for recording, the only effect that was worth a shit was one of the reverb settings...playing out, i think the second show I ever used it at the volume slider broke off in my pretty uncrowded gig bag, so i had to adjust the volume using a pin...then gradually channels stopped working and the fucking thing would just suddenly lose power for no reason...so i destroyed it on stage at a show in san diego like some shitty punk guitarist would his guitar...people liked it.

now, i use the numark x6. i fucking love it. the effects are fantastic enough that i've stopped using the mini kp live...my game boy colors sound good thru it too. the advantage i find with dj mixers is that now i like to beat match, queue something up on the other game boy and switch back and forth between which beat is playing to create new beats, cool tricks like that...when transitioning between tracks it makes it easier to cut the volume too because i can just slide left or right, when dealing with a knob based mixer receiving two mono signals, that was a pain in the ass to adjust in real time while manipulating something on another gb...

Tokyo, Japan
xombiexplox wrote:

Thank you so much! Do you have any major complaints about it?

Not complaints but a few VERy minor issues.

- The tape input is a bit noisy

- If you run your PC through the mixer AND use the alt bus are a record out, you can get feedback loops if you arent careful.

- No way to route tape or stereo returns to the alt bus.

- No way to monitor the main mix on headphones without the main mix volume up. This is a pain as I often do music late at night and have to manually disconnect my speakers. Unless im being REALLY stupid that it.

- no volume knob for the headphones, odd as the 802 has one.

xombiexplox wrote:

Was it a problem not knowing which tracks were muted or not? Would you recommend getting a 1402 simply because of the faders and the Mute LED lights? I don't remember where I heard it, but apparently the 1202 doesn't have indicators that a track is a muted and the 1402 does? I'm worried 14 channels might be too much, and make the thing a hassle to bring to a gig.

Neither the 1202 nor the 1402 have mute leds, you need to go up to the 16xx series for that.

xombiexplox wrote:

Did any of you guys have trouble lugging it around? Also, what kind of setup were you putting through the thing?

Not at all. It is a heavy unit but there is a very good carrying handle.

I use it with mono synths going into the ch 1 - 4, stereo synths in 5/6 and 7/8, a spare channel in 9/10 and my PC in 11/12. I also have a couple of things in the stereo returns. I then mute what ever I want to record as my alt bus goes into my sound card.

Just a few quick things I like:

- 4 mono, 4 stereo inputs, and if you are careful there are 2 stereo ins and a tape return to give yourself 3 more stereo channels.

- Very Very solid.

- Extremely reliable.

- I like the EQs a lot.

- alt bus is incredibly useful.

- Knobs not faders, personal preference.

New York City
celsius wrote:

IMO the Pioneer DJ mixers have garbage pre amps.

Can you elaborate on this? I never had a single problem with a Pioneer DJ mixer, I always ask for them and am happy playing live with them.
Of course I don't use them for recording, that's what my multi-input audio interface is for.

Last edited by Zomvor (Apr 2, 2016 2:28 pm)

Last edited by Zomvor (Apr 2, 2016 2:27 pm)

IL, US

@lazerbeat: switch your speakers to the control room outputs, silly..you'll have your seperate volume control
Edit: sounds like you don't have a vlz3, since you say you don't have headphone out volume either?

Lazerbeat wrote:

I use it with mono synths going into the ch 1 - 4, stereo synths in 5/6 and 7/8, a spare channel in 9/10 and my PC in 11/12. I also have a couple of things in the stereo returns. I then mute what ever I want to record as my alt bus goes into my sound card.

Just a few quick things I like:

- 4 mono, 4 stereo inputs, and if you are careful there are 2 stereo ins and a tape return to give yourself 3 more stereo channels.

- Very Very solid.

- Extremely reliable.

- I like the EQs a lot.

- alt bus is incredibly useful.

- Knobs not faders, personal preference.

Awesome post, exactly the kind of response I was wanting! big_smile Thanks for your input.

e.s.c. wrote:

@lazerbeat: switch your speakers to the control room outputs, silly..you'll have your seperate volume control
Edit: sounds like you don't have a vlz3, since you say you don't have headphone out volume either?

Thanks for this! I was worried about not being able to monitor things separately! big_smile

Zomvor wrote:

Yeah well right now i;ve got the ultra brand new XYZ mixer. Worth so much value. This mixer is better than all other mixers and you cannot dispute because I am a god and have better technology LOL why you all pay for bad mixer. I'm with Celsius he is master of sound and science and a god like me your creations are garbage akira^8GB because of his master knowledge of technology. Why ask him to elaborate it's obvious innit?

Lets not stop there lets call all of your possessions inferior because Celsius is true Golden Ratio expert and wise and published physics. Why defend yourself and elaborate he is expert and will always win. Might as well bow down. false hopes profit false profits hope fears tear...tears for fears

uh oh DRATS! i think time is passing too fast he is also expert on time/space and I don't want to necrobumb...stopping typing NOW! ZING

trolololololo

Unsubscribe
Lazerbeat wrote:

I use the 802.

herr_prof wrote:
Lazerbeat wrote:

I use the 802.

Do you ever feel like you'd want more channels? I have three monosynths and I feel like the doubled up channels would be used up pretty quickly on a 802.

Tokyo, Japan
e.s.c. wrote:

Nono I have a vlz3! I thought the ctrl room outs were 1/4 inch not xlrs (mixer boxed from moving still) but I can probably live with that though. Clever idea!

IL, US

They are 1/4", but adapters fix that easily

jakarta, indonesia
VCMG wrote:

I use a Behringer 802. It's not the best thing ever, but it's good for the price.

me too:)

shanghai

vestax pmc 05. a beauty.