VA

For me, I go outside if it's a nice day, take my DMG with me, and almost meditate until a melody or bassline pops into my head or I'll just brute-force it until I get something catchy.

I just play Earthbound.

AANABAY01

i do all the ironing in my house and then just stagger outdoors in a daze, just keep walking in one direction towards the horizon until my body can't take it anymore and i lie sobbing on an embankment where the cops find me

Savannah, Georgia

listen to other music

VA
Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

i do all the ironing in my house and then just stagger outdoors in a daze, just keep walking in one direction towards the horizon until my body can't take it anymore and i lie sobbing on an embankment where the cops find me

so hardcore

Rhode Island

Drink

rochester, ny

sometimes i lose the desire to keep working on a song but that's not the same as writer's block. i don't think i believe writer's block exists with electronic programmed music. if you are trying to come up with a drum loop on some 16 step drum machine, i can't believe that a person wouldn't be able to make something cool sounding if they worked on it long enough, even if they had no drumming or musical experience at all.

writer's block is usually worker's block.

California

Goof off until the inevitable shower/toilet "aha!" moment.

England

just chill and try not to get fustrated. i find that suddenly i just have to make some music and an EP comes spewing out.

improvising with a few friends is pretty cool as well,

Tacoma, WA

Start playing some Battlefield 3 or go for an extended run...

Washington / California

Find some new technique I've never used before and run with that. Things like looking at an LSDJ patch someone else made and tweaking it and then running with that are useful. Or just finding samples you like and use those. Don't be afraid to write silly music. Sometimes I try writing outside when it's sunny. Find a member of your sex of preference to be interested in and impress them with your bleeps and bloops. Think of a scene you're trying to convey.

Boulder, CO
TERADAKTYLE wrote:

Find a member of your sex of preference to be interested in and impress them with your bleeps and bloops.

If anything that causes writer's block for me.

Savannah, Georgia
VCMG wrote:

Goof off until the inevitable shower/toilet "aha!" moment.

this. just... motherfucking this

Godzilladelph

sacrifice small children to Tzeentch

Texas

I listen to other music and goof off until I have absolutely nothing better to do, then I sit down and create multiple horrible Daft Punk covers and then give up until the beginning of the night, when I wake up and find that all of the melodies I ever wished for are now in my head, wait to be transcribed. Then I fall asleep and forget all of them except for one, and then when I go to write it down, I end up turning it some horribly wrong song and submit it here.

Story of my life.

HolyNegative0 wrote:

I listen to other music and goof off until I have absolutely nothing better to do, then I sit down and create multiple horrible Daft Punk covers and then give up until the beginning of the night, when I wake up and find that all of the melodies I ever wished for are now in my head, wait to be transcribed. Then I fall asleep and forget all of them except for one, and then when I go to write it down, I end up turning it some horribly wrong song and submit it here.

Story of my life.

I know that feel, bro