Tokyo, Japan
kometbomb wrote:

Though, I'd really like to keep everything tiny and fast since I originally made the whole thing for being used as a sound effects/game music engine for this game I'm still trying to finish, so I would rather not make it too heavy.

Well, I have a couple of thoughts I think the Klystrack now can easily cover the music / SFX for your game engine. If you bribe n00bstar with bug fixes / feature requests he will probably do some tunes for you! You freeze klystrack in its current form except for bugfixes and as n00bstar mentioned call it klysklassik or something.

kometbomb wrote:

I also don't know what is the expected end result since there already are much more robust trackers with support for VST, makes little sense to me to do the exact same thing as everyone else.

To be honest I feel Klystrack is already a really unique and interesting project. It doesnt emulate a particular chip really, it is more (in my opinion) inspired by a particular palette of sounds which are kind of similar to AHX / SID / Atari which makes it very unique. I think the tracker is 95 percent of the way to being a really really awesome tracker which I just love playing with. The sound design is awesome, the only reason I dont release any of the things I have written is cause they are kinda, uh, crappy. If it can have just a few more tweaks it would easily become my primary composition tool.

I see it as a modern retro synthesis tracker with a gorgeous interface and a fucking BEAST of a synth engine. That is an awesome niche to occupy!

EDIT - CATOMETER SHIRT!!!!

Matej wrote:

@Kometbomb -> Keep opensource Klystrack for free. And in future (huge changes - like FM) build into Klystrack Pro for 7Euro for example. So you will have 700Euro from 100 downloads. Or 7000Euro from 1000 downloads... So you will be motivated more. And have money resources and more time for K-Track project.
POKEY - please keep Pokey as original as possible, based on Pokey soundchip architecture (Pokey gots only one filter - high pass filter). No artificial filters please.

I don't think money would motivate me too much, the only way to get more time for my little hobby is if I could make the money I make now at work, so I could quit and work on klystrack full time... but that's just silly and would make it less fun. Because it would be work. Generally, this money offer thing is very flattering but I rather give for free. The only thing I can see happening is some kind of "pay what you want" scheme and mostly to cover expenses like a website if there every is any. Or buying gifts for people who have contributed. That kind of stuff.

Re: POKEY. I have never done anything proper with a real POKEY chip (well I did type "SOUND 0,1,42" or something on my Atari XEGS as a kid)  so I don't know if my version in klystrack feels the same. It's temperamental but does it freak out like the real thing would with real Atari player routines?

n00bstar wrote:

Also, about branching. I don't think you'd really have to maintain two projects. Classic klystrack would become pretty dormant. I mean, it's in a very usable state, only very rarely crashes, and is pretty much a complete package as it is. You'd only really need to come back to it if someone discovers a major showstopping bug. Branching off into a Pro version would enable you to not worry about backwards compatibility at all and change entire sections.

I think I'll try to finish 1.6 and then keep that as some kind of basic version and everything after that could be thought as "deluxe" version. Every version has brought more and more features anyways. The change however large or small will be incremental due to the amount of work anyways. That basically means if you don't count some kind of overhaul of the GUI (mainly larger resolution support), meaning a rewrite of the layouts etc., it will be pretty much how the project advances now.

There's always a risk when making a total rewrite or some very large change in one step, that someone gets bored or fed up and then quits and there is no working state. With incremental changes, even if some accident happens and all source code is lost (e.g. Google engineer spills beer all over the server farm), there would be a working, improved version released at some point. And it's much more motivating to everyone if there's a trickle of new stuff that is pretty much ready to use.

Solar System

You had XEGS??? I have 4x ATARI 130XE. smile Have you tried RMT Tracker???

I do have a 130XE at the moment, the XEGS was sold away. sad I have hardly touched the XE after I got it years ago. I only coded a little sound toy in BASIC that uses the touch tablet to control sounds. Sounded awful.

Solar System

Wow Kometbomb is ATARI fan! Nice to know... I will PM you tomorrow (with ATARI stuff, tracker/player links, hw etc). Lot of things changed (we use SD cards, 2xpokey, 1024kb ram, videoboardXE, Compact Flash cartridges etc etc) I dont want mess this k-track topic with ATARI stuff.

Psydney, Australia

Apparently this is already coupla days old:
n00bstars drum tute is up - http://n00bstar.blogspot.com.au/2013/04 … drums.html

Instrument finetune added. The "LOCK" checkbox is now labeled as "L" to make the parameter fit on the screen, also to make things even more obscure!

Montreal, Canada

Woot.

Did you fix the volume problems though? As of 1226, there is still a ton of distortion. If you take a default instrument and just add a basic wave sine to it, it will distort like crazy.

I think the solution isn't to bring the oscillators as loud as the wave after all, it might really be to bring the waves way the hell down. I still use 1219 for this reason.

I did fix the distortion, just by making waves quieter. I had some issues with my build system that caused the compiled klystrack.exe simply to disappear (thanks Avast) so the nightly I had that fixed in was not uploaded. New (fort)nightly tonight.

Tokyo, Japan

Yay!!!!

Montreal, Canada

Same problem is there. When you mix a generated sine wave with an oscillator, you get distortion. Even if you use a very low amplitude wave, you get distortion.

Ok now I  noticed it. It happens in the oscillator. I fixed the distortion in the final mixing phase, i.e. when you have many channels outputting at max vol (well, it of course still distorts if you have a lot of channels but it's at 25% vol like before).

Fixed the distortion!

Montreal, Canada

w00ts! Seems to work great so far. Imma put that on the netbook and go make some music at the park tomorrow.

What bugs me though is that I had to use 64-bit maths so it won't overflow (therefore distort). Using 64 bits to achieve fake 8-bit sounds, that puts me like 56 bits in debt (plus interest).