Easton, PA, USA

Wow, I just had absolutely everything go wrong with a back lighting adventure...
the polarization film backing and foil completely separated, spent two hours meticulously peeling little bits of foil, took a chuck of the green out some how, and when everything looked clear and perfect, I slapped it back together where I saw that half the screen was black. the horizontal ribbon split at the top. I really, really wished that could be fixable. 2nd murdered screen

Last edited by zerolanding (Apr 18, 2012 9:03 pm)

uhajdafdfdfa

damn sad

Easton, PA, USA

I know I already had a back up on the way, but still, 2 dead. 1st someone snuck up "boo" thought it was hilarious until a chair went in their direction, and now I have to go to work. wanted to do the ice blue pocket, but after that...

Last edited by zerolanding (Apr 18, 2012 9:37 pm)

shanghai

mate fear not. i killed two so far. i dont know why because ive built lotsof other pedals and arduinoboy fine. but yeah i did what you did.twice. didnt get the 2 layers off and fucked something up with the ribbon cable trying to scrap it off. im re-trying tonight. this time im hoping third time lucky. the first one i had it working fine, there was the tiniest speck of dust behind the screen.on re opening i touched up a bit of soldering left something making a connection somehow, went for a piss, came back and the top left of the screen was on fire haha needless to say that didnt work again. bollocks !

Louisiana

I also feel your pain man basis the exact story Downstate has minus the fire. A lots spec of dust was bugging me. Took it apart to get rid of it put it back together then had like 10 lines of pixels missing it sucked. Some how i tore the cable while cleaning. I'm guessing there was a tiny tear already then me messing with it made it tear more. First one i did and it messed up done about 5 since and all good. Im about to backlight a project I'm on now but the screen is missing a single line of pixels on the far left so it doesn't effect any thing at all. So it won't bug me. And who knows maybe I can fix it while messing with it.. Or make it even worse lol. We shall see.

Chicago IL

i did that with my first one. i find the safest / easiest way is to get a razor blade, use it to pull up the corners, and then use a set of pliers to slowly pull the thing off in one piece, pulling towards the board.

Louisiana
Saskrotch wrote:

i did that with my first one. i find the safest / easiest way is to get a razor blade, use it to pull up the corners, and then use a set of pliers to slowly pull the thing off in one piece, pulling towards the board.

And that is exactly the technique i picked up and use now too lol. Rounded needle nose pliers are awesome.

BK

tweezers work too for that- they take up less room under the foil. however, they definitely make your fingers ache like hell afterwards. totally worth it though. FEEL THE BURN!

Louisiana
Kris k wrote:

tweezers work too for that- they take up less room under the foil. however, they definitely make your fingers ache like hell afterwards. totally worth it though. FEEL THE BURN!

Not if you rockin some big ass tweezers like I do. Lol

And yes I know I'm a hairy ass mofo...

Easton, PA, USA

need to grab my medic grade tweezers, my razor with a handle
(previously I was using a bare mat blade) thanks for the war stories guys. I'm home and trashed for the time being and will give it another go when I get the next dmg. Always good to know that its not just me. nanoloop shall occupy in the meantime.

Last edited by zerolanding (Apr 19, 2012 12:07 pm)

I backlight pockets! lol, it's HORRIBLY frustrating and hard no matter how many screens you do. I think dmgs are the easiest cakewalk in comparison, but still pretty tough sometimes.

matt's mind

i use long and thin needlenose pliers, and pinch one side of the polarization film when i get some lifted up enough, and turn the pliers and twist the film off.  like you are using one of those roller things to get the last bit of toothpaste out of the tube.  i haven't broken one since i switched over to doing it this way rather than pulling, maybe its worth a shot!

pinch it and twist it with the pliers so it ends up similar to this in the end:

imagining that the tube of toothpaste is the film, grab it at point 20, and twist it up until you've gotten it far enough it peels off more easily.

i even tried to use the actual toothpaste winder things, but they are such cheap and thin plastic (the ones i've found at least) that they start twisting up and don't pinch the film enough to stay twisting.

Sweeeeeeden

zerolanding: Did you attempt to only remove the reflective film, and preserve the existing polarization film? I tend to remove both in one go and use a replacement film (which you have to anyway if you're biverting, of course.) I also recommend adding a little rubbing alcohol as you go along, which dissolves the glue slightly.

I peel it horizontally back over itself, I do the pliers twist to get the initial started, then take the u turn of film and pull in the exact opposite direction. Slowly.

Easton, PA, USA

Kitsch: Genius! it also maximizes the tiny amount of wiggle room.
Nitro: I was trying to yank all of it in one go, and they seperated. I was going to use the LEDx3 kit. At least I tested before soldering that into place.

Saturday I will get it right.

Medina, Ohio
zerolanding wrote:

I was trying to yank all of it in one go,

major lol, but yeah, backlighting at first is like a pain in the butt. Once you get used to it, its a breeze smile