West Yorks, UK

Ive got a great idea for a musical DMG app that would be roughly akin to muddy GB/ pro performer/ ikari performer in programming complexity/ performance. (i might have made that ikari one up, like muddy but steps through notes of a particular scale- correct me if you know the one im referring to)

Basically in this app you can set a chord of up to three melodic and one noise note to each direction on the d-pad.

*By "set a chord, i mean define each note, not pick from a list of preset chord types/ keys*

A,B start and select act as banks which change the assigned chords. this would enable at least 16 individual chords (4 banks of 4 chords), and by utilizing toggle switches on the bank buttons even more could be achieved (eg A on + B on = 5th bank ,A on + start on= 6th bank, A+ select on=7th, etc etc)

As the assigned chords could consist of any number of notes (within the 4 ch limit), a mix of chords and individual notes could be assigned to the d-pad slots, making mad awesome live DMG performance possible like never before! Or, it could emulate muddy GB and pro performer no problem.

In my wildest dreams, the sound parameters for each chord slot would be editable also,  and even further out into fantasy land: you could also assign a midi note to each slot, which when received via arduinoboy triggers that slot. Then, with no skill whatsoever, you could play out a polyphonic gameboy tune via midi keyboard.

Anyone point me in the direction of someone who may have the skills and inclination to make something like this? I could raise a bit of money and try to find others to do the same as a kind of bounty if it would help.

smile

Last edited by Domu (May 12, 2012 6:47 pm)

Gosford, Australia

Then, with no skill whatsoever, you could play out a polyphonic gameboy tune via midi keyboard.

perish the thought! tongue

West Yorks, UK

lol. Yeah but with a little skill you could rock it!

rochester, ny

i kind of did this for the NES. but i know nothing about gb development. sorry!

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/3088/ … rds-drums/

West Yorks, UK

wow yeah okay, that is rather similar to what my idea! Going to have a play with it now.

How do you even go about learning gameboy development?

rochester, ny

the way i learned anything about NES development was google, google, and more google.

Sweeeeeeden

Hmm, I might be able to do this.

Rochester, NY

gameboy dev is a lot of work, I've tried

UK
ChipsChallengeBand wrote:

bless your cotton socks.

Rochester, NY
firebrandboy wrote:

bless your cotton socks.

straight up right?  took everything I had to get a few sprites on the screen, get some inputs to work, and get some noises in the background

I was scarred for life

Sweeeeeeden

ChipsChallengeBand, did you program in C or asm?

Chicago IL

isn't this basically Stepgirl?

Rochester, NY
nitro2k01 wrote:

asm

rochester, ny
nitro2k01 wrote:

asm

show me everything you know on friday.

West Yorks, UK
Saskrotch wrote:

isn't this basically Stepgirl?

You tell me man, Ive not used it. Or was your question rhetorical?

Boston, MA

who wants to talk more about GB dev because I know i do