Tokyo, Japan

I could be totally wrong but judging by my twitter feed, lots of people seem to be open sourcing their demos.

I know virtually nothing about the demo scene but I wondered if Ilkae, matt, akira or one of you other sceners could fill me in. Has this been going on for a while and I just didn't notice it or more interestingly if it is recent why did it start happening now and why not sooner?

XXX

Sweeeeeeden

Farbrausch recently released all their stuff as open source lately anyway. I don't know if there was an open source demoscene movement before that, but I'm sure the trend spread after they did.

New York City

I always thought the scene was pretty open even though it doesn't look like from outside. Demoparties were and are the main places to learn how stuff is done by the masters themselves. You'd be surprised of how much you can learn at one.

Also, for these guys, back then, with a monitor cartridge, any demo was "open" wink
I guess the only difference now is that with the internet anyone can get the source, not just demoscene people.

yeah it's "the new era of open-ness" for demoscene I guess.  though if you want to know how something is done you'll usually get a reply on pouet or CSDB.

Last edited by 4mat (May 13, 2012 3:03 pm)

Psydney, Australia

Arguably,  the basis of demoscene is expanding the limits of a given platform. You achieve this by building upon the shared knowledge of those who preceded you.
Every now and then there are coders who jealously guard their secrets in an attempt to protect their 'status', but most of the time people would share sources privately. Sharing them publicly is not so common as there is fear of wannabes (aka "lamers") superficially re-appropriating them and claiming the credit, somewhat akin to all those recent thefts in chipmusic.
For some reason the C64 scene seems to be more buttoned up in this respect than either Amiga or PC scene.

Holland
nitro2k01 wrote:

Farbrausch recently released all their stuff as open source lately anyway. I don't know if there was an open source demoscene movement before that, but I'm sure the trend spread after they did.

The trend kind of got set by them yes. And everybody loves it.

Holland
akira^8GB wrote:

I always thought the scene was pretty open even though it doesn't look like from outside. Demoparties were and are the main places to learn how stuff is done by the masters themselves. You'd be surprised of how much you can learn at one.

Also, for these guys, back then, with a monitor cartridge, any demo was "open" wink
I guess the only difference now is that with the internet anyone can get the source, not just demoscene people.

Plus Git(hub) is a very awesome way to share projects, source and code in a branche/fork kind of way which makes the structure a lot more comprehensible. ^^

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐
Xylo wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

Plus Git(hub) is a very awesome way to share projects, source and code in a branche/fork kind of way which makes the structure a lot more comprehensible. ^^

agree. GIT is amazing ;D
i was gonna say pouet has been around for a while.
lots of my friends just give their code away to anyone who wants it after the party.

Boston, MA

anyone here into the GB demoscene? http://gameboy.modermodemet.se/ there's a chunk of demos on that site with source included...

Psydney, Australia

I'd love to push some gb pixels, if there's anyone making a demo

montreal, qc

It seems like a relatively new thing, but also a continuation of old attitudes regarding sharing knowledge. Like others have said, the demoscene was always friendly towards knowledge exchange - but it was mostly done via demoparties or private irc /msg chats, etc.. As demoparties have waned in size/frequency, and the IRC community has become less vibrant, it doesn't surprise me to see demogroups open-sourcing their code in the aims of contributing to a healthy community.

Czech Republic

Demoscene was open since it's beginning, because If there was e.g. some track realised, It was realised in Tracker file format (not audio, mp3), so anyone have to open it in tracker to play it, thus anyone have it's source. I think.

to iLKke: I want new gameboy DMG games! is there anyone working on something?

Last edited by ryba (May 15, 2012 12:30 pm)

Holland
ryba wrote:

Demoscene was open since it's beginning, because If there was e.g. some track realised, It was realised in Tracker file format (not audio, mp3), so anyone have to open it in tracker to play it, thus anyone have it's source. I think.

Music is actually only a small part of demoscene, so to say demoscene was open since it's beginning would be a bit exaggerating.

Riverside, CA
Xylo wrote:
ryba wrote:

Music is actually only a small part of demoscene, so to say demoscene was open since it's beginning would be a bit exaggerating.

You know, software can be open too wink
fsf.org
opensource.org

uhajdafdfdfa
The Silph Scope wrote:
Xylo wrote:

You know, software can be open too wink
fsf.org
opensource.org

no one is deny that software CAN be open, but demos were not generally distributed with source code for a long time, maybe in the Spirit Of Competition. also many demos and even music disks the music was packed inside the demo and it was not trivial to get it out. i can't say the demoscene is a supreme example of open source culture in anyway, but there are enough helpful forum posts and etc - it's not like no one wants you to learn at all

New York City
ant1 wrote:

demos were not generally distributed with source code for a long time, maybe in the Spirit Of Competition.

As said before, if you were IN the demoscene, you COULD get access to loads if not most of the stuff.