Savannah, Georgia

so here's how it's going down:

me and a few friends have started a website that we'll be using for game development, personal matters, etc., and at the moment we're at a lack of concrete use for the site. since i'm (technically) the domain owner, i've been thinking about making a new LSDJ patchbook website. it's probably gonna be a bitch to code (especially given my entire team has hardly any HTML/PHP/MySQL experience), but i expect to have it finished by July if i can actually learn how to work MySQL well enough, and if I can personally code a system for this at all while resisting the urge to beat the shit out of whoever makes these confusing programming languages.

before i do, however, i just need to know if someone's already working on one, if one already exists at the moment, if there is already coding released for such a system, suggestions, questions, etc. thanks in advance.

update: starting work on it now! about 10% done with the actual PHP/MySQL coding. might be done sooner than expected (hell, i kick it into high gear i could have a minimal, fully functional version of this ready for everyone by sunday!)

Last edited by Aeros (May 17, 2012 2:42 am)

.FILTHadelphia

http://ucollective.org/patch/

www.youtube.com/user/lsdjguides

Atlanta

God a new patchbook would be IMMENSELY helpful. Godspeed Aeros

Savannah, Georgia
defiantsystems wrote:

well, shit.

you know what, fuck it, i'm bored, 2xAA's patch archive is currently not fully functional and pretty clunky imo, so i'll still work on it.

Plymouth, UK
Aeros wrote:
defiantsystems wrote:

well, shit.

you know what, fuck it, i'm bored, 2xAA's patch archive is currently not fully functional and pretty clunky imo, so i'll still work on it.

It's pretty functional I'd say, apart from drawing waveforms which I've actually been looking to do and uploading your lsdjsng or sav for quick patch upload (which can be done, I've just not had time to properly research that yet).

I'm currently trying to merge it into ucollective.org with the upcoming update to the site, but that won't be complete until next month at the earliest.

But I see nothing wrong with more than one patchbook - it'll be exciting to have new applications for the community smile
Good luck!

(also, pro tip: you might have an angry old man try to sue you for use of the word 'patchbook', so I'd try and find a new name ;P)

EDIT: That's my old merging in site, the real site was: http://brkbrkbrk.com/patch/ but that's broken too at the moment :L
EDIT2: I sent you an email smile

Last edited by 2xAA (Jun 14, 2012 1:04 pm)

Cat's out of the bag here, commencing a potential thread hijacking:

I have been speaking with Solarbear, Mikeeteevee, Freque, and AndaruGO about a physical "patchbooklet" that is a little printed booklet that is 128 pages with a glossy laminated cardboard cover. The booklet would be just small enough to fit inside a GB cart case (the clear kind) that is found on many of the shops. 128 pages, half filled with presets, half of the pages left blank with instrument templates you can fill in.

The books would cost pennies on the dollar to produce (about $300 + shipping for 2,000 books), and the time to get them printed and shipped would be about 1 month. All I need is patches to put in the first 60 or so pages. I'm willing to dig into my own pockets and sell these at a reasonable price (less than $4 before shipping) assuming a test batch is good quality.

The appeal of these books would be: portability, independence from the web (allowing for multiple edditions and collectibility), the ability to personalize the book (doodles, notes, custom instruments, etc), and the feasibility of people using these to trade patches at stuff like Blip. I am well aware that some save swapping and patch sharing happens, and it would be neat to see some sort of physical medium we could carry this "data" in.

If you are interested in helping out with this, PM me, this is going to be my new big endeavor after BRKfest aside from another hardware project.

Feel free to blast/criticize/demoralize my idea, or improve upon it.

Last edited by thebitman (Jun 14, 2012 10:41 pm)

matt's mind

i love this idea. 

having the pages perforated along the spine might help in the sharing aspect of the paper, without risking tearing it oddly.

Savannah, Georgia

well unfortunately for a lot of us, we can't play shows/don't know too many people who are into chiptune/can't really find any patches to share/use their computer in chip production, therefore not needing a physical booklet, etc. imo, a digital system for LSDJ patch sharing would be a considerably better move.

edit: oh! also i'm planning on setting the system up to have all patches downloadable in one huge damned file juuust in case your internet or the site goes down, so portability and independence for the web won't be much of an issue if you've got a phone or other digital device capable of reading a .txt or .csv file.

Last edited by Aeros (Jun 14, 2012 10:48 pm)

thebitman wrote:

Cat's out of the bag here, commencing a potential thread hijacking:

I have been speaking with Solarbear, Mikeeteevee, Freque, and AndaruGO about a physical "patchbooklet" that is a little printed booklet that is 128 pages with a glossy laminated cardboard cover. The booklet would be just small enough to fit inside a GB cart case (the clear kind) that is found on many of the shops. 128 pages, half filled with presets, half of the pages left blank with instrument templates you can fill in.

The books would cost pennies on the dollar to produce (about $300 + shipping for 2,000 books), and the time to get them printed and shipped would be about 1 month. All I need is patches to put in the first 60 or so pages. I'm willing to dig into my own pockets and sell these at a reasonable price (less than $4 before shipping) assuming a test batch is good quality.

The appeal of these books would be: portability, independence from the web (allowing for multiple edditions and collectibility), the ability to personalize the book (doodles, notes, custom instruments, etc), and the feasibility of people using these to trade patches at stuff like Blip. I am well aware that some save swapping and patch sharing happens, and it would be neat to see some sort of physical medium we could carry this "data" in.

If you are interested in helping out with this, PM me, this is going to be my new big endeavor after BRKfest aside from another hardware project.

Feel free to blast/criticize/demoralize my idea, or improve upon it.

This is a sweet idea! I I don't have much use for one, but I'm sure if you sold them at Kitsch's store tons of people would just throw it in when they buy a bunch of stuff to start with chip. I'd love to donate an instrument patch or two to the project, the initial set would need to be curated somehow. Let me know how I can help big_smile

Everyone, PM me and I will get an email going addressing how I hope we can handle a physical medium as well as submissions. Aeros - perhaps we can work something out so that money will stay backseat to the spreading of knowledge (probably going for the non-profit/little profit route)?

I appreciate the enthusiasm, and honestly, I may have sat on this idea and grown tired of it if it wasn't for Aeros making this thread for his project. Please try and steer all questions/suggestions my way via PM, in retrospect I shouldn't have thrown my idea in this thread because it could sort of derail it.

rochester, ny

I think both ideas are great.
I much prefer physical documentation over staring at a screen, but having a constantly updated digital version would also be A+.
Take my money, etc.

Rochester, NY

I want a physical book

we don't use any unique patches though so let me steal all of yourssssss

Last edited by ChipsChallengeBand (Jun 15, 2012 12:18 am)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I'd love to help, but I doubt any of my patches are unique/useful. hmm
But I'll go through and check for something. I do have a snare I've been fond of recently.

New Orleans, Louisiana

This would be awesome. Totally love this idea.

NC in the US of America

I think this'd be awesome. I've been looking for a trumpet patch, but no luck so far. Had to resort to reading  an ebook about synthesizers.

Harrisonburg, Virginia

Would definitely love both of those ideas. Though it would be a shit ton more work, developing a simple app for phones would be nice, but that's a whole other can of worms. Ideally, you'd want the downloadable file to be a pdf. Easier to flip through patches, etc.