IL, US
DJ Hollow Life wrote:

there are many chip music people live in my state of florida, Lissajou, Bitcrux, Misirycord, me,  ms. dracula,

St. Petersburg Fl has a great noise scene so chipmusic/ circuit bending is common here

unless he moved back, lissajou left florida sometime after the gig i played down there 2 years ago

Tacoma, WA
boaconstructor wrote:
Vellain wrote:

Do you know when (or if) the next X-Bit is... I know AbductedBySharks wanted to make it a monthly thing like the Circuits Ole. I have also heard the Circuits Ole shows are super fun... unfortunatley, being under 21, I haven't been able to go to one yet. I have seen some of the vids from the one on July 7th though. -.- I wish I was older...

Next Circuits Ole is projected for October 5th at the Josephine in Seattle.. would be an all ages show.

P.S. I'm playing it. Come watch me make a fool of myself

Awesome! I will see if I can make the X-Bit Saturday, but unfortunately I won't be able to make the next Circuits Ole show on account of me having to do the SAT on October 6th. sad

Jotie wrote:

Just hit a buttload of Belgians on soundcloud.
Looks like we're with waaaay more than I thought, there's just nobody actively searching for parties or a "chipscene".
Created a soundcloud group for all Belgians, I do hope they'll join in because I seriously underestimated it.

I'm glad to hear that there is a decent amount of chipmusicians in Belgium! Hit me up if you're going to do something over here, maybe I'll join in!

Jersey City, NJ

I know I'm just across the river from Manhattan, but I feel like my wife and I are the only chippers in Jersey City.  It would be fantastic to do have some shows or meetups here.  I talked to the folks at Barcade in JC, it's a no-go, sadly.  There are other venues, tho.  And I've been dying to throw an open mic party at my house, if I could convince enough of the NYC kids to cross the Hudson.  ;P

Grimsby, UK

as far as i know its just me, but that does allow me to label myself the best chipper between york and lincoln...

Lavar wrote:
Jotie wrote:

Just hit a buttload of Belgians on soundcloud.
Looks like we're with waaaay more than I thought, there's just nobody actively searching for parties or a "chipscene".
Created a soundcloud group for all Belgians, I do hope they'll join in because I seriously underestimated it.

I'm glad to hear that there is a decent amount of chipmusicians in Belgium! Hit me up if you're going to do something over here, maybe I'll join in!

http://soundcloud.com/jojoananas
This guy wants to organise something, maybe even as soon as October.
Also, nintendoom seems to have woken up.
https://www.facebook.com/nintendoom

Norway
Kubbi wrote:

Ok, so every time I see these chiptune shows around I think "dang how did they actually get this stuff out of the interwebz?" Seriously though, if I try to show any of my friends any chipmusic at all, the only feedback I get is "TURN DEM POKEMAN SOUNDS OFF, BOI".

So to the point. I'm curious, how has the evolution of chiptune outside of the webz been going so far and how is the chipcommunity in your area? Obviously it is underground as phuck and all that shit, I just get more and more interested in how all this stuff works.

I'll start
Welcome to the Norwegian chiptune community.
population: me

Det finnes flere enn du tror, men det er nok en del som kommer og går.

Send meg en beskjed, kanskje vi kan finne på noe en dag.

Last edited by starmelt (Sep 17, 2012 5:55 am)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I'll tell you how the scene is here, after we're done making one.

Seattle, WA US
Vellain wrote:

Awesome! I will see if I can make the X-Bit Saturday, but unfortunately I won't be able to make the next Circuits Ole show on account of me having to do the SAT on October 6th. sad

If you get the chance, you should come check out "DMG 4" @ Pink Gorilla this Friday, September 21st

It just so happens that I'm playing this show as well.. Electric Children, Awesomecat, and G Diffuser will also be playing

Seattle, WA US
Auxcide wrote:

I'll tell you how the scene is here, after we're done making one.

That's the spirit

Sevilla, Spain

Even if I'm refloating this old thread, I think it's a good way for me to hook back again to this community smile

sergeeo wrote:

I live in Sevilla (Spain) and I can say that we are creating some chiptune community here. This is really great, because this place is really small. We don't have events 'à la Blip', but we do different things like workshops and different live acts. In Barcelona there's a quite interesting scene too.

Same here, we live in the same city. We don't have very regular events with a lot of scene, but we're starting to build one, since Sergeeo with some friends started some kind of beautyful a periodic geek fest called Familiar Fest, where they bound micromusic and chiptune to another genres of experimental electronic music, noise, circuit bending and diy circuits workshops.

In the other hand I made a show in the city with another guy I found out in 8bc called SidBoy who also lives in the same city, then Sergeeo and I meet each other and teamed up to do things in and out the internet.

In the internets we made among other users of this community another collective (CulturaChip) aimed towards spanish and portuguese speakers to meet each other, collaborate, generate documentation in our languages. One of the things that happened beyond any profethy or expectations is that we found that out of there, there's more people doing this that we think, so we ended being a slow growing but solid community, with regular coming new users from our nearbies.

Another consequence was that we ended making a two days fest in a squat house with two nights of music of the users that had the chance to come and a sestlist to play, what also gave the opportunity to the most of them to put their tracks on the stage for the first time. We named it "Invasores de CulturaChip 1.0". We also made some workshops in this event, that works pretty well as spreading flyers with info to newcomers. After this we have another committed little fella that is learning his fists steps in LSDj.

Dot.AY wrote:

Every single person complaining about there not being a scene trust me there is no scene because you haven't made one...

+1 too, because if there's no scene yet, is your duty to put on one, otherwise don't complain. Experience tells me that the best way to make an scene is show up what you do. Some may think you're a weirdo, but there's always people that likes the sound, and maybe other ppl that already plays and makes music, that would like to learn how to do that. So make gigs, flyers, workshops, MAKE SOME NOISE AND THE REST WILL COME SOONER OR LATER

Edit: This wensday I'm doing another workshop (LSDj and beepola ths time) with this little fella named SinkaBeza, and another friend of him that we recruited in another little workshop explaining what is this called "micromusic" and "chiptune" and how it's done.

Last edited by PaK-Zer0 (Jan 21, 2013 12:22 pm)

IL, US

oh in chicago we tried for years...just have to admit it wasnt happening after a few too many single digit turnouts

Sevilla, Spain
e.s.c. wrote:

oh in chicago we tried for years...just have to admit it wasnt happening after a few too many single digit turnouts

Of course it couldn't work, but I guess is the best one can do for getting a scene ready. As I said, I'm doing workshops, even if in the firsts nobody shown up, but perseverance may be the way to achieve results.

Last edited by PaK-Zer0 (Jan 21, 2013 12:26 pm)

IL, US

im too old for that now, but i've always said im more than willing to help if someone else wants to take the initiative and really push again... often they get discouraged pretty quickly when most of the venues they contact don't even take the few seconds to respond and say "no" or are the kind of place that makes you front $200+ of your money to set something up (or take a huge portion of the door, maybe the first $400+).. we also have a shortage of viable all ages venues, which makes trying to get things going much harder, given the average age of listeners and artists... 21 and up shows exclude too many potential fans

Sevilla, Spain
e.s.c. wrote:

im too old for that now, but i've always said im more than willing to help if someone else wants to take the initiative and really push again... often they get discouraged pretty quickly when most of the venues they contact don't even take the few seconds to respond and say "no" or are the kind of place that makes you front $200+ of your money to set something up (or take a huge portion of the door, maybe the first $400+).. we also have a shortage of viable all ages venues, which makes trying to get things going much harder, given the average age of listeners and artists... 21 and up shows exclude too many potential fans

The trick is to get other kinds of spaces from the traditional venue, so you can bypass the age limit and the money/venue problems. Familiar fest is done in a rehearsal room where bands can play with a crowd up to 30 persons smelling each other. We made Invasores in a squat house. Other people use the rave scene to promote themselves. There's always alternative spaces for atipical activities. Sevilla is a small city, trust me, just try to hack the whole thing using a different approach. But I understand that if you've been trying for years, you won't have the same energy now.

Brunswick, GA USA

That is the only way to have events in the Midwest, that was how the classic raves were done... But there are laws about house parties too. They gradually outlawed most forms of fun from the 60s on, at least where I lived...