Most of the cases i feel bad, yeah.
I reduced myself to spam like 2-3 Facebook Groups and if i do that most of the times i just copy the last guy who overhyped his stuff and add a line that makes clear i kinda copied his description. (New song chk out 8bitbreakbeat ! --turns to--> New song chk out icopiedandpastedthisdescription !)
Also most of the times it's like if i put something out, who i think it's good it get's some reaction, but if i drop something i really cared about and worked in a long run on it, i get no responce at all (or some little).
So i can't say i care so much for self promoting.
I'm just happy that i created a good tune that i really can be proud of, 'cause sometimes making music can give you a really satisfing feeling. And if i know i put fcking hard work in it, and at least one person say's "Hey, that's good.", i'm fcking satisfied.
If just people hit the "Like-Button" on FaceBook i can't really care. Did they actually listen to it? Did they really "liked" it? Or are they just "like" that i posted some stuff?
I don't give a shit, if you want a musician to know that he made a some great work there, fcking tell him - Done.

Forest Maze
SketchMan3 wrote:

tl;dq

I hope you didn't think I was saying "I didn't like your music, but at least you like it."

I was just commenting on the quote of your grandfather with a general consolation to anybody who feels their effort was worth nothing.

I wasn't going to come back to explain my post, but you quoted it, and then quoted yourself quoting it, so I had to say something.

Making $$ on your debut release is something to be proud of, I'd think.

oh no man it's fine,

I was just really wasted and have been really mad about my local music scene lately.

I didn't even mean to include you in the quote.

sorry about the excessive rant.

Last edited by NUCLACE (Jun 2, 2012 12:00 pm)

Liverpool, UK
godinpants wrote:

I always think if you aren't hyped about releasing your music, why should anyone else be?

This, so hard - I also think it's weird when artists won't wear their own t-shirts - you're happy to sell them to other people, but not to wear them yourself? lol wtf m8

hey guys you make chiptune and none of you are famous, how else do you expect people to find out about your music

Brunswick, GA USA
calmdownkidder wrote:
godinpants wrote:

I always think if you aren't hyped about releasing your music, why should anyone else be?

This, so hard - I also think it's weird when artists won't wear their own t-shirts - you're happy to sell them to other people, but not to wear them yourself? lol wtf m8

I stopped wearing t shirts about 8 years ago, though I've started again the ones I wear are blank...

If you need another person's help to decide that something is good, do you really like anything in the first place? When people show extreme enthusiasm I get the impression that they lie to themselves as well as others, which makes promotion a difficult balancing act.

I enjoy the process of creating music above all else. It doesn't matter if it has beeps, robot voices, or squeaking guitars, you like it or you don't and that's it. In a month I'll make another track anyway.

Last edited by chunter (Jun 2, 2012 1:30 pm)

All things in moderation. I'll promote my music but not to the point where it is just annoying. I don't see the point in getting loads of plays if people are only playing it because you relentlessly told them to, and not because they genuinely enjoy your music.

rochester, ny

i'm in the midst of this currently!

i don't feel bad but i do feel a bit...slimey.

but i think the idea is to make it worth people's time. all the bros / babes who comment on my release thread, send me an email, etc. about my release will definitely be on my radar when their release comes out. and I will more than likely throw some love or money their way.

Gosford, Australia
chunter wrote:

When people show extreme enthusiasm I get the impression that they lie to themselves as well as others, which makes promotion a difficult balancing act.

i am genuinely, extremely enthusiastic about my own musical creations* and i would love everyone to love them as much as i do. that said, 99% of the time that i decide to change a song based on another person's opinion i end up loving the song even more. i appreciate the view that one's art is one's own and that outside influence undermines artistic vision, but for me it all comes down to my own euphoric response elicited by the end result. the input of cm.o last week helped me take a pretty mediocre tune by my own standards and take it to that "euphoric response" level.

tl;dr the reason i whore my music out sometimes is to make myself feel good and i think that's okay.

*however: i think that i, myself, am a bit of a git!

buffalo, NY

I promoted my release pretty hard and made a specific effort to keep bumping it, but only when I had ACTUAL CONTENT to accompany it.  Example, I recorded a new remix, I posted reviews of the album, I posted YouTube vids of people playing my songs etc.

Was it obnoxious?  Maybe. But it's a tough world out there and I wanted to make sure I got heard.

I don't feel bad promoting my release. I worked hard on my music, and I want people to hear it. Nobody else is gonna promote me, so it's up to me to do it. Obviously if my release isn't doing well, I'll let it go. No reason to shove crappy music into people that don't want it! But I know my upcoming album is gonna kill, so I'm gonna pump it up. It's not arrogant, it's just being proud of your work!

Robotcity, the year 20XX
danimal cannon wrote:

I promoted my release pretty hard and made a specific effort to keep bumping it, but only when I had ACTUAL CONTENT to accompany it.  Example, I recorded a new remix, I posted reviews of the album, I posted YouTube vids of people playing my songs etc.

Was it obnoxious?  Maybe. But it's a tough world out there and I wanted to make sure I got heard.

Frostbyte wrote:

I don't feel bad promoting my release. I worked hard on my music, and I want people to hear it. Nobody else is gonna promote me, so it's up to me to do it. Obviously if my release isn't doing well, I'll let it go. No reason to shove crappy music into people that don't want it! But I know my upcoming album is gonna kill, so I'm gonna pump it up. It's not arrogant, it's just being proud of your work!

Both so true.

(I always get the feeling that the only reason people don't want to promote their music, is because of their fear being criticised by others)

buffalo, NY

On the other hand, if someone releases something and I really like it... I love promoting it.  Word of mouth buzz is the best advertisement.

Bronx, NY
danimal cannon wrote:

Was it obnoxious?  Maybe.

I don't think what you did was obnoxious, not at all. You allowed the content to drive your promotion, rather than shoving it down people's throats. That's the way to go.

rochester, ny
danimal cannon wrote:

danimal cannon wrote:

On the other hand, if someone releases something and I really like it... I love promoting it.  Word of mouth buzz is the best advertisement.

couldn't agree more with both but definitely the first one. people like more content, people don't like shilling. make sure you have a reason to bump your thread.

buffalo, NY

There was some content that I purposefully withheld for a week or more (reviews etc) to not bludgeon my audience with too much content at once as well

BOSTON

i think this is just a classic introverts vs extroverts thread