Hey guys, I have been browsing this forum for a while and I am a constant listener or chip tune music of any variety and I was wondering how I should start going about making music, I already play and record actual instruments so I have all of that equipment (microphones, recording etc.) but I was wondering what I need to do some chip tune recording. I would like to use a gameboy if possible so does anyone know how I should go about doing that, I know I have to have LSDJ but what else do I need. Also is there any websites where I may purchase these items? thanks so much in advance.

-Nesiss

St. Louis

check out ebay or kitsch's website for lsdj carts. http://store.kitsch-bent.com

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Gameboy + lsdj/nanoloop + talent. I'd suggest a gameboy advance sp to start off with. They're cheap, rechargeable, back/frontlit, and easy to find. If you decide you like doing Chiptune, upgrade to a prosound dmg when you get the hang of it. Or you could start getting familiar with it right now by getting an emulator and a demo of lsdj. Use bgb for emulation. Everything can be found with quick Google searches.

Edit:
Also, to be blunt, lurk more and you'd know this. There're a billion threads to get you started.

Last edited by Auxcide (Jun 2, 2012 9:17 am)

Thanks everyone for the help and also does anyone know how I would put the music I make on the gameboy onto my computer, I currently use a macbook. Thanks so much everyone.

matt's mind

the files which come off the cartridge via the usb port are not audio format. 

so you record the audio from the gameboy like you would any other instrument.  record from the headphone out (or prosound jack if you've done this) into the computer.  you can use something as simple (and free) as audacity to do this, with very good results.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

From gameboy to computer:
.sav files: you use a usb cable and a transfer program.
audio: you record from the headphone jack of a gameboy. (Prosounded would be a good idea)

Edit: yeah exactly what kitsch said. lul

Last edited by Auxcide (Jun 2, 2012 9:12 pm)

Portland
Nesiss wrote:

does anyone know how I would put the music I make on the gameboy onto my computer, I currently use a macbook.

1/8th inch cable from the headphone jack into your mic input on your computer.
Use some recording software,
pro

edit: oops didnt see above post^

Last edited by Dos (Jun 2, 2012 9:12 pm)

I have a few more questions, if I have the pro-sound mod what type of cable do I need, is it the same size cable that plugs into a electric guitar, also what would I need for live shows, and also where would I acquire a pro-sound DMG.

P.S. Sorry for all the questions you guys are really helpful.

You can prosound a dmg (or buy one) either. Simple terms, headphone or instrument. I actually have a dmg that has both. Or you can do RCA. For live you can be really simple and just do a gameboy. But it's best to use a mixer. A small behringer mixer works fine. Any of our fine modders, kitsch, maize, thursdaycustoms, loomis, asm, etc.

Edit: stupid autocorrect

Last edited by Auxcide (Jun 2, 2012 9:33 pm)

You can order through pm here or you can go to their websites or some (like asm) post on ebay

Auxcide wrote:

You can prosound a dmg (or buy one) either. Simple terms, headphone or instrument. I actually have a dmg that has both. Or you can do RCA. For live you can be really simple and just do a gameboy. But it's best to use a mixer. A small behringer mixer works fine. Any of our fine modders, kitsch, maize, thursdaycustoms, loomis, asm, etc.

Dude you rock thanks for helping me out with everything this community seems to be really well established. Also I will be buying your EP when it is released. Also what do you think would be better 1/4" cables or  1/8" cables. Also what setup do you use.

P.S. I am also from Sacramento tongue

Whoa really? Wow I thought I was alone here. wink
I (personally) prefer 1/8th. I can use stereo cables, which are easier to find and cheaper and it's easy to just use an adapter to make it 1/4th.

My setup (minus a new dmg): http://www.chipmusic.org/forums/post/101007/#p101007

Bronx, NY

Game Boys are convenient, and LSDJ is my program of choice, so I hope I don't come across as harsh when I say: effing hell, there are a bajillion more platforms and programs than what's on the Game Boy, and any beginner should be told that at the very least...

No offense y'all....

He mentioned lsdj and lsdj is what I know. hmm
If you have anything to mention, then do it.

Tokyo, Japan

It might be worth giving the sticky a read.

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/3988/ … read-this/

Ok so I already have an audio interface but it only takes 1/4" cables but if 1/8" is better I could find an adapter. What do you guys think?