Is there a damn tutorial out there to use this thing? Do I need to import my own samples? Are there 'standard' samples? I've been wanting to mess around with atari noises (yerzmyey/505 etc have inspired me) for awhile now as I find their sounds are truely unique and 'full'. Music made with an atari st/e just sounds really nice to me : ) Anyways, any help would be appreciated, thanks. And I'm using the Hatari emulator and have tested out sound with a mod I downloaded from modarchive, sounds awesome ^_^.

Last edited by _133 (Jun 6, 2012 8:00 pm)

Holland

You could try MusicMon 2.5e. It lets you 'draw' sounds in a little window which you can tweak by setting some parameters and stuff.

Or you could import mods you like and try tweaking instruments in those mods. Learn their structure and then try making your own.

Last edited by xylo (Jun 6, 2012 5:26 pm)

The Rubber Man

I didn't notice this post before.
Well, if You consider using Atari ST/e with ST ProTracker, You can solve the samples' problem the way I did: You can use any Amiga or PC tracker, collect required samples, load them and save an 'empty' 4ch MOD file (with samples only). Then You can easily load the MOD into Atari ST/e, with normal standard PC diskette (720K). Then You can make Your music on Atari, having all the prepared samples available.

Joliette, QC, Canada

I hate that Protracker on ST will only load .SPL Samples...
Yeah best thing to do is what Yerzmyey said !!!

uhajdafdfdfa

if you want the "atari sound" of ay riderz/YM rockerz  etc, protracker is probably not the software you are after. it is a sample tracker in the same vein as protracker/noisetracker on amiga and scream tracker on PC etc. it doesn't really make the unique sounds which can be associated with atari.

for those sound you may be better off with musickmon or triplex or maxymizer

Germany

The extension doesnt' really matter, but it should be 8-bit raw samples, if i remember right (sometimes calles SPL, sometimes SMP etc., however WAV won't work without conversion). Additionally, you can set up some sample format options in the PREFS section of Protracker: signed, unsigned and IFF.

The Rubber Man

Or - also what 505 said. That's because regular CoolEdit can save samples as IFF (supposedly unsigned would be better because the signed once have sometimes audible headers of the files).

Last edited by YERZMYEY (Dec 6, 2012 12:25 am)

Joliette, QC, Canada
xylo wrote:

You could try MusicMon 2.5e. It lets you 'draw' sounds in a little window which you can tweak by setting some parameters and stuff.

Or you could import mods you like and try tweaking instruments in those mods. Learn their structure and then try making your own.

I can't load mods in 2.5e. I click Load, click mod and nothing happens... :S

Nomad's Land

click mod first, then load.
btw if i remember correctly musicmon mods are non-standard.

Germany

Technially, musicmon modules have nothing in common with Protracker modules except the file extension. Musicmon is a chipmusic tracker while Protracker is sample based.

Milwaukee, WI

What is the best sample tracker on STe?  There are a lot floating around.  A 1:1 conversion from the Amiga 2.3 would be great!

Germany

Theta_Frost: in my opinion, for normal 4 Channel modules its definitely PROTRACKER STE, especially when switchted to 50khz multiplex replay (click on the frequency displayed above the oscilators). It is pretty compatible to Amiga Protracker, just lacking some "modern" commands as some Exx. One thing to know is, that the bpm timing is not 100% correct compared to other replayers. you have to tweak a bit, if you want to use longer exactly synced loops. But its not a really big problem.

OCTALYSER is just as good (up to 8 channels, good interface and functions, even higher command compatibility) - its just matter of taste.

Great that ppl are interested in Atari tracking smile

The Rubber Man

Also, to add 505's infos, while preparing stuff for last SillyVenture, I found that the MOD engine most compatible to original Amiga's one, is indeed Octalyser (in 4ch mode), It plays in very good quality and if some MOD doesn't work on ProTracker STe, then I test it on Octalyser (if I use STe machine).
What appeared: Michu's track didn't work on any 4ch tracker of ST/e - and it worked great on Octalyser.
So it would be my part of advice, to add it to 505's notes.

I'm also very glad that people get more interest in Atari tracking, what can I say - You guys will not be disappointed. wink
I wasn't.
Also communication with PC is really easy, with regular diskettes (simply format it into 720K and it work just fine on ST/e) or HxC SD (there's a converter added).
Another way is an external harddrisk in form of satan/ultrasatan, where You save/load with SD card (there is a small prog for PC required to extract files from ST/e to PC and back, called "Drive Imaging").

The Rubber Man

Post Scriptum:

Theta - actually there is no conversion required, You just take Amiga's MOD and load it into STe.
And check out if everything's plays OK. That's how I found out that Octalyser handles MODs so well.

Milwaukee, WI

Looks like Octalyser is the way to go, thank you guys!  My 1040STe's PSU is broken, so I'm in the process of replacing it - but then I hope to be up and running.  I actually ordered some UltraSatan PCB's for personal use, but the BOM is pretty tough to follow.  I'll have to contact jookie about it.

The Rubber Man

...and talkin'bout oldschool digital music from Atari ST... wink

After 2 years - some teasers of the oncoming new album:

Factor6 - "Rasengan!" (only a fragment here).
More chiptune-like song.
4 channels (ProTracker_ST). Quality: 50 050 Hz (with the Paulo's player).
http://ym-digital.i-demo.pl/YM_DIGITAL- … AGMENT.mp3

Yerzmyey - "Meteor Rain" (a full song).
Totally not a chiptune style. wink
6 channels (HexTracker). Quality: 21 942 Hz.
http://ym-digital.i-demo.pl/YM_DIGITAL-Meteor_Rain.mp3

All recorded from real hardware, ATARI 520ST (pure ym2149 of course).

So - I rather don't complain for for the regular ST sound. smile
Although there is some small bug in Hex's engine (slides are... somewhat hoarse. But maybe it's impossible to get better from YM chip while playing 6 channels? Hm. I dunno.

Greetzzzz,
Yerz