Louisiana

So I came across this badass trick called "water marbling" seen it used to paint fingernails other other random applications. So I thought it would be cool to try it on a gameboy or gameboy screens. I only have a spare screen ATM so I started with that. I haven't perfected it yet. I can't quite figure out how to get a nice clean application but here's a few of my tests.

Test 1: didn't turn out very good at all. Peeled a lot of it off by accident.

Test 2: better it still kinda fucked it up

Test 2 on purple gameboy: jut wanted to see how it would look.

Just wanted to see what you guys think and see if anyone has any experience doing water marbling that might have any tips.

New Albany Indiana

Ha, that's cool it go's with the purple but i think the design is a lill'tacky. How did you get the paint to not cover up the letters?

Sacramento, CA

Holy crap, this is sooo awesome!!!!!!!!!!

New Albany Indiana

How did you do this?

Chicago IL
Bit wish wrote:

How did you do this?

probably rit dye, or a specific type of krylon fusion metallic paint that i can't remember the exact information on

matt's mind

xmetals maybe

Louisiana
kitsch wrote:

xmetals maybe

Krylon xmetals exactly. however this case was painted years ago. It's actually isn't bad though..it's just very reflective and catches light easily which makes it look a little odd in photos. However the screen is the focus here lol. What do you guys think of the screen idea? Ignore the gameboy xD

matt's mind

screen idea is very cool!  got a case from justinthursday @ blip that was painted this way, its bubblegum pink, blue, and white swirl.  and is awesome.

i love this painting method, didn't realize until recently its feasible at home!  i've seen them do it a lot on tv for auto parts and such. 

looking forward to where your experiments take you!

Lexington, KY

That's pretty awesome. I wonder, could a whole case be done with the same technique you used on the screen?

Louisiana

@kitsch you've got to post pics of that case I've got to see it. I don't quite know how to pull it off very well to be honest. I'm not familiar with a paint that would work. This was done using fingernail polish, don't judge lol. I just got telhe idea last night and it's the only thing I had laying around that would spread right. I'm also having issues with air bubbles under the paint..or polish in this case, and I can't figure out how to avoid that. I'll do more research looking into the auto parts thing you mentioned maybe and see what I can find. I'm still looking into the flock stuff and thought its be cool to implement this with flock and maybe a clear paint to make the flock spreadable and plyable. It'll take some time and research but it would be phenomenal and I think the first of its kind done on anything.

@solarbear yes a case can be done. As discussed above its been done. I'm just trying to find out how and make it wildly available. My niche right now is just painting gameboys, PERIOD, but I'd like to find the one thing that makes my cases stand out amongst the rest. So when people see them they can say "yep that's a Vex case" just like we all know what Thretris and Capcomposers cases look like. I don't want to be a copy cat or be concidered some second rate artist because my stuff looks similar to what other people have done in the community. Okay off topic ramble complete. Lol

washington

This is awesome. I would definitely buy a screen cover if you made one for the Pocket.

Cleveland, OH
kitsch wrote:

screen idea is very cool!  got a case from justinthursday @ blip that was painted this way, its bubblegum pink, blue, and white swirl.  and is awesome.

Vex wrote:

@kitsch you've got to post pics of that case I've got to see it.

Kitsch got the one in the middle here:

I've been playing with painting screen covers to match paint jobs lately as well. The best way to do it is sand off all the paint from the back or buy an ASM clear screen cover and paint it from the back.

matt's mind

hey, vex and justinthursday....

contact me when you get a chance, i have something to send you to experiment with if you're up for it...

ohgodno, Indiana

Those are great

mainz, grmny.

Vex + justinthursday: HHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG... Quite ok that stuff.

Last edited by Stern Fucking Zeit (Jun 12, 2012 1:55 pm)

Louisiana

Omg I want the one on the right! These are sweet! you have to tell me how the hell you pulled this off.