Northwest USA

I'm looking for something to boost the sound my audio program exports.   The volume exported is always way lower than other stuff I listen to.   I'm on a mac, and something free would be nice.

Thanks!

Riverside, CA

You should mention what software you're using.
In any case, Audacity is a very fine tool. It's also free, in both senses of the word.

Milwaukee, WI

All found by using the search function. It took five seconds.

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/317/w … -chiptune/

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/4562/volume-levels/

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/3657/ … ck-louder/

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/3621/ … ompostion/

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/798/w … t-ableton/

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/120/m … dj-tracks/

Fargo

Are you compressing?

You don't need any special software for mastering. There's nothing about mastering which you can't do better and more focused during the mixing process.

NSW, Australia

I'd say for your volume issue try Audacity it's free and does it's job pretty well, May i ask what software you are currently using so i can diagnose the problem for you smile

Last edited by The Sky Is Black Not Blue (Jun 12, 2012 10:03 am)

Chicago IL
geckoyamori wrote:

You don't need any special software for mastering. There's nothing about mastering which you can't do better and more focused during the mixing process.

uh
isn't mastering a part of the mixing process?

Chicago IL
Saskrotch wrote:
geckoyamori wrote:

uh
isn't mastering a part of the mixing process?

no wait i meant the other way around

Mastering was something you just did for vinyl originally. It's really redundant if the music is released on a digital format. But since a lot of people making a living from mastering probably wanted to keep their jobs...

The de facto definition of mastering today is more or less just applying EQ and compressors/limiters on the master channel. Sure enough there's nothing stopping you from doing that while you're mixing. But many people offer paid mastering services on tracks that have already been mixed and bounced by somebody else, so it benefits them to have it treated as a separate process.

I think mastering is mostly a destructive process, not saying you shouldn't do it if you really want to though. I would advise against investing in any mastering software though, I think it's just a marketing farce since what they offer is usually a EQ/Comp suite with tools you already have at your disposal. Like Coke Zero.

Last edited by geckoyamori (Jun 12, 2012 11:00 am)

Los Angeles
geckoyamori wrote:

Mastering was something you just did for vinyl originally. It's really redundant if the music is released on a digital format.

LOLZ!

Why Lolz?

shanghai

because thats not really true. and from what ive learnt and read about mixing and mastering, is make sure you know the difference. your final mixdown is very different to mastering. on your final mixdown, you would not want a compressor or limiter on the master, unless you just want to compress it to a wall of shit and lose dynamic range.... i'd advise bouncing out the track after mixdown is complete at -6db and then getting someone to master it for you if you really want to. its worth it for sure if you have the money. if not sure do it yourself, use something like Izotope Ozone. its not the best thing, but hell, i didn't have money to get mine done so i did it myself. I wouldnt really bother paying anyone to master for you though if they have some bullshit 'studio' with no hardware. people have assured me they can master digitally as good as with say a universal audio compressor/limiter.....i seriously doubt that, and i am by no means a mastering expert, im not preaching, just letting you know what i learnt as general rule of thumb when i did mine. peace

Gosford, Australia

Yes, there's a lot of old wives' tales when it comes to digital audio and the loudness war is particularly contentious, but when you A-B two compressors, limiters, EQ's etc. of greatly varying "quality" the difference is like night and day.

ANYWAY I really want to recommend endorphin to you, OP. The problem is that it doesn't have an AU version - only VST, so I don't know you'll be able to get it to work on OS X at all. It's seriously the best free mastering compressor and there's lots of comprehensive and insightful information about compression in general in the user manual.

Last edited by Victory Road (Jun 12, 2012 11:41 am)

Chicago IL
Victory Road wrote:

Yes, there's a lot of old wives' tales when it comes to digital audio and the loudness war is particularly contentious, but when you A-B two compressors, limiters, EQ's etc. of greatly varying "quality" the difference is like night and day.

ANYWAY I really want to recommend endorphin to you, OP. The problem is that it doesn't have an AU version - only VST, so I don't know you'll be able to get it to work on OS X at all. It's seriously the best free mastering compressor and there's lots of comprehensive and insightful information about compression in general in the user manual.

it won't work on OSX, it's a .dll file.

Fargo

I use Maxim on my master bus and potentially any EQ that sounds good.  It depends on what I'm doing.
Also, a lot of music you hear may or may not be over-compressed.  That's why, if you hear older music, it often is quieter than today's music.  Do what you can to make your mix sound "big" rather than loud.  You can and probably should compress a little bit.  Just don't overdo it.

geckoyamori wrote:

The de facto definition of mastering today is more or less just applying EQ and compressors/limiters on the master channel.

This is mostly true.  It's still worth it, though, if you are really going for a professional-sounding recording.  I've seen really good mastering engineers work, and they know what they're doing.

geckoyamori wrote:

I think mastering is mostly a destructive process

It is, but if done right, it should be destroying only unwanted things.  Mastering engineers should have trained ears, first off, to pick out the frequencies that were potentially missed that sound harsh.  If a mixing engineer does his/her job well, the mastering engineer should not have to do much of anything at all.  But, most of us don't have super great equipment.  If you really want a great sounding mix, it pays to have someone monitor an album on high quality equipment and get rid of spikes in certain frequencies in certain areas of a song, etc.  That way you can bring your mix up to the level it should be at and not have frequency spikes causing your master meter to clip.

Downstate wrote:

on your final mixdown, you would not want a compressor or limiter on the master, unless you just want to compress it to a wall of shit and lose dynamic range....

You also would potentially be getting rid of dead air, using a compressor/limiter to bring the top side of the dynamic range down to where the music peaks.  There is a reason even the top of the line mixing boards like the SSL 6000 series have stereo bus compressors.  People use them.

uhajdafdfdfa
Fernald wrote:

I'm looking for something to boost the sound my audio program exports.   The volume exported is always way lower than other stuff I listen to.   I'm on a mac, and something free would be nice.

Thanks!

https://neon1.net/prog/normalizer.html
OR
http://normalize.nongnu.org/

this is all the "mastering" i do. it does boost the sound that an audio program exports (usually) but it doesn't affect the sound otherwise from the volume. maybe it's not what your looking for (it's what i think you SHOULD be looking for!) though

i heard "izotope ozone" was the best for loudness war mastering