Phoenix, AZ

My gameboy (DMG-01) has a lot of dead columns. Any way to get rid of those?
I see a lot of posts about dead rows, but I've been told that's a completely different problem.

Bristol, UK

Make sure the game boy is on, then run a soldering iron around the ribbon cable at the bottom until you notice the columns have returned.

Phoenix, AZ

You mean the ribbon cable that connects the PCBs?

BC, Canada

I'm pretty sure he means the ribbon cables running out of the screen.

Phoenix, AZ

Ok, just making sure.

buffalo, NY

You have to remove a black piece of rubber, it heats up the glue there and reattaches the connections

Matthew Joseph Payne

First google image result for "game boy dead columns fix"

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I know this thread is practically dead, but what if you have horizontal dead columns? Is it too late for my DMG?

Louisiana

To my my knowledge man theres no known "easy fix" I've been told it can be fixed "sometimes" but it's hard and very tedious apparently. I've tried a few and had one work but I did it with a very lucky piece of tape. If you can turn the gameboy on while it's apart and see your lines and mess with the ribbon ok the side and notice them fix try to get a piece of tape to hold them together. Maybe it'll work but dot count on it.

Matthew Joseph Payne
PKtora wrote:

horizontal ... columns

If you have horizontal columns, then you have twisted the fabric of space/time so badly that it may be too late for us all.

For missing columns, I can vouch for this method being at least a temporary fix.

.FILTHadelphia

Fiddling with the contrast sometimes works for me with horizontal lines. I tried capturing it but of course there was one line that just wouldn't quit.