Cambridge UK

http://www.ccmyprosound.org/

This is meant to be helpful to newcomers in the chip community
Any ideas of useful links that should be posted there?

(I don't maintain the site though I came up with the url)

Last edited by George (Jun 17, 2012 11:39 pm)

California

Aaaah blue-on-black text hurts my eyes

but yeah cool

maybe change the thread title so newcomers can find it, maybe make it a sticky. the url is not very helpful, i think you should change it to something more appropriate.

make the urls >within> a sentence explaining what the links are.

good idea. it's almost there.

Savannah, Georgia

if you don't change that nil-contrast black/blue-on-black text i'm going to hit someone

Cambridge UK

I think CCmyProsound.org is very appropriate for the target audience.

Cambridge UK

Aeros refresh your cache.

vancouver, canada

would it not be a more elegant solution to just alter the cm.org's home page template to display some ground rules/links in plain sight, if a user is new and/or has made less than X # of posts?

something like this just above the recent threads:

"new here?  post a first track in this thread

looking for more info on how to make chipmusic?  check out these links/threads: 1 2 3"

blah balh and so forth.

Cambridge UK

Or there's the passive aggressive : "Hey n00b, you obviously didn't lurk so, here ya go http://www.ccmyprosound.org/"

Abandoned on Fire

Guys, if we dont take drastic measures our Grumpy Elitist qualification is in danger of expiring!

Survival of the fittest.  Set them all on fire and welcome the few that live.

Im only jk a tiny bit.

inspirational link

i think newcomers that don't use search functions are probably thinking that the community they sign up to (CM.O in this case) will be nice and welcome them, therefore they will make a thread without thinking twice. i don't think there is a way to fully avoid this. maybe sometimes people just want to say hi. if you could make it clear to a newcomer that you don't want threads like this, maybe it would stop them somewhat. (although personally it doesn't bother me.)

bryfaces idea is probably the most viable. a display, something in your face.

OK. so current users don't want to see this on their front page for whatever reason. how about a page you are directed to right after signing up? a page just like the one george has created however embedded into CM.O.

whilst i do think the idea of a link to links is a good idea, i don't think it will preserve itself for long. for instance this is the only thread it is currently mentioned in and it lacks of an easy to find title, the URL is almost useless and makes no sense. this will be buried within weeks if not days.

Gosford, Australia

let's just circlejerk moar

England

i wish ant1 still had his chipmusic blog.

Jellica wrote:

i wish ant1 still had his chipmusic blog.

brooklyn

Doesn't this pretty much cover it?

Philly, PA, USA

I love this as a thing