Minot, Maine

Hello, there. This is my first post to the forums!

Ok, so I recently picked up a macintosh laptop for doing things on the road and was wondering if there were any good tracking / chiptracking options for the Mac platform? I have tried out Milkytracker, but it doesn't seem to resize correctly on this particular OS, so I was wondering about alternatives to it. I know that Goattracker is pretty swell, but I would like something with a bit more flexibility.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the wonderful new community as well.

-Connor

MML is always an option! :3  Seriously though, there really isn't a whole for native OS X chipmusic creation.  Your best bet is to either dual-boot Windows or set up a virtual machine.  Also, don't forget that you can run tons of native trackers for different hardware in emulators and such.  That really adds a whole other dimension of tools at your disposal, but then you have to worry about inaccurate emulation and such things.  What exactly did you have in mind?

Sweden

Sunvox sounds right up your alley. Resizes to everything, easy and intuitive editor, flexible mixing/routing interface and it's actively being developed. Works on many platforms, including Mac OS X

Last edited by boomlinde (Feb 18, 2010 7:05 am)

Anaheim, California

well its not strictly for chip but how about Renoise

Minot, Maine

Well, ideally I'd like to have something like Famitracker available, but I guess that's just not possible :>

I'm beginning to think that I've made a mistake getting a Macbook, sadly.

Minot, Maine

I love renoise, and I use it all the time! Good rec. Russolo! And, I will check out this Sunvox right now!

Nashville, Tennessee

beware always pushes MML tongue

as for myself i use milkytracker. just load some fami samples and go

Nashville, Tennessee

goattracker works on mac as well.

RIT, NY, USA

little-scale seems to use KiGB, so you can run LSDJ in that. And there's always the piggy.

London, UK
I_CACTUS wrote:

I used to think that, and thought about getting a Windows netbook for a while, but to be honest the only tool that I was interested in that wouldn't run on a Mac natively was Famitracker, and when I tried it I didn't really get on with it anyway.

My current apps of choice are Renoise, LGPT and a little bit of Sunvox, all of which run natively on the Mac.

São Paulo, Brazil
I_CACTUS wrote:

watch your language! smile

don't worry, I'm a mac user (mostly because of final cut) and I know windows has a lot of more options for chipmusic than mac (not only trackers, but transfer programs, etc). The simplest solution is grab a copy of parallels. Parallels used to suck a few years ago, but today it's a blast! Windows XP run smoothly, right inside the OSX.

http://www.parallels.com/

London, UK

Milky resizes perfectly on my mbp 13", you need to go into the options and change the resolution.

Also, parallels is the long way round getting windows apps emulated on a mac: use crossfire http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/ - you can run windows programs within osx without having to install/boot a copy of windows. Click on the .exe you want to run and away you go. I do this with a windows copy of ableton live 8 (alas, I only have 6 for mac native) and famitracker. Works with old-ish games and most music applications.

since getting crossfire i've barely touched my windows 7 bootcamp on the same machine, it's that good!

A large majority of applications billed as 'mac native' are actually windows applications with a mac 'wrapper' (read: virtual machine emulation). This is true of most current videogames which are supposedly 'ported' to the mac. So what you're kinda doing with crossfire is doing the port yourself.

Last edited by Sabrepulse (Feb 18, 2010 12:26 pm)

São Paulo, Brazil
Sabrepulse wrote:

I do this with a windows copy of ableton live 8 (alas, I only have 6 for mac native) and famitracker. Works with old-ish games and most music applications..

well, this is great, cos when I tried crossfire a couple of years ago (early days of mac and desperate-searching for windows solution for it), crossfire couldn't even run photoshop. Great to know it runs ableton for windows! Gonna give it a shot.

but anyway, parallels still work for me for dingoo file-managing and lsdj cart transfer smile

You can adjust MilkyTracker's screensize to whatever you want if I recall correctly.

I think it has a custom option when choosing the size where you can input a value.

I forget what size I use, I think it's just a little bit bigger than the default. I should make it fullsize... it'd be easier to track with lots of channels.

uhajdafdfdfa

Schism tracker also runs on Mac. Sunvox is a good suggestion. If you have DosBox and it works nicely then there's a whole load of trackers you can run in there, so you should try that out too.

DOSBox on Mac runs kinda shitty depending on what you're doing. Works fine for ripping SNES samples but for playing AdlibTracker 2 tunes it lagged a lot. It's kinda tricky to navigate too because it's different without C:/ and all that. You have to use mount c /Users/You/Whatever/BLAH.

Schism seems alright. I still need to learn that. I know there are a few bugs but there are ways to get around them. Same with MilkyTracker.