sweden

Hi!

I found this a bit interesting since most bigger websites only write about chiptune cover releases.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/12477-adventure/

I know it's a bit old but still.

/ nordloef

To the mass media/populace, chipmusic is a novelty. For them it's the mathematical:

song I know from radio play + nostalgic bleeps and bloops = lol funny

A one listen through for jokes, a share on facebook and then a quick decay inside their minds. We shouldn't be marketing to those people at all. The fans we already have do listen to us and they do it for all the right reasons.

Savannah, Georgia
Heosphoros wrote:

To the mass media/populace, chipmusic is a novelty. For them it's the mathematical:

song I know from radio play + nostalgic bleeps and bloops = lol funny

A one listen through for jokes, a share on facebook and then a quick decay inside their minds. We shouldn't be marketing to those people at all. The fans we already have do listen to us and they do it for all the right reasons.

wisdom

It's not peoples fault for not knowing how something is made, or fully understanding music at all.. I think that type of person is more sensitive to the effect music has on the mind, but at the same time completely ignorant.....also fuck journalists and being interviewed imo. It's usually just someones job, and not a passion. The most accurate review I've ever gotten was on someones tumbler; NOT the local  newspaper.

NC in the US of America

I think that type of person is more sensitive to the effect music has on the mind, but at the same time completely ignorant...

Yeah, because they're not distracted by all the internal analysis and criticism and dissecting that goes on in the mind of the musically-inclined.

shitbird wrote:

It's not peoples fault for not knowing how something is made, or fully understanding music at all.. I think that type of person is more sensitive to the effect music has on the mind, but at the same time completely ignorant.....also fuck journalists and being interviewed imo. It's usually just someones job, and not a passion. The most accurate review I've ever gotten was on someones tumbler; NOT the local  newspaper.

you seem mad.

uhajdafdfdfa

every single pitchfork review is unreadable tripe, why would their reviews of chip stuff be any different smile))))))))

Heosphoros wrote:
shitbird wrote:

you seem mad.

^started as an opinion, and turned into a rant, lol

or debate....ffffuuuuu  im leaving internet

Last edited by shitbird (Jun 24, 2012 10:32 pm)

Note that Adventure, like every squarewave-bashing artist to touch hipster media, didn't associate himself with the 'chipmusic scene' (indeed, the comparisons the journalist makes are to Crystal Castles and Dan Deacon/Wham City, not Nullsleep and Goto80). The chipmusic scene we know and love is an impenetrable outsider ghetto totally separate from the alternative mainstream.

I'm not convinced by the argument that the audience for chipmusic consists solely of slightly nerdy console limitation-pushers and nostalgic keyjazzers though. Does anybody remember Bjork bigging up Bodenstandig 2000? gwEm releasing on Shitkatapult? Quarta330 becoming a Hyperdub staple with his 100% LSDJ tracks?

Think like a Pitchfork artist and you will appear on Pitchfork. It doesn't matter if you make jazz (The Bad Plus), experimental noise (Hecker), or chipmusic (Adventure).

NC in the US of America
Stevens wrote:

I'm not convinced by the argument that the audience for chipmusic consists solely of slightly nerdy console limitation-pushers and nostalgic keyjazzers though.

Of course not. I mean, just look at the number of clueless-to-the-process people who come out to the shows and enjoy them? Only problem is... then they get transformed into slightly nerdy console limitation-pushers and nostalgic keyjazzers.