Philadelphia

I've been looking into picking up a Korg Mini KP for a while now so I can add a bit more to any live performance I may do. However, now I can't decide on whether or not I actually want to buy the mini or go ahead and get the larger Kaoss Pad 3. Originally I said I wouldn't go out and buy one because they're pretty expensive. But just for fun I went on to ebay to look at some prices of used ones and I've found some that are only maybe $50 more than the Mini KP. Now I'm just wondering if any of you guys happen to have any opinions on or experience with either of the products that might make me want to go in one direction rather than the other. I like the battery option that the Mini KP offers, but I don't know if that should be enough to stop me from going with the KP3.

The Mini KP:
http://www.korg.com/minikp

Kaoss Pad 3:
http://www.korg.com/KP3

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

What do you plan to do live? And what kind of future setup are you hoping for?
I.e. synced drum machine, keyboard, dj effects.

As we were talking about in the other thread, I choose the mini kp because of it's portability, simplicity for live effects, and as an afterthought because I plan on doing other stuff live like synths.

So I guess what I mean is: do you plan to dedicate live performances to playing it and lsdj live?

Also what price do you see the kp3 for on eBay? Just curious.

KC

I have the kaossilator, kaossilator pro, and KP3, but not the mini KP, so can't speak for it.

advantage of the KP3 & kaossilator over the older ones, mid in & out ports (which means you could sync the midi clocks to your gameboys), the cool LED screens, and 4 sample banks (or channels), not one like the originals.

disadvantage:bigger, no batteries.

advantage of the original mini & kaossilator, smaller & battery option

Last edited by Grymmtymm (Jun 24, 2012 10:01 pm)

KC

even with their bigger size than the originals, the newer ones are still much more portable than any other keyboard synth

Grymmtymm wrote:

even with their bigger size than the originals, the newer ones are still much more portable than any other keyboard synth

But factor in their playability as a synthesizer and it's not worth it. Kaoss Pad as a synth is laughable imo. The best portable synth you could get is the microkorg.
That's not to say any of the kps aren't okay to use as a synth like the Kaossilator, just nowhere near as functional as a keyboard synth. That being said, I own a Kaossilator and a microkorg. tongue

But I digress from OT. tongue

Philly, PA, USA

Yo, bother me and i can let you borrow my mini kp at the next 8static for a little while so you can get a better sense of if it's what you want long term or not, i barely use it because i've been doing all my junk in ableton

Philadelphia
Auxcide wrote:

What do you plan to do live? And what kind of future setup are you hoping for?
I.e. synced drum machine, keyboard, dj effects.

As we were talking about in the other thread, I choose the mini kp because of it's portability, simplicity for live effects, and as an afterthought because I plan on doing other stuff live like synths.

So I guess what I mean is: do you plan to dedicate live performances to playing it and lsdj live?

Essentially for right now that's what I plan on doing. I'm also thinking about running two LSDJ carts into it through a mixer (which should be possible unless I'm just being dumb right now). However, down the road I may change my mind and want to bring a MIDI keyboard in as well or some other drum machine.

Also what price do you see the kp3 for on eBay? Just curious.

This one's going for $100 starting bid or $240 for buy it now which I wouldn't have a problem with actually.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KORG-KAOSS-PAD- … 35bda9f538

Some of the other ones are from $110-290 range.

Grymmtymm wrote:

I have the kaossilator, kaossilator pro, and KP3, but not the mini KP, so can't speak for it.

advantage of the KP3 & kaossilator over the older ones, mid in & out ports (which means you could sync the midi clocks to your gameboys), the cool LED screens, and 4 sample banks (or channels), not one like the originals.

disadvantage:bigger, no batteries.

So other than the bigger size and the no battery thing, have you had any other complaints or problems? Thanks!

A friend let me borrow his kp3 for a while and I honestly got tired of it and went back to my mini kp. It didn't make enough of a difference to me. If I had to choose I'd still choose the mini.

But I'm weird and love tiny things with batteries which appear reminiscent of gameboys.  wink

Philadelphia
pixls wrote:

Yo, bother me and i can let you borrow my mini kp at the next 8static for a little while so you can get a better sense of if it's what you want long term or not, i barely use it because i've been doing all my junk in ableton

That would be awesome. I'll be sure to ask. Thank you!

mainz, grmny.

When deciding if to get a KP3 or KPMini, please take the size into consideration.
The KP3 is bigger as the KPMini, while the KPMini is smaller than the KP3.

Always glad to help.

KC
SubWooferSpecial wrote:

So other than the bigger size and the no battery thing, have you had any other complaints or problems? Thanks!

no complaints, other than when one of my roommates asshole friends spilled a mixed cocktail all over it and gummed up all the buttons and sd card slot.

Grymmtymm wrote:
SubWooferSpecial wrote:

no complaints, other than when one of my roommates asshole friends spilled a mixed cocktail all over it and gummed up all the buttons and sd card slot.

Where's you dump their body?

KC
Auxcide wrote:
Grymmtymm wrote:

But factor in their playability as a synthesizer and it's not worth it. Kaoss Pad as a synth is laughable imo. The best portable synth you could get is the microkorg.

p

yeah well he was asking about the kaossilator family, not keyed synths. I also play keyboards : fantom G8, triton extreme, & korg X3

wish I had a microkorg & nord piano & moog taurus & a yamaha keytar. oh well, one day maybe

Don't we all. I luckily inherited a Yamaha keytar. They're pretty sweet.

You got some nice keyboards, mang. :0

OT: whichever one you get, it'll change you.
and I rarely really use my mini kp with batteries, but it's nice to have the option. If you get one, definitely get an adapter, you'll be on it a lot. wink

KC

I've been thinking about getting rid of the X3, I don't play it as much as I thought and need/want some other equipment. also have 2 of the external flash memory cards used for storing the program/sequences.
one opened that has been used in the keyboard and one unopened and sealed

talk about your flash drives of yesterday!

Philadelphia

Just came across a Korg KP Quad for $175. I may end up getting that for the time being.