Philadelphia

We we're discussing how to achieve some good percussive sounds (kicks, snares, cymbals, toms, etc.) in another thread, but to be more organized I think it would be better to have its own dedicated thread.

So I'll start off with a snare that I just made that sounds pretty good (I think at least). Go to your noise channel and create a new instrument and set it up as follows:

Envelope - A1
Output - LR
Length - Unlimited
Shape - CE
S CMD - Free

Then make a new table and set it up like this:

TSP---CMD---CMD
EF  | O-L   | E-F5
00   | O-R   | S-40
00   | O-L   | S-E7
00   | O-LR | - 00
00   | - 00   | S-E4
03   | - 00   | S-08
00   | - 00   | S-35
00   | K 00  | K 00

Works best as C5 or C4

Last edited by SubWooferSpecial (Jun 26, 2012 2:56 pm)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Simple snare I like using now:

I use it at C3, but it sounds good at C4.

Noise
A3
LR
UNLIM
FC
FREE

TABLE
CMD 1
O-R
O-L
O-LR
---
(At C put H-03)

CMD 2
S-00
S-0F
S-E2

(At C put H-03)

NC in the US of America

Here's a nice long crash with a delay effect that I discovered during my latest experiments in LSDJ:
Noise
Envelope: C7
Output: LR
Shape: D0
S CMD: FREE

TABLE
TSP|CMD
FF | SD0
FF | S00
00 | SDD

No Hops or Kills = long echo.

Makes for a good "final crash" in a dramatic ending.

Edit: Tested in BGB only. I haven't done it on an actual DMG yet.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jun 27, 2012 2:38 am)

Here's a crash I'm using for an epic track I'm working on. wink

I used C3, but octaves up to C6 sound good. Actually C6 sounds really good.

NOISE
D7
LR
UNLIM
FE
FREE

TABLE
CMD1
S-00
-
-
-
-
-
S-FF
-
-
-
-
S-00
H-00
-
-
-

Note: play with the last S command, you can get some nifty action out of it.
Also, add panning in the second CMD if you so desire.

So us 3 are the only ones with percussion patches to share?
(*bump*)

I'll throw some in, but I found these on youtube and patchbooks, so these aren't original and probably not as good as the rest in this thread. I'm going to try the rest out myself right now!

WAV Kick:

Play - Manual
Length - 0

Synth

Phase - Resync
Start Volume - 40

Table

0- 00PEB -00
1- 00-00 -00
2- 00-00 -00
3- 00-00 -00
4- 00-00 -00
5- 00-00 -00
6- 00K00 -00

Simple NOI Closed Hi-Hat:

Envelope - 54
Output - LR
Length - 19
Shape - FF
S CMD - Free

NOI Snare:

Envelope - A2
Output - LR
Length - Unlim
Shape - BE
S CMD - Free

Table

0- 00-00 -00
1- 00-00 -00
2- 00-00 -00
3- 00-00 -00
4- 00-00 -00
5- 00-00 -00
6- 00-00 -00
7- 00-00 -00
8- 00K00 -00

Philadelphia

Also, I'd like to note that I've been testing these both on my DMG and in BGB. The only reason why I'm bringing this up is because I loaded one of my .savs into KiGB and VisualBoy today at work, and found them to sound different and weird (still don't know why).

BK
SubWooferSpecial wrote:

Then make a new table and set it up like this:

TSP---CMD---CMD
EF  | O-L   | E-F5
00   | O-R   | S-40
00   | O-L   | S-E7
00   | O-LR | - 00
00   | - 00   | S-E4
03   | - 00   | S-08
00   | - 00   | S-35
00   | K 00  | K 00

Works best as C5 or C4

Hoolycrap. Optimize your tables, son!
Sorry, not trying to talk down or anything. Just a word of warning- the game boy CPU has a tendency to sacrifice the noise channel if the sum of all the channels is too much for it to handle, and with a table as complex as this, the chances of it skipping are pretty high. Keep playing around and see if you can get the same sound with something simpler, it'll pay off in the end.
I used to have tracks with tables like this (Radionecrosis used to have a SUPER complex snare table) and it wouldn't work half the time live. Honestly, most of my noise tables don't use more than 3 or maybe 4 transposes, and they're crazy stable.

hardcore, Australia

Kit

707/909
volume: 3
output: LR
pitch: 00
offset: 00/00
length: aut/aut
loop: off/off
speed: 1x
dist: clip
vib type: hf
automate: off
table: off

Philadelphia
Kris k wrote:

Sorry, not trying to talk down or anything. Just a word of warning- the game boy CPU has a tendency to sacrifice the noise channel if the sum of all the channels is too much for it to handle, and with a table as complex as this, the chances of it skipping are pretty high. Keep playing around and see if you can get the same sound with something simpler, it'll pay off in the end.
I used to have tracks with tables like this (Radionecrosis used to have a SUPER complex snare table) and it wouldn't work half the time live. Honestly, most of my noise tables don't use more than 3 or maybe 4 transposes, and they're crazy stable.

Oh no, I'm glad you did say something. I'm still kind of new and dumb with all of this. So I took your advice and changed it a bit (don't know if I really cut out enough), sounds pretty close to the original still so I'm happy with it.

TSP---CMD---CMD
EF  | O-L   | E-F5
00   | O-R   | S-F8
00   | O-L   | - 00
00   | O-LR | S-F9
00   | G-00   | K-01

And using it at C6.

Tacoma, WA

I wish 2xAA would get more done on uCollective... there still is some of the patchbook done, but I would really love for it to get to the point where more content can be added.
(check out the noise section)
http://ucollective.org/patch/

California

2xAA is getting lots done on µCollective (including work on the Patchbook), it's just that you can't see it quite yet. Here's a picture of the new site in development that he posted on Facebook.

Nottingham, UK
Kris k wrote:

You have just explained to me exactly what's going on when I lose snares in table intensive tracks. Thank you bro.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Jun 27, 2012 1:28 am)

VCMG wrote:

2xAA is getting lots done on µCollective (including work on the Patchbook), it's just that you can't see it quite yet. Here's a picture of the new site in development that he posted on Facebook.

That looks sooo much better.

Philadelphia

Damn, I see someone has done the same cover I'm working on right now :'(