vancouver, canada

i just wanted to post my first milestone in my DMG modding adventures!  i'm really happy with how it turned out.

my overall idea was as follows:
1) have pure white light internal lighting
2) diffuse it all to hell

full photo set on my facebook page

- clearboy case, internally sprayed with Krylon Transparent Frosted Glass finish
- white custom screen cover
- white VC series backlight mod
- PCB Mount prosound mod v2
- white directional/A/B buttons
- silicone start/select buttons

down the line, i would love for the unit to have more uniform diffuse internal lighting both in the front and the back of the case, but i'm not sure if i should even bother because i'm not sure how well it'd turn out.  anybody have any insight into how best to approach this?  Please feel free to offer any other suggestions and feedback as well.

things i'm considering:
- adding more frosting, to better diffuse the light, and to make the unit look more white overall.  i don't want to overdo it though; i still want the thing to look translucent and not opaque.
- i'm planning to remove the maroon logo and text, because i want the colour scheme to be as clear/white as possible and the maroon kinda messes with that.

HUGE thanks to justinthursday, kitsch, apeshit and loomis for providing all these top-notch quality custom parts over the course of 4 months!  couldn't be happier with the process.

Last edited by bryface (Jun 26, 2012 6:27 pm)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Wow that is one pretty ghost
:0

Philadelphia

The frosted spray is a very nice touch!

good job. looks pretty cool.

Seattle, WA US

gahhhhhh this is one of the sexiest DMGs I've ever seen.. wanna make me one?? wink

Louisiana

This is awesome man. It's one of the things I wanted to try out when/if kitsch made his custom cases in clear and apparently he is, so I'm definitely going to give this a shot along with th other things I've been wanting to test. Glad to know it actually works though. It looks fucking amazing. I'd leave it alone honestly. I think if you did another coat it might be to much...maybe though. By the pics it looks amazing though.

Louisiana

As for the lettering I've been told that a magic eraser lightly across it works to remove that. To much pressure will mess with the texture of the case though.

buffalo, NY

get the backlit start and select buttons

ohio gozaimasu

Damn that is sexy!

Unsubscribe

Yo splatter painters, take note how subtle can be better!

Philly, PA, USA

Haven't really thought a gameboy looked good in a while, nice job!

San Antonio, Texas

Looks good man

shanghai

i am one to hate on these modded dmg's usually.
for this one i make an exception cos it does look pretty damn er, pretty !

Fargo

That looks really sweet!  I might try that type of paint myself!

México, DF.

The weirdest boner, i'm tellin' ya.

North Bridge

One of the most sexy & elegant designs I've ever seen.