Savannah, Georgia

so i recently created a song which makes heavy use of samples and the WAV channel, and in the recording process it's hardly audible over the WAV channel's sample noise.

is there anything I can do to reduce this noise past use of an entirely different gameboy model? perhaps preparing samples differently, or using a certain filter? on a less important note, what the hell even causes it?

Last edited by Aeros (Jul 1, 2012 5:10 am)

http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2008/1 … -lsdj.html

Gosford, Australia

My prosound gameboy does this, the rest of mine do not. Coincidence?

Savannah, Georgia

i honestly think it's not an issue with sample preparation - when you disable the sample altogether using O--, it still makes the noise. i suppose it'd have to be something hardware-related.

Listening now, it just sounds normal to me. Could just be the fact that you're using a gameboy to process samples continuously. You can make them a little cleaner by processing them like that, but in the end, it's being run through something intended to just process the occasional low-bit sample.

Maybe try fixing it a little bit in post production? You could record the wav channel seperatley, try to EQ out some of the noise, then record the rest of the channels with the wav channel muted and line up the recordings.

Sweeeeeeden

Could you send me the song and LSDj ROM (so I can see your samples) to [email protected]?

Yeah; sounds like fairly standard fare for sample noise. If you figure out an additional way to reduce noise let us know; I'd love to make a Mellotron Piano kit; but the noise has just been too strong so far.

Ciudad de méxico, MX

I change the pitch and use a table with K commands. It makes the sample sound cleaner,

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
Zef wrote:

Yeah; sounds like fairly standard fare for sample noise. If you figure out an additional way to reduce noise let us know; I'd love to make a Mellotron Piano kit; but the noise has just been too strong so far.

I was surprised people liked my song Ellipse even though it used sample piano chords. I guess it turned out okay.
I recently did a song with heavy sampled stuff. I used guitar samples and some synths. I think it sounds much better on an sp. It doesn't have nearly as much static as your example.

Edit: yeah use k commands to clean it up. Especially drum stuff.

Last edited by Auxcide (Jul 1, 2012 3:58 pm)

Cleveland, OH

Which Game Boy are you using and which CPU number is it?

Savannah, Georgia
justinthursday wrote:

Which Game Boy are you using and which CPU number is it?

that would be the number visible on the PCB when you remove the battery cover, correct? i'm running a DMG, rev. 6, if that's the case.

The lower sample quality gives it a lot more character in my opinion. The piano stuff in auxcide's track sounds mad cool!

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
Frostbyte wrote:

The lower sample quality gives it a lot more character in my opinion. The piano stuff in auxcide's track sounds mad cool!

heart

Like in that track, I used k commands and e commands for a good delay feel. It helps to get rid of the more audible low quality static at an end of a sample.

Madison, Alabama

Just embrace the noise and call it "character".  That's what I do, and I sample piano and guitar chords on several tracks.  Just let it be grungy. 

Other than embracing the noise, try EQing the sample in various ways before loading it in.  I find cutting some of the lows and highs to help a bit.  Then when you master the track, play around with EQing.  I use a 32 band EQ and find I can cut down on the noise a bit that way as well.  The longer a sample is, though, the more apparent the noise is, and sometimes there is just no getting around it.

I mean, it's a gameboy. Keep that in mind.

The fact that you're making an almost entirely sample based song on it is way past the intended purpose.

Last edited by Frostbyte (Jul 2, 2012 2:46 am)

Unsubscribe

Ive found that if you truncate the decay on the sample sound as much as possible, you can avoid lots of the noise on the stock kits.