IL, US
George wrote:
Anamanaguchi wrote:

My advice: don't follow advice, do what you want.

Especially not mine (that was not an advice, but an opinion), I'm probably not representative of this scene.

i agree with you actually, though ive usually heard everyone playing blip before (at least a few tracks)...but im not really representative of the tastes around here myself
id think itd be important to not get caught up in the bigger better grander thing, as making the dream lineup would have you spending more than youd possibly take in at the door just to cover artists' travel, much less pay, house and maybe buy them a pizza...new york artists are an obvious help to this situation as would be working with out of towners to arrange car pools when possible, etc...dont go into this budgeting to have a sellout crowd, or youll be out a lot of cash...
best bet is to go heavier on local acts and lesser knowns, an overseas artist or two (maybe three) but try to keep your total travel expenses low

FlashHeart
nonfinite wrote:

Note!, multifaros, Diamonds & Dynamite, Natty, WDUWSTS, Dauragon teamed up with A_Rival, E.S.C., x|k.

Anthony! Thank you for the nomination. I'm honored!
This sounds like a bizarre and ambitious project: so I'm all for it. But don't try to copy Blip Fest. The organizers of Blip already have that covered better than anybody else could.

Also, this Kickstarter stuff is getting ridiculous. I'm going to start a kickstarter account to make back all the money I've donated to kickstarter accounts.

Tokyo, Japan

I think running a 1000 plus capacity event is highly ambitious, obviously hope it does well but I think you don't really have the luxury of booking only chip music acts. I think you may need to tie it into some other cultural phenomena like games or anime or invite a few well known artists from outside the scene. Bearing in mind your capacity is over what Blip pulls on its busiest nights I am move curious how you sold the event to the club.

Last edited by B3tabot (Jul 29, 2011 4:45 am)

Cambridge UK

Keep in mind that an empty venue feels, hrm, empty.

Last edited by B3tabot (Jul 29, 2011 4:45 am)

New York City
George wrote:

tbh, your "obvious list" is just a bit...hrm...obvious. To a point it's borin

I wholeheartedly agree with Jorgelina here. So bring me, I'm exotic tongue
Seriously, she makes a great point. (So do I xD)

Also, the club might be all up for it because you talked them into it. Have you discussed matters as bar deposit? From my experience in arranging shit in NYC, most places will be all fine and dandy if you promise them the numbers they want to hear, but always ask for a bar deposit, which is basically the average money they would make on the night of your choice to come out even. I don't even want to hear how much it is for a 1000 capacity club hmm

Unsubscribe

I dunno when trying to fill a giant room, is obvious such a bad idea? The tough part of curation is balancing the cool with the commercial. big_smile

New York City
herr_prof wrote:

The tough part of curation is balancing the cool with the commercial. big_smile

Define "commercial" for this case xD

Eugene, OR

Oh how i wish I lived in NY...  let me count the ways....

IL, US
herr_prof wrote:

I dunno when trying to fill a giant room, is obvious such a bad idea? The tough part of curation is balancing the cool with the commercial. big_smile

only problem i saw with it was the high number of out of country or opposite coast people due to the extra airfare costs...but yeah, id think if it were all day and 12-14 acts were squeezed in, id split roughly with 7-8 big names (with msot of these being local or close enough to drive at least, but 2-3 international people from countries with cheap airfare to new york), 3-4 lesser known locals & semi locals & 3-4 lesser known people from far reaches or north america, maybe even a canadian...
something along those lines to balance needs of cost & curation variety while still having enough well known bigger name acts to draw in out of state attendees

Unsubscribe
akira^8GB wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

The tough part of curation is balancing the cool with the commercial. big_smile

Define "commercial" for this case xD

A serious attempt at filling a 1k seat venue.

FlashHeart

They have several rooms? That might provide some interesting options for format. Two stages? A chill-out room for all the teenagers to come off their ritalin highs?

But seriously, Betabot, I would recommend NOT trying to organize a show by asking people on a forum what they want to see. This place is cluttered with opinions.

I'd suggest choosing a very small group of people who actually want to help you, are familiar with New York and the chiptune scene, have booked shows before, and then ask their advice in private. Otherwise you'll run into the problem of everyone thinking they can do everything better than you and things might get discouraging.

Cambridge UK

I believe Natty brought a very valid point.
This thread may be seen by people as somewhat of a lack of professionalism/vision on your part. Definitely not something you want when trying to organize such a big event.

When it comes to curation in itself, asking other curators about what has worked or not for them should prove useful. Attending many shows and noting down what you think works and doesn't will certainly help building your own vision as a curator, and therefore make your events different, special. I've went to shows where I didn't even know 1/3 of the artists on the lineup, solely based on the fact I trusted the curators' vision. They've always been great experiences as a spectator for me.

Asking, in private, spectators/enthusiasts that, in your opinion, represent well the type of crowd you are aiming to please is another way of narrowing down your options.

Last edited by B3tabot (Jul 29, 2011 4:46 am)

London, UK

have a huge street party with carnivale dancing and all the obvious list on a huge float in the shape of a dpad

now that's ambition.