hardcore, Australia

My point being, a - we can imagine the thread title is whatever we want. And b - sometimes you can finish a song in an hour or so. And any more will just leave you sore and not able to do it again for a whole.

Seattle, WA US
herr_prof wrote:

That's gross.

Though a valid point indeed

NC in the US of America
danimal cannon wrote:

This is obviously a troll thread, but try to reimagine the title: "Is it worth putting actual effort into your craft?" 

Yeah.

Of course, effort is subjective. One could spend 12 hours "working" on a song and not really doing anything except listening to it over and over.

Unsubscribe

I dunno, I'm probably a little too much of a romantic to compare the creative process to a bodily function.

The Bronx

Is light the source?

New Albany Indiana

I have about 20 songs that i work on randomly. i have less than 1 hour on each song.

NSW, Australia

I spend a huge amount of time listening over my tracks to make sure i like everything.

Westfield, NJ

if you spend more time than the actual length of the song, you are doing it wrong.

New Albany Indiana
Decktonic wrote:

if you spend more time than the actual length of the song, you are doing it wrong.

I dont think you could be any more wrong.

NSW, Australia
Bit wish wrote:
Decktonic wrote:

I dont think you could be any more wrong.

lol

Brunswick, GA USA

There is no "wrong," you either like the result you get or you don't.

Chicago IL, USA
Decktonic wrote:

Improvise every song and do it right the first try. Challenge accepted.

buffalo, NY

Not every musical idea is going to be gold. You have to put in 100 hours before you can churn out something amazing in an hour. This is already assuming you put in 1000 hours learning music (formally or not). 

You get what you put in, good luck, you'll need it

San Diego, CA

I feel that to some extent these "deconstruction of creative process" threads are pretty useless in the end. Other peoples' creative processes are only interesting to me as a point of reference, nothing more; or rather, I only care about the creative process of another AFTER they present me with a work. That way I can spend time trying to reverse-engineer how they do things, etc. If that's the way this thread is going, that's perfectly fine and everyone can carry on. But it seems like the dialogue is skewing more toward "what's the best amount of time to spend on a song?" And the answer should be "who gives a fuck?"

Trying to use someone else's creative process seems super unintuitive to me -- why would you care whether or not a musician takes months to create a song as opposed to a few hours? And more importantly, why would you waste your potential creative time on reading posts on an internet forum telling you cliches about how long you should spend on a song? There are more interesting things for us to talk about, guys.

EDIT: (like dance music, obviously)

Last edited by spacetownsavior (Jul 9, 2012 6:52 am)

uhajdafdfdfa
danimal cannon wrote:

This is obviously a troll thread, but try to reimagine the title: "Is it worth putting actual effort into your craft?" 

Yeah.

no it is not a troll thread, i was just wondering

some people make really good music in an hour and some people make really bad music in a month. so i don't think it is obvious that spending more t ime must definitely better

which is why i decided to ask

Cambridge UK

And now you can cross reference answers and quality of music and get SCIENCE.