England

where does improvisation fall?

i do quite a lot of that. where you spend no time making music but release it anyway mistakes and all.

Last edited by Jellica (Jul 9, 2012 12:02 pm)

uhajdafdfdfa

oh i didn't consider it because i thought we were all one person computer mussicers rather than groups of instrumental musicians

but improvisation is maybe the ultimate Not Spending Much Time On A Song . miles davis made 4 albums in 2 days maybe he sucks for not putting Actual Effort into his craft

Cambridge UK
ant1 wrote:

miles davis made 4 albums in 2 days maybe he sucks for not putting Actual Effort into his craft

We need Frostbyte wisdom to solve that one.
GO FROSTBYTE!

Paso del Rey, Argentina

Improvisation is a kind of instant composing process. The process in the mind of the musician is the same as the one that occurs when someone composes, but it happens almost instantly. However, a skilled improvisor, spends years learning to improvise, and nearly every improvisation uses elements previously learned that are called at the moment of playing. So improvisation does not take seconds, in fact it takes years to be mastered. I am talking of serious improvisation, of course.

AANABAY01

if, when you die, you have less albums than The Melvins, all the real musicians in hell are going to laugh at you

ant1 wrote:

oh i didn't consider it because i thought we were all one person computer mussicers rather than groups of instrumental musicians

but improvisation is maybe the ultimate Not Spending Much Time On A Song . miles davis made 4 albums in 2 days maybe he sucks for not putting Actual Effort into his craft

yes, but when he went home how long did the engineers spend? and how much practicing did he do?

Chicago IL, USA

if we talk actual composition and not making/designing/whatevering the sounds, most of the songs on my album Robotic Uprising took around 3-5 hours each to basically write and arrange, granted i don't use real hardware so the process is probably faster for me, but i generally don't like working on songs for too long. I used to never save my projects because I figured if I couldn't finish in one sitting, it wasn't inspired to begin with. the times I've done parts of songs and came back to later and put more than an afternoon of work into usually sound worse than the ones I bang out real quick. How some people spend months or even years (c'mon Dr. Dre) working on songs is beyond me.

Rochester, NY

where everything is made up and the notes don't matter

Unsubscribe
ant1 wrote:

maybe he sucks for not putting Actual Effort into his craft

Except for the thousands of hours he invested in becoming miles davis wink

Just think of all the songs that couldve been finished in the lifetime of this thread?

Rochester, NY

I've already finished 3

EDIT: of course, none of them are good because I didn't spend any time on them~

Last edited by ChipsChallengeBand (Jul 9, 2012 3:10 pm)

ant1 wrote:

Speak to any jazz musician, and they spend years upon years learning how to improvise...and those are mostly not original compositions. Jazz works a lot differently haha.

uhajdafdfdfa
herr_prof wrote:
ant1 wrote:

maybe he sucks for not putting Actual Effort into his craft

Except for the thousands of hours he invested in becoming miles davis wink

Just think of all the songs that couldve been finished in the lifetime of this thread?

i can invest thousands of hours in becoming ant1 without ever spending more than 15 minutes on a song too

which is why the Actual Effort Into Your Craft argument is not working for me

uhajdafdfdfa
Frostbyte wrote:
ant1 wrote:

Speak to any jazz musician, and they spend years upon years learning how to improvise

there is no reason why a chiptuner can't spend years upon years learning how to make chiptunes either

THIS IS NOT A THREAD "SHOULD YOU SPEND TIME ON CHIPTUNE" IT IS A THREAD "SHOULD YOU SPEND A LOT OF TIME ON A SINGLE SONG" there is a real difference there

Last edited by ant1 (Jul 9, 2012 3:52 pm)

AANABAY01

hey, you all realise zat time spent has absolutely no relation to effort whatsoever, right?

England
Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

hey, you all realise zat time spent has absolutely no relation to effort whatsoever, right?

yes i work with people who can spend all afternoon ordering a replacement warrenty phone for a customer. that is a lot of time for something that takes me 5 minutes and there is clearly no effort there.

Sweden
Frostbyte wrote:

Speak to any jazz musician, and they spend years upon years learning how to improvise...and those are mostly not original compositions. Jazz works a lot differently haha.

I guess you are trying to say that when estimating the time spent on a composition we should include our whole musical history as well.

I also think that not only does time not relate to effort, but effort isn't necessarily related to quality either. Some people are naturals, and some will die still sucking.