uhajdafdfdfa

I don't like their music but I don't really mind if they want to make money from it.

J. Arthur Keenes wrote:
arlen wrote:

Yeah I couldn't care less. They were pretty gimmicky.

people always fuck this up

I always thought "I could care less" was just the American way of saying it, haha.

Austin, TX

What Wizwars said : I don't like their music, but they have clearly worked for this.

New York City
smiletron wrote:

good news for the rest of us though. all publicitiy is good publicity

NOT really.

Also, who gives a toss if they were signed to Atlantic or whatever? Does that really make them noteworthy?
Being signed to a major label usually means that you produce a pile of steaming shit that masses of people with no taste will eat. It doens't necessarily mean you "worked hard". Depends on what "working hard" is to you.
If money is all you want from music, yeah, this is a success. I find that pretty pitiful.

Tacticalbread: I believe Keff was being sarcastic man, put the security level down to green, dude.

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

- Don't like their music
- More power to em
- Don't want this site to have upwards of 100k members

Connecticut USA

Yeah, who even cares. I don't really care for their music. But I mean if that's what they're into. *condescending laugh*.

Los Angeles

Most artists (chip or otherwise) are promoting a product to obtain money, fame, or both. Whether you are doing it for money and/or for notoriety makes no difference. Otherwise if you were really "just doing it for the music and/or yourself", you wouldn't post it up in a public place with the intention of being discovered by people and hopefully shared. Because "its not about that" right?

Once you have posted your "product" in a public place to be seen/heard/etc you have "sold out" as much as anyone else.

wink

rochester, ny

they're not really signed to ATLANTIC though. they're signed to some subsidiary company. there's a big difference between getting your tv show on NBC and getting your tv show on the weather channel, a subsidiary of NBC.

either way, good for them. i'm not the biggest fan of their music or the way they use nintendo stuff but they seem like nice enough people.

10k wrote:

also:

hahahaha.

i love that the one guy has to wear a captain america shirt because hot topic doesn't sell shirts for martian manhunter, hawkman, or aquaman.

Just 'cause they are on a label now doesn't mean they're gonna rake it in, they probably owe they're label money now if anything

The below link is not they're situation exactly but if you never read it, it could be interesting:

The Problem with Music by Steve Albini

I heard they made $10,000 with a fundraising/donation campaign selling limited edition stuff.  If there fan base is so helpful/generous, I'd think they would be better off working as hard as they have building it up even more, independently.

Look at really, really successful musical acts these days, they don't want to be on labels (radiohead, madonna)

Radiohead made the most money off of in rainbows then any album made when they were on a label.

Now of course I fight dragons are not this popular by a long shot, but I'm just using them as an example to make a point.

Anyway, blah blah blah, but why do people want to be on labels these days?  Enlighten me if you know.

nz

The license fees for all of those DC and Marvel logos are probably going to cost a lot.  Not sure how that works.

IL, US
8bitweapon wrote:

Most artists (chip or otherwise) are promoting a product to obtain money, fame, or both. Whether you are doing it for money and/or for notoriety makes no difference. Otherwise if you were really "just doing it for the music and/or yourself", you wouldn't post it up in a public place with the intention of being discovered by people and hopefully shared. Because "its not about that" right?

i disagree totally...wanting to share things youve made creatively doesnt mean you are seeking fame or cash, but you may just be a human being trying to express yourself and connect with others

though i suppose this is less common in LA wink

Unsubscribe

Itll probaly be cheaper to pay a designer some mo0ney for making legally vauge pixelstyle ripoff shirts.. big_smile

brooklyn!
Battle Lava wrote:

Anyway, blah blah blah, but why do people want to be on labels these days?  Enlighten me if you know.

tour support and booking, publicity, distribution.

i've read that albini article before, and while it definitely opened my eyes to how a lot of label interaction works, i wouldn't expect any given label deal to be an immediate gateway to big cash money. the association to a good label, however, can mean everything in getting your name out to new fans.
as for the radiohead example, they are capable of succeeding without a label, but that's only after they'd had major label support for fourteen years or so before releasing in rainbows. i'm hard pressed to think of an artist who's achieved that kind of status with no label connection of any kind.

also, as was stated by pete in the 8bc thread regarding IFD, there is literally nothing they've achieved that anyone on this forum couldn't if you worked hard enough. we can all put in the effort to make it to their level if we want, it's just about your work ethic. seriously, once one of us makes it big, they alone are not responsible for how the chip scene is represented - we all are.

IL, US
likeluke wrote:

also, as was stated by pete in the 8bc thread regarding IFD, there is literally nothing they've achieved that anyone on this forum couldn't if you worked hard enough. we can all put in the effort to make it to their level if we want, it's just about your work ethic. seriously, once one of us makes it big, they alone are not responsible for how the chip scene is represented - we all are.

well, its about your work ethic and what your intentions for your music are...

FlashHeart

Atlantic has gone downhill since Ahmet Ertegun died, huh?

Any way, I'm sure Otis Redding would have loved to be labelmates with I Fight Dragons.

Los Angeles
e.s.c. wrote:
8bitweapon wrote:

i disagree totally...wanting to share things youve made creatively doesnt mean you are seeking fame or cash, but you may just be a human being trying to express yourself and connect with others

though i suppose this is less common in LA wink

If you are sharing your work, you are seeking attention. To seek any attention goes beyond "I do it for myself/the music". So whats the difference between seeking attention and seeking fame? It's the same when you get down to the core. smile

I guess it boils down to either you are promoting your art for attention, money, or both.

Last edited by 8bitweapon (Feb 20, 2010 9:48 pm)

Brazil
akira^8GB wrote:
smiletron wrote:

good news for the rest of us though. all publicitiy is good publicity

NOT really.

My toughts exactly. As far as I know, this don't even bring the discussion of chipmusic in the media. They are just a rock band with some synths. Just that. Who cares?

You guys could stop whining or praising them and - I know it sounds selfish - do something for yourselves. I'm not in it just for the money, is good to get some with gigs, for sure, but I'm mainly because of the respect, to do something I like and want to share and etcetera. I'm doing stuff to at least have some coverage in the press, to make gigs, to show people here about chipmusic and that they can at least try to do some music too.