brooklyn!
Battle Lava wrote:
likeluke wrote:

tour support and booking, publicity, distribution.

True, but these things can be done without a label, but I guess are easier with a label, because someone else working for the label can do all that work for you.

I guess reading that albini article made me super paranoid of labels- that they are just crazy money hungry loan sharks!

hah, i would only really consider that to be the case for a huge major label. it's not like someone like suicide squeeze or 8BP is trying to cash in on its artists. tongue

and yeah, you definitely can do all that without a label, but speaking from experience of doing it without a label, it is a truly huge amount of work. consider being a solo artist and doing your own booking, PR, and handling the shipping of all your own merch and records, then add the actual work as a musician of writing, recording, and performing. that ideally should be the whole point of a label: not to cash in, but to get the support you need on the business end so that you can keep your music your primary focus. to bring that radiohead example back, they might not be on a label, but they definitely still have numerous agents and employees who are working directly for them. once you hit a certain point, trying to handle everything yourself becomes an impossible exercise.

brooklyn!

and just so i'm clear on this: is the general consensus that if you want to be a famous musician, you're doing it for the wrong reasons?

Unsubscribe

Pretty girls like dudes who want to bed them to act at least somewhat disinterested in things other than true love.

New York, New York
Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

ihugdragons

ihugzzzb heart

NSW, Australia
10k wrote:
Nue wrote:

What the fuck? You don't know these people. "They got singed. They sold out man!" Go back to making awesome avatars.

So I take it you dig them Darcy?

Musical taste is subjective, so don't get too riled up about that here. As mentioned above, keep the hate at h8bc.

However, you are right, being signed does not mean selling out.

Not really, the only track i can name of the top off my head is the Overture.

Sorry, tacticalbread. What i said about your then avatar was stupid. But i stand by everything else i said before that. smile

Last edited by Nue (Feb 21, 2010 10:43 am)

IL, US
likeluke wrote:

and just so i'm clear on this: is the general consensus that if you want to be a famous musician, you're doing it for the wrong reasons?

no, not necessarily...
just im saying i think its wrong to assume that its everyone's motivation
i think there are numerous reasons to make music and few of them are anything id consider a "wrong" reason..

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

I think fame can come for a number of reasons.
I am pro-fame when one hasn't earned it by conforming to what the masses want.
There are people on this here forum who are what I would call famous and they have become so by doing what THEY want, on their terms.
I believe their reach, longevity and dignity are going to last our far more than someone who gargles balls for a record deal.
As I have said, if I was offered a deal, fuck yeah I would take it, but I think what e.s.c. could be saying is that he believes that these guys have compromised "the art of chip" a bit more than he would ever be prepared to. Too much gimmick... 

Was I close e.s.c.?

IL, US

sorta, though i was talking more about the fact that some musicians just dont want to be famous, some do...i tend to respect musicians who are famous more if they are the type who werent trying to be famous, but more just tried to make music their concern...like luke said, trying to get on a relatively minor label for tour support and help doing that sort of shit i dont mind..its more when people have this goal of becoming famous that it bothers me, since often then they focus on doing what it takes to achieve fame, not on just writing songs that they enjoy writing....
as far as i fight dragons, i dont know them well enough to know if they are just becoming famous or they are trying to be famous, though i am personally put off them a little by the whole "we all wear clothes that thematically match" thing as well as the way they present themselves (and the manner in which they use chip elements), which do make me think that their interest in chip music may be less than genuine and more about marketing...again, this is based mostly off the way they present themselves as a band, so i cant be sure...but if thats not the case, they may wish to pursue new ways of presenting themselves, ie not coordinating their clothing

Liverpool, UK

That's just building a brand though, many people including 'legit' chipmusicians do this themselves, even if your image is having no image, it's still an image - you yourself use the same 'esc' logo for all your releases, that is still somewhat of a branding exercise! IFD have just taken it one step further and co-ordinated their clothes - which you can't do as you're only one person.

IL, US

yeah but using a consitent artist name so your fans can find you again on subsequent releases is not the same as basically deciding a costume scheme for your band to share

uhajdafdfdfa

Yes, making music for fun and getting famous as a result is very different to making music to get famous and having fun as result. Re: 8bitweapon, I don't think everyone who makes music is doing it to get attention - I suspect mostly, people make a song for enjoyment, and then listen and decide they want to share it on the internet, rather than sitting down and saying to themselves "now I will make a song to upload at chipmusic.org".

Camden, London

Good luck to them.. they obviously love doing it. I like to call them Weezermanaguchi

Bit Shifter wrote:

attentive listeners will usually see that a mile off

~20% of their possible target demographic gone is not a huge problem for labels.

Also, I agree with Akira, mostly about everything he's ever said.

Last edited by PlainFlavored (Feb 21, 2010 1:52 pm)

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

I'll stop trying.

brooklyn!
e.s.c. wrote:

sorta, though i was talking more about the fact that some musicians just dont want to be famous, some do...i tend to respect musicians who are famous more if they are the type who werent trying to be famous, but more just tried to make music their concern...like luke said, trying to get on a relatively minor label for tour support and help doing that sort of shit i dont mind..its more when people have this goal of becoming famous that it bothers me, since often then they focus on doing what it takes to achieve fame, not on just writing songs that they enjoy writing....
as far as i fight dragons, i dont know them well enough to know if they are just becoming famous or they are trying to be famous, though i am personally put off them a little by the whole "we all wear clothes that thematically match" thing as well as the way they present themselves (and the manner in which they use chip elements), which do make me think that their interest in chip music may be less than genuine and more about marketing...again, this is based mostly off the way they present themselves as a band, so i cant be sure...but if thats not the case, they may wish to pursue new ways of presenting themselves, ie not coordinating their clothing

i definitely get what you're saying, and agree that it's all about your personal goals, but it gets pretty hard to draw the line. thematic costumes themselves don't bug me (the locust, devo, etc), the thing that seems off about IFD's costume gimmick is that it feels like a weird attempt to tie their clothing into a sort of "nerdcore" image, which comes off as forced since their music doesn't really represent that scene beyond having the chip sounds. that part seems like poor branding, i suppose.

as for their interest in chipmusic, i honestly don't think their interest in chip music is much stronger than that of, say, horse the band (which is to say not very much). in both cases they're by no means ignorant of it, and know at least a little bit, even enough to learn some programming! but representing chip music isn't their goal, just representing i fight dragons. their chosen setup is clearly much more gimmicky than simply using a square wave sound on a fucking synth, but they enjoy the sounds, and have found a way to appropriate them in a way they want. on the whole, they won't have people at their shows getting mad because they're "fakebit", we're a pretty select few that know the difference. i honestly don't think it's strictly about marketing for them, they're just not trying to market solely to a chip music audience.

reading everyone's thoughts on "making it" in this thread has been pretty interesting. i agree that any fame you should earn as a musician should come naturally because of your given talent or originality, you won't ever leave your bedroom unless you have something new to offer. true, some musicians don't really aspire to be that kind of big, but everyone who feels they have an original voice wants to be heard and recognized, it's just about to what extent. when i think about my goals as a musician, my ultimate goal has never been to be in some ultimately famous globe-hopping band of millionaires, but rather to be a musician that someone could respect the same way i respect my heroes that informed and changed the way i write and play. everyone is aiming for recognition on some level, whether from their peers alone or from everyone on the globe. to stay on topic with IFD, i think they love making the music they make, and love these chip sounds enough to use them in a capacity they want, so they want recognition from everyone else who loves both those things. doesn't seem unfair to me.

sorry that this turned into a novella.

Brooklyn NY US
10k wrote:

gargles balls

LOL