Brooklyn NY US

also likeluke wins and rules

brooklyn!
Bit Shifter wrote:

also likeluke gargles balls

wait what

likeluke I like your posts in this thread

I'd loooove if one of the members of IFD would give us there side of it, but I don't see that happening.

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩
Battle Lava wrote:

likeluke I like your posts in this thread

I'd loooove if one of the members of IFD would give us there side of it, but I don't see that happening.

Go read the thread on 8bc, that's exactly what happened.
Also inb4 Brian of IFD comes here also, clears the air and solves everyone's questions, and thread dies.
Also likeluke beat this thread

Reteris wrote:

Go read the thread on 8bc, that's exactly what happened.

oh.  I will!  Didn't know.

New York City

heart u luke

))<>((

Surprisingly enough, that thread (on 8bc) is actually a decent discussion, and a lot of people make really good points.

lolusa
tacticalbread wrote:

Surprisingly enough, that thread (on 8bc) is actually a decent discussion, and a lot of people make really good points.

Fuckin' weird

I will never get big until I go to Russia/Ukraine, thats where my demographic is according to last fm
brb

Los Angeles
Bit Shifter wrote:

God

Seeking attention for the sake of attention is basically the equivalent of seeking fame, and is generally a pretty soulless motivator for musicmaking, and attentive listeners will usually see that a mile off.

Seeking attention as a means to an end – for instance, personal / artistic connection, expression, dialogue, with peers, etc. – is, in my view, not the same thing. The attention isn't what's being actively sought, it's the connection. That to me is a pretty legitimate motivation for musicmaking, and I see it as distinct from the pursuit of attention for attention's sake.

You make a good point (damn you josh!). Of course, I understand most people want a connection with their peers. However, I think people who truly dont want attention and just want a connection are very few. This is based on the marketing being done by the majority of the music community. Also, at the end of the day you are still seeking attention on some level. Doesnt matter which version of attention you are applying for.

I'm not saying either version of attention is write or wrong, I'm just saying what is always there every time you look at the root. Point blank. I'd like to add that no one ever really knows anyone else's true intentions. To judge others as to which version of attention one seeks is mute. 

Art/music is an expression. It can be conceived and enjoyed by the creator alone, no one else ever has to be involved. Because people want to feel connected, they seek out other like minded people. Even to connect with others you still have to to get their attention first.

My point is what does it matter anyway? Who cares? Just make your music. If you wanna share it and/or sell it, great!

Dont shoot the messenger wink

Los Angeles
e.s.c. wrote:
likeluke wrote:

and just so i'm clear on this: is the general consensus that if you want to be a famous musician, you're doing it for the wrong reasons?

no, not necessarily...
just im saying i think its wrong to assume that its everyone's motivation
i think there are numerous reasons to make music and few of them are anything id consider a "wrong" reason..

What would the wrong reason be?

Band X writes a shit song for the sole purpose of making money. People want band X's music and it makes them happy to hear it, where's the wrong in that?

Band Y does it for money to feed their family and do what they love for a living at the same time. Is that wrong too?

How do you know if either band isn’t actually doing it for both love of the craft and the money? Or just for love of the craft plus they get money by pure happenstance? You dont know,and you will likely never know.

Why does it seem that money = wrong around here in chipsville? We all have day jobs right? We don’t do those jobs for the love of it and especially not for free, right? So why cant IFD do what they love AND get paid for it?

OR Are we all sellouts because we work for pay at our day jobs?

wink

Last edited by 8bitweapon (Feb 23, 2010 6:47 pm)

rochester, ny

8bitweapon speaks the truth.

IL, US
8bitweapon wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

no, not necessarily...
just im saying i think its wrong to assume that its everyone's motivation
i think there are numerous reasons to make music and few of them are anything id consider a "wrong" reason..

Band X writes a shit song for the sole purpose of making money. People want band X's music and it makes them happy to hear it, where's the wrong in that?

Band Y does it for money to feed their family and do what they love for a living at the same time. Is that wrong too?

How do you know if either band isn’t actually doing it for both love of the craft and the money? Or just for love of the craft plus they get money by pure happenstance? You dont know,and you will likely never know.

Why does it seem that money = wrong around here in chipsville? We all have day jobs right? We don’t do those jobs for the love of it and especially not for free, right? So why cant IFD do what they love AND get paid for it?

wink

doing something thats a creative pursuit ONLY for money would be an example of the wrong reasons...so if the ONLY reason an artist makes music is because they figure its easier than a day job, then fuck them...thats some bullshit...and what ive been saying in this thread is general, not in relation to i fight dragons really, so you can quit jumping back to them

rochester, ny
e.s.c. wrote:

doing something thats a creative pursuit ONLY for money would be an example of the wrong reasons...so if the ONLY reason an artist makes music is because they figure its easier than a day job, then fuck them...thats some bullshit...

why's that? who cares, honestly?

IL, US
nickmaynard wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

doing something thats a creative pursuit ONLY for money would be an example of the wrong reasons...so if the ONLY reason an artist makes music is because they figure its easier than a day job, then fuck them...thats some bullshit...

why's that? who cares, honestly?

people with artistic integrity, i suppose

Tacoma WA
e.s.c. wrote:
8bitweapon wrote:

wink

doing something thats a creative pursuit ONLY for money would be an example of the wrong reasons...so if the ONLY reason an artist makes music is because they figure its easier than a day job, then fuck them...thats some bullshit...and what ive been saying in this thread is general, not in relation to i fight dragons really, so you can quit jumping back to them

on the risk of getting more and more off topic

so if you can get a job doing something you like doing and its easier for you than a normal day job its for the wrong reason?

so by this logic people who make a living doing soundtracks, foley, and most other sound realted work are doing it for the wrong reasons? 
they're doing it for a living not for arts sake?

problem is arts not going to pay the bills.  and by the time you're at the stage it will you've been around long enough you are viewed to have paid your dues.  rather a circular argument

you can make music for music's sake when you can afford it.  but most of us have bills, mortgages, kids, and all those other real life things.  if you can do something you enjoy and make a living doing it i can see nothing wrong with that.

infradead wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

on the risk of getting more and more off topic

so if you can get a job doing something you like doing and its easier for you than a normal day job its for the wrong reason?

so by this logic people who make a living doing soundtracks, foley, and most other sound realted work are doing it for the wrong reasons? 
they're doing it for a living not for arts sake?

problem is arts not going to pay the bills.  and by the time you're at the stage it will you've been around long enough you are viewed to have paid your dues.  rather a circular argument

you can make music for music's sake when you can afford it.  but most of us have bills, mortgages, kids, and all those other real life things.  if you can do something you enjoy and make a living doing it i can see nothing wrong with that.

I think there is a distinct division between being paid to make music, vs. making music to get paid. 4mat works for a games company that tells him what style to write certain songs in for certain games, does that make him a sellout?