Hello I was Thinking about purchasing a LSDJ cartridge and I wa wondering if it came with a song already on it for reference? Or does it come with nothing and you have to work your way from scratch without seeing a reference on how to do things? Just a question.

Last edited by nitro2k01 (Jul 14, 2012 6:20 am)

No demo songs. The best way to learn is to start from scratch anyway, in my opinion smile There's also numerous tutorials to look for if you need somewhere to start. You can find those.

Scotland

There are plenty of .savs available out there to download and plagiarise.

NC in the US of America

They don't make LSDJ carts anymore. If you find one used, it might have the previous user's songs on it or something. However, some flash cart vendors can have LSDJ flashed onto it along with a sav file (if you send it to them or link them to it.)

Some LSDJ artists have given out .sav files with their albums (Auxcide, for example), and If you really want to have some example songs preloaded on your cart, I'd suggest using one of those.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 14, 2012 4:59 am)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
Frostbyte wrote:

No demo songs. The best way to learn is to start from scratch anyway, in my opinion smile There's also numerous tutorials to look for if you need somewhere to start. You can find those.

Yeah. Learn from scratch, it's not hard. Just takes some getting used to. Use tutorials.
Then when you've got the hang of things you can look in my .savs. wink

Gosford, Australia

my cart/rom came with a bunch of "songs" on it except i think they were just random data cause the names were all like fi2kj9hdufhufhdfhf

anyway yeah, there's tutorials on youtube and .savs to poke around in. i reckon starting with some cover versions is great to help you figure stuff out and develop technique - they don't have to be amazing and you don't need to "release" them or whatever but it's a great way to practice, i reckon

Sweeeeeeden

Title line edited and topic moved to appropriate location. Gee...

Depends who you buy from. LSDj is a rom and songs are stored in ram, typically.

I load "songs" onto carts before shipping them usually for testing purposes. I considered allowing artists to send in save files to be loaded onto carts for the free promotion. Maybe I'll get on that.

I think that it would be mostly confusing for you to look at an experienced user's LSDj .sav.

Everyone has their own way of structuring a song and using parameters.
Secondly, the data in trackers can be very cryptic for someone who hasn't already tried out different ways of using the software.

Just skim the manual and have a go, you'll learn quicker than you think.

EDIT: Oh, and here's the demo rom (download the latest)
It's quite an old build though, current full version is at 4.6.7

Documentation is over here

Keep in mind that the ROM on http://littlesounddj.com can be purchased for a very small amount of money.
When you have the rom you can just purchase a flash cart to get it running on real hardware. It's simple to use these days (if you're on a pc)

Have fun! smile

Last edited by _-_- (Jul 14, 2012 10:03 am)

Nottingham, UK

Mine came with 3 songs already on it. Not sure who flashed my cart when I bought it back then, but who ever it was taught me a lot of tricks tongue

buffalo, NY

My Bleep Bloop II carts came with a song called  "Blue" on them.  It was pretty good and I learned a lot of stuff from it early on.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I think one of my lsdj carts came with a song. I immediately deleted it after listening to it once to test the cart.
To each their own. smile

Neo Jersey

depends on the ROM. my bleep bloop came with a little scale song i think.

Sydney, NSW

I remember borrowing VicRoad's EMS cart for a show once and gave it back to him with some of my tunes still flashed to it.

I think the only other thing I can say is going to echo everyone else - read the manual, watch tutorials, but don't worry about browsing through finished songs in lsdj before learning it.

washington

It's just a blank slate. Although, there's an enormous amount of tutorials and how-to's on the internet. If you don't know how to use LSDJ, this tutorial helps a lot with the learning curve.

NC in the US of America

ITT we repeat the same answers over and over.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 15, 2012 5:47 am)