Chicago

Is there any easy way to compose with 2xLSDJ?
As of right now the only way I know to compose while hearing both DMGs is feeding them into a mixer.

Austin, Texas

I think it's just a cerebral process in a lot of regards.

You have double polyphony, so you just have to plan out in your head what kind of sounds you want playing together and write two different LSDSNGs that play well overlapping each other.

one time me and some friends used earphones in one gameboy then headphones in another. worked surprisingly well.

rochester, ny
GoingHam wrote:

Is there any easy way to compose with 2xLSDJ?
As of right now the only way I know to compose while hearing both DMGs is feeding them into a mixer.

yeah that's the only way to do it.

Cleveland, OH

I use two bunt speakers if I'm just chilling and writing. Or a head phone splitter reversed. I have this cool little cable that splits two male 1/8" to one female. I use to record two Game Boy Cameras when I first got into this that way. Now I use one LSDj cart for for drums(3 tracks) and maybe the last pulse channel for bass then I use the other cart for all the melody type stuffs. But yeah. I run it through a mixer.

Detroit, Michigan

I always wanted to try making a 2xLSDJ song but get strayed away from the thought of having to fill 8 channels lol,

Madison, Alabama

I usually write the frame of the whole song on 1xlsdj, so I have the song structure and all the parts basically done.  then I copy/past the whole thing below and start writing the second lsdj's parts one channel at a time in the copy/paste section.  That way when I'm writing the 2nd lsdj's pulse parts, for instance, I can still hear my main bass line or whatever. 

I like working with one lsdsng/sav for as long as possible.  Eventually the two parts become independent of each other and require two separate .savs, but by then the song is pretty close to finished.

Madison, Alabama
snesei wrote:

I always wanted to try making a 2xLSDJ song but get strayed away from the thought of having to fill 8 channels lol,

You don't *have* to fill all 8 channels!  That 2nd DMG can be very effective adding chorus effects or super stereo echoes to your leads.  Or 2 channel stereo arps or something.  Try writing a 1xlsdj song and then using the 2nd DMG to just fill the sound out.

Madison, Alabama
roboctopus wrote:
snesei wrote:

You don't *have* to fill all 8 channels!  That 2nd DMG can be very effective adding chorus effects or super stereo echoes to your leads.  Or 2 channel stereo arps or something.  Try writing a 1xlsdj song and then using the 2nd DMG to just fill the sound out.

[edit] sorry for the double post.  hmm

England

i alway find it far less daunting to write a practically finished song on one game boy, then start adding bits and details (extra percussion, filling out chords/whatever) on the second game boy.

edit: haha exactly what roboctopus just said! smile

Last edited by Jellica (Jul 27, 2012 1:21 pm)

Detroit, Michigan
roboctopus wrote:
snesei wrote:

Hmm, next song I write ill try that out. It would be rad to fill the sound with more panning and echo.

Chicago
roboctopus wrote:

I usually write the frame of the whole song on 1xlsdj, so I have the song structure and all the parts basically done.  then I copy/past the whole thing below and start writing the second lsdj's parts one channel at a time in the copy/paste section.  That way when I'm writing the 2nd lsdj's pulse parts, for instance, I can still hear my main bass line or whatever. 

I like working with one lsdsng/sav for as long as possible.  Eventually the two parts become independent of each other and require two separate .savs, but by then the song is pretty close to finished.

I had to read this a good two or three times to understand it completely haha, never even crossed my mind to use the same .sav
GENIUS!

They make 2 male -> 1 female 1/8" cables? I had always thought about just making my own.

BK

The Belkin Rockstar is a good option, its basically a splitter but allows you to feed multiple outputs into one input. only problem is that with every extra game boy you plug in, the volume of each input is cut in half. it's probably fine for a quiet room, but on an airplane or bus it might not do the trick.

uhajdafdfdfa
GoingHam wrote:

They make 2 male -> 1 female 1/8" cables? I had always thought about just making my own.

you should not mix with simple Y splitters like this. it is designed for splitting not for mixing. it may work in some cases but it is a pretty bad idea

"Anything that can be hooked-up wrong, will be. You-know-who said that, and she was right. A wye-connector used to split a signal into two lines is being used properly; a wye-connector used to mix two signals into one is being abused and may even damage the equipment involved.

Here is the rule: Outputs are low impedance and must only be connected to high impedance inputs -- never, never tie two outputs directly together -- never. If you do, then each output tries to drive the very low impedance of the other, forcing both outputs into current-limit and possible damage. As a minimum, severe signal loss results."

Chicago
ant1 wrote:
GoingHam wrote:

you should not mix with simple Y splitters like this. it is designed for splitting not for mixing. it may work in some cases but it is a pretty bad idea

"Anything that can be hooked-up wrong, will be. You-know-who said that, and she was right. A wye-connector used to split a signal into two lines is being used properly; a wye-connector used to mix two signals into one is being abused and may even damage the equipment involved.

Here is the rule: Outputs are low impedance and must only be connected to high impedance inputs -- never, never tie two outputs directly together -- never. If you do, then each output tries to drive the very low impedance of the other, forcing both outputs into current-limit and possible damage. As a minimum, severe signal loss results."

Whoops your a bit too late, I literally just got done soldered my own Y cable.
Too my surprise it seems to be working quite swimmingly.
What/Who are you quoting?

rochester, ny
roboctopus wrote:
snesei wrote:

this is great advice. many, if not all, of the 2xLSDJ songs you love do NOT have all 8 channels going at once.