London

Hello everyone, I have a complete noob problem, and I hope you can help me!

I was given a Gameboy classic complete with smart card, only when I try to connect it to my laptop it says "no driver software detected". I've mooched around the internet a bit to look for it with little success. I did manage to download some software for burning onto the smart card, but it doesn't detect my driverless GB. Help! Please!! I want to make it go bloop.

NC in the US of America

you're not supposed to connect the Smart Card to the computer while it's in the Gameboy.

London

D'oh!

Nonetheless when I try without the GB it comes up the same...

Austin, Texas

Important things to know:

1. Which operating system? It's a bitch to get them working in OS X, and not easy on some versions of windows newer than XP.

2. Did you install the driver? The device itself isn't natively USB, it has a chip in it that emulates a COM port. The complete software package should have had you install a funky unsigned driver for the COM port emulator/Smart Card.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure there are a ton of other threads about this. I'm not insinuating that you didn't search per se, but I think you'll be able to find information on the forum faster than I will at this point.

Last edited by Telerophon (Jul 30, 2012 11:48 pm)

Sweeeeeeden
Telerophon wrote:

Did you install the driver? The device itself isn't natively USB, it has a chip in it that emulates a COM port. The complete software package should have had you install a funky unsigned driver for the COM port emulator/Smart Card.

Incorrect. You're thinking of the other type of cartridge, which is using a properly signed FTDI driver. The EMS cartridge on the other hand is using a completely proprietary driver which actually exposes a form of mass storage device internally. But that's a detail that doesn't matter much really.

Austin, Texas

Thank you for correcting me!

EMS products, like a lot of mystery electronics from Hong Kong, never work the way I would expect them to. hmm

London

Well, this is my problem Telerophon, I have no driver and can't seem to find where to get one!

Perhaps I'm being an idiot, but it takes all sorts.

Last edited by Naff Natty (Jul 31, 2012 12:51 am)

Indiana

He did mention he got the cart secondhand, so he probably wasn't given the disc. Kitsch's page here http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/usb-64m-smart-card has all the relevant links right under the bulleted list

It's important to note, when installing those, whether your system is 32 or 64 bit. The 64 bit installation takes a few extra steps.

Last edited by Fudgers (Jul 31, 2012 1:33 am)

Harrisonburg, Virginia

Also read this post. It's a pretty succinct list of things to try when installing. I specifically recommend restarting after every major step. That's what solved the problems I was having with my EMS.

PA,USA

Upon start up,try pressing F8 and select "disable Driver signature enforcement". Works for me every time.