The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Ooh. I love trolls who act formal!

Canada
Auxcide wrote:

Ooh. I love trolls who act formal!

Why do you persist I'm a troll, is another human being not aloud to have a distinct informative opinion different from your own?

Canada

here's my lastfm if you guys need a better picture of the music I enjoy

http://www.last.fm/user/Exodusters

Savannah, Georgia

i think the two things that caused this were A. you posting ponies on cm.o, and B. you calling treyfrey an amateur. imo, you brought this one on yourself bro

edit: we're not your personal slave labor division, by the way. you don't need to start a thread where people hold your hand and guide you to artists. seriously, just go the fuck out there and look if you want to see more of a certain type of chipmusic.

Last edited by Aeros (Aug 1, 2012 6:47 am)

Melbourne, Australia

Someone close this thread.

Canada
Aeros wrote:

i think the two things that caused this were A. you posting ponies on cm.o, and B. you calling treyfrey an amateur. imo, you brought this one on yourself bro

Again I fail to see how enjoying something you don't, and retrospectively not enjoying something you do makes me a bad person.

Savannah, Georgia
Derris-Kharlan wrote:

Someone close this thread.

Canada
pixls wrote:

Do you even think about the things you say before you post them?

Harassment, calling me stupid.

Ugh. This is sooo dumb.
We get too many of these "good artists?"/"why doesn't anyone show potential" threads.

This is just a mess.
OT: 8bitchintendo

What's upsetting is that you don't actually realize how much work Treyfrey has put into his music. You've never talked to him, you've never known what he's like, and you've obviously never analysed the technical side of the music he makes. He's spent years building up his technical prowess that blows any of us other DMG composers away. There are things he does with his DMG that NOBODY else does. NOBODY. Listen to Push On. There's tricks and synths in that song that I've been studying since it's been released, and I'm still pretty lost on how they can be made. He does this all while keeping a danceable rhythm and a catchy melody. I don't know how his CPUs handle the stuff he throws at them. But really, compare a Trey song to anyone else's. You'll realize the sick amount of strange and ridiculously complex sound design his stuff has.

Trey's also one of the reasons that people started syncing 2 gameboys together. He posted Recovery on 8bc a long time ago. That song and Electric Children's IAYD remix made 2xLSDJ popular. He's a legend, and no, he doesn't sound like other artists. You haven't actually listened to what he does. That's why you're being harassed, you're shitting all over people's favorite artists and artists that made huge breakthroughs with chipmusic.

And you're obviously not looking hard enough if you think chipmusic is only gameboys.

Philly, PA, USA

whoops forgot to go to bed
ok ban me, fucking lol.

oh right, this whole thread should be enough for a ban, come on. this is patently absurd.

At least close the goddamn thread

Savannah, Georgia
Lazare wrote:
pixls wrote:

Do you even think about the things you say before you post them?

Harassment, calling me stupid.

we could say you're harrassing the community by starting a thread that doesn't need to be started and discussing your vague musical preferences. in fact, you compared much of chipmusic to "the same unce unce unce unce unce kick drum with the same 5 notes repeating for 6 minutes." that's an insult in itself, and as you can see, many others have taken it personally too. my advice: seriously, just look it up and stop posting, it's just pissing people off in the long run.

that and if we called harassment everytime someone said something bad, half of cm.o would be banned right now, let's be honest y'all

In all honesty, you don't need to know Trey's background to know how good and awesome his music is.

Also, for the record, I never listened to any 2xlsdj song before I started it. I'll have to go find those songs. tongue

Italy
Lazare wrote:
Frostbyte wrote:

So I'm not really sure what this thread is about though...what exactly are you looking for? Non-chip sounding chip that has melodies?

As I have state there is more than one sound chip in the world, not just the DMG.

Also the rules have been brought to my attention,

there is a good deal of harassment being placed on me here in this thread, and I have yet to see any kind of moderation over the action of said harassment.

The problem with the fact that chipmusic is becoming mainly gameboy music is because it's easier to afford, rather than some expansive midiNES, with just 2$ you get the LSDJ rom, with 40$ the flash cart and out there it's full of gameboy modders, so you can get a gameboy too and you're ready to go.
Also, I don't think other systems' sound (like Amigas and Sega consoles) are as famous as the "classic" Nintendo sound. And maybe not anyone has the possibility to get an Amiga system.
Exception made for the C=64 that maybe is easier to find.
So, imho the problem is in money and reperibility of gear

Anyway I'm not sure about this melody thing. I guess there are a lot of different people making different music, but since a lot of them went exploring new ways of making sounds, there is much more an expansion to unknown beats than to classic melodies. Also, famous artists someways influence the little artists (not totally but somehow) so if we hear more "not-full-of-melodies-music" by famous people sometimes we try to emulate that. With this sure I don't mean that we want to be famous as them making their same music.

EDIT: Shoot, I'm late!!

Last edited by Merutochan (Aug 1, 2012 7:03 am)

Auxcide wrote:

In all honesty, you don't need to know Trey's background to know how good and awesome his music is.

Also, for the record, I never listened to any 2xlsdj song before I started it. I'll have to go find those songs. tongue

Treyfrey - Recover
Treyfrey - Synapse
IAYD - When I Sleep, My Heart Speaks (EC Insomniac RMX)

NC in the US of America

Check out this guy named Pixel who made this game called "Doukutsu Monogatari". His stuff is pretty melodic. Also, 8bit Betty is quite melodic as well.

I'm trying to figure out where you guys are getting this "he wants chip that doesn't sound like chip". When did he say that? He did say he wanted less Gameboy sounds, and then somebody says "Listen to this GAMEBOY ARTIST it's EXACTLY what you want, yes?"

BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

FWIW: i dont think that asking for advice on finding chiptune music on a chiptune forum is really flame-worthy. it may be difficult for some of the newer members to understand, but there was a lot of chiptune before 4-on-the-floor gameboy unce style invaded everything, and just because he doesn't like some of the artists that you think are godlike doesn't make him an idiot or a troll.

QFE just because you think it's the best thing ever doesn't mean it actually IS. I wouldn't say that every acclaimed chiptune artist is the undeniable master of their art. This guy may have been exposed to melodies that blow [insert idolized chiptuner here]'s melodies out of the water.

I personally would also like to hear less CDM and more melody driven chiptune, and not just with melody as a short bridge between 42flor beats or wubby bass drops. But actual melodic music. It's funny, it was the melodic focus of retro VGM (and those inspired by it) and demo scene music that initially drew me to chiptune in the first place, and then when I got here it was mostly just *dan-ce dan-ce dan-ce dan-ce* or "wuuububububuWAAAbububububwub". I still like it, but it was not what I was expecting to be the mainstream.

I find good actually-melodic chiptunes on this site almost everyday, though.

Frostbyte wrote:

i think you'd enjoy this guy frostbyte

heard he's pretty okay

No offense, your stuff is GREAT, but there's so much over-stimulation and hyper-activity in your music that I wouldn't exactly call it "melodic", lol. It takes too much effort to figure out where the melody is coming from and where it's going. Not saying that's a bad thing. big_smile It's not exactly easy listening, though, lol.

Everybody has their own idea of melodic music. I think what this guy is looking for is music that is focused more on melody, with some good beats thrown in to support the melody, rather than getting the club crunk with hot beats and "oh, let's throw two measures of melody in there so people don't get bored".