Italy

Hi!
I need to get me a decent soldering iron, but I'm really no expert in this field. What do I need to consider when buying one? How many Watts do I need? What is too much and what isn't enough? Does a station with adjustable temperature make sense? Or is it overkill?
I need this to do some circuit bending, and to solder kits I will buy soon like Shruti-1 and SammichSID
thanks a lot!

York, Yorkshire

If you can afford it, go for a Weller WTCP51.  Easily the best solder station for a reasonable amount of money.  The iron is preset temperature, not adjustable, but is thermostatically controlled at the correct temperature for PCB soldering.  I used one for repairing laptop motherboards and it's perfect.

If you can't afford one, the only alternative worth considering is an Aoyue (or CSI, which is the same thing with a different badge on). But after a Weller, nothing else compares.

Minneapolis

Um, an adjustable Hakko can be found used for very nice prices too. And with soldering irons, if you're looking at getting a nicer model, don't be afraid to get a used one. They don't typically just die, and if all you have to do is get a new tip then it's worth your while.

Carbondale, IL

First off, if you are buying this iron to do electronics work, do not buy a gun-type iron.  They are primarily used for larger, heavier connections that soak up a lot of heat.  One of those bad boys would peel the traces off a PCB before you could say "what's that smell".

Your best bet is a soldering pencil in the 25 to 40 Watt range.  If at all possible, avoid off-brand or Radio-Shack brand irons.  They are typically referred to as "wood burners" by serious electronics guys.  Their temperatures fluctuate wildly during use and they are cheaply made and thus will not last long.  Temperature control is almost a necessity, but BitPop's temperature-fixed iron will definitely be better than no temperature control at all.

Personally, my favorite iron is the Weller WESD51 Soldering Station.  Definitely the most comfortable iron I have ever used.  Of course, the only irons I've used are it and a 35W Radio-Shack wood-burner.  It's $130 at Amazon.com, and unlike the wood-burners, it should last you for years if you take care of it.

Last edited by scienceguy8 (Feb 24, 2010 4:26 pm)

Earthling

I just have a simple 20 Watt Soldering Iron that plugs straight into the wall. I've had it for years and its the only one I've ever needed. Its got a nice pointed tip so it can work on small things

This is the exact one I've got
http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fasten … plug/73960

It's great I've done copious amounts of circuit bending with it, guitar effects building, synth/noise devices etc. Don't need anything fancy

York, Yorkshire
scienceguy8 wrote:

Temperature control is almost a necessity, but BitPop's temperature-fixed iron will definitely be better than no temperature control at all.

Out of interest, why would you recommend temperature control for PCB soldering?  I've reworked everything from SMT netbook and laptop motherboards to through hole fibreglass boards out of a Marshall JCM 800 stack.  Never felt the need for more or less temperature.  Not wishing to argue, just wanting to know why you would need it.

Last edited by BitPop (Feb 24, 2010 5:10 pm)

Italy

thanks a lot people for your advices. Though, something I should have mentioned before, is that I live in Italy, and most brands you named are not really to be found round here. But i will try to do my best to find something similar...
I found a soldering iron from an Italian brand with 2 watt settings: 20 and 40, with a really small 0,2 conic tip (which I'm told is a good thing).
http://cgi.ebay.it/EWIG-RAPID-20-40-sal … 1206wt_942
could that one be ok? I'm willing to spend what it takes to have something I can work with in the next years, but at the same time I don't want to spend more than I really need.

Earthling

Go for it mate if you really want to. I seriously wouldn't spend more than that though, it's quite a lot. I don't speak Italian, but I found this: http://cgi.ebay.it/SALDATORE-A-STAGNO-T … 4490wt_842

It looks alright and it costs much less than the one you listed. Its a cheap one but it might be all you need. It's your call really.

Italy

Hmm, will think about it. Thanks a lot for the link!
Experience tells me not to buy the cheapest, and the other one I've found seems like a good compromise... but I'll think about it.

Minneapolis
BitPop wrote:
scienceguy8 wrote:

Temperature control is almost a necessity, but BitPop's temperature-fixed iron will definitely be better than no temperature control at all.

Out of interest, why would you recommend temperature control for PCB soldering?  I've reworked everything from SMT netbook and laptop motherboards to through hole fibreglass boards out of a Marshall JCM 800 stack.  Never felt the need for more or less temperature.  Not wishing to argue, just wanting to know why you would need it.

Sure thing. Normally I like to have it get as hot as possible without de-laminating the PCB, but in some cases you have very heat sensitive components which should not get that hot. Also, I use my iron for more than just electronics work, I also use it for doing stained glass leading, and there you really need to get accurate temp control to melt the solder but not the lead came. Gets tricky without the tem controller, for sure. Also, after you've used a temp controlled iron, you really begin to see how it comes in handy. Many times you simply don't need to have the thing running full blast, and if you keep the temps just right for the solder you are using etc, you can get more work time into the joints too without risk of burning your joints or components.

I recommend using 20W rather than 40.

York, Yorkshire

Thanks for clearing that up Arfink.  Always seemed to manage OK with the WTCP51, I must just have good technique big_smile

York, Yorkshire

Aoyue :
http://cgi.ebay.it/Elettronica-di-Consu … 3347902740

Weller
http://cgi.ebay.it/Weller-Stazione-Sald … 586wt_1165

smile

Last edited by BitPop (Feb 25, 2010 1:18 pm)

York, Yorkshire

If you are going to spend more than 10 minutes per session, I'd recommend you go for a proper solder station.  I have two normal irons at home (both Antex), and they're OK for small jobs, but any more than 10 minutes and they just get annoying!  The cables always get in the way, the don't get hot enough, quick enough, and take ages to cool down.

That Weller heats up in about 30 seconds, the cable is low voltage, so very light and flexible and it cools down in a couple of minutes.  It's not cheap though.

I have my eye on a CSI or Aoyue for home smile

Last edited by BitPop (Feb 25, 2010 1:32 pm)

MA

These are what I use...

What's your opinion on these?

Last edited by Turtle413 (Feb 25, 2010 1:48 pm)

Minneapolis

I never use a gun iron. Never ever. It's too clunky to hold on to and gets far too hot for electronics work.