MA

I find the gun to be good for wires... the iron doesn't seem to heat the wires hot enuff to melt solder... but yeah the gun I only use for wires, and sometimes I end up melting some of the plastic tubing, which I just end up covering w/ liquid tape anyway..

Milan, Italy
<|¦¬{D wrote:

Go for it mate if you really want to. I seriously wouldn't spend more than that though, it's quite a lot. I don't speak Italian, but I found this: http://cgi.ebay.it/SALDATORE-A-STAGNO-T … 4490wt_842

It looks alright and it costs much less than the one you listed. Its a cheap one but it might be all you need. It's your call really.

I bought 2 of those cheap one and they got broken in 1 week of usage...

..then one year ago i bought a similar one spending 15€ and I'm still using it without any problem.

Italy

Thanks a lot everybody for you feedback! I'll keep you posted on the outcome of this adventure, if you're interested... smile

York, Yorkshire

Looks like I might be buying a Midibox kit, so I think I'll be shopping for a solder station for home pretty soon smile

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

If you're willing to invest. The Hakko 936 will be the only iron you'll ever need to purchase.
I use 2 of them at work and 1 at home. everything on the pencil is replaceable. and tips are cheap!

It will run you abut $80-90 online. Tips are usually $5-10

York, Yorkshire

Hakko = Aoyue? (=CSI?)

EDIT: Chinese copy perhaps.  They seem to come well recommended.  Never been able to find a Hakko supplier in the UK (not one I'd trust anyway:()

EDIT: Hakko 936 seems to have been discontinued in September 09.  Replacement model : http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_fx888.html

Last edited by BitPop (Feb 26, 2010 2:16 pm)

York, Yorkshire

I just bit the bullet and ordered a brand new Weller WTCP 51 from Rapid...and some flux removal spray.   £150 all in with next day delivery, but should last me for life smile

So, on with the SammichSID!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
BitPop wrote:

I just bit the bullet and ordered a brand new Weller WTCP 51 from Rapid...and some flux removal spray.   £150 all in with next day delivery, but should last me for life smile

So, on with the SammichSID!

you can buy 936's on ebay

where did you get a sammichSID kit?  are there any more available. I dont have time to live on their message board to wait for one.. i'd rather just buy one.

Los Angeles

Side note: Gun irons are great for heavy duty soldering such as car battery wiring and other automotive work. They are not designed for electronics / PCB work and should never be used for that.

germany

i am using a WELLER WHS-40 (costs about 60 euros)... and it's all i need. i can recommend that one. i had a cheap 15-euro-station before, but that just stopped working somehow after a year and when trying the weller after that, the soldering feeling was like on a new level. smile  it heats better and faster and more constant than a cheap station does. plus having temperature control is important, but e.g. features like a digital display (as the WHS-40D has) a not really needed... and the solderiron is not fixed to the station, so it can be easily replaced. cheap stations often have it mounted to the station so that the whole thing goes defect and not just one part of it. beside that bonus the weller seems to last longer, too.

Last edited by gp2xkid (Jun 27, 2010 5:28 am)

Chicago IL
arottenbit wrote:

tomagatchi

killadelphia

Weller WESD51 4 Lyfe.

I went through so many of those fucking pencil shits - don't bother with them.  You have to replace the tips on those fuckers all the time.  Adds up to the cost of this iron VERY quickly.  I have had the same tip on this thing for almost a year now and i solder very often.  Temperature control is key for me because i like to desolder chips for fun.  I memorize specific temperatures that work with certain applications - comes in very handy.

Last edited by animalstyle (Jun 27, 2010 5:42 am)

Central-ish VA
animalstyle wrote:

Weller WESD51 4 Lyfe.

I went through so many of those fucking pencil shits - don't bother with them.  You have to replace the tips on those fuckers all the time.  Adds up to the cost of this iron VERY quickly.  I have had the same tip on this thing for almost a year now and i solder very often.  Temperature control is key for me because i like to desolder chips for fun.  I memorize specific temperatures that work with certain applications - comes in very handy.

I have this same one, cannot back up Animalstyle enough here.

Milan, Italy
Saskrotch wrote:
arottenbit wrote:

tomagatchi

R.I.P. sad
Batteries died 2 months ago..

Now i have a pokewalker. lol.

United Kingdom

Damn what a shame sad Im giving up the soldering iron soon due to having to go to university sad

Some of these irons look great but as soon as i get my remaining backlight kits that will perhaps be the last of my modding days.. for at least 3 years wink

Quick Tip:

If anything that is USB breaks it is extremely easy to fix, my wireless USB adapter broke last week but luckily i managed to pry it open and solder back the USB pins back onto the PCB overall saving me £65 than buying a new one wink

Norwich, UK

go to Maplin if your in the UK,
buy the cheap Maplin one,
buy a cheap spring stand and solder sponges from a diy store,
go home, turn on the soldering iron, file around the tip quickly then tin the tip straight afterwards,

and you have a really effective soldering iron

mine has lasted for over a year and i'm always circuit bending, fixing, modifying, building circuits, etc, anything i can get my hands on cheap